NESRGB Expansion Audio Missing.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ChuChu Flamingo

NESRGB Expansion Audio Missing.

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

I've noticed my AV New Famicom doesn't have expansion audio. I got it RGB modded from lord voultar around five years ago. I asked him on twitter and in email what may be the problem and got radio silence about it.

Any ideas what it may be? I never tested expansion audio on here until years later after the mod.

Below is an example of what im talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=744lpIDj9JY

thanks
Lopenator

Re: NESRGB Expansion Audio Missing.

Post by Lopenator »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:I've noticed my AV New Famicom doesn't have expansion audio. I got it RGB modded from lord voultar around five years ago. I asked him on twitter and in email what may be the problem and got radio silence about it.

Any ideas what it may be? I never tested expansion audio on here until years later after the mod.

Below is an example of what im talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=744lpIDj9JY

thanks
Open up the console and confirm it was actually done.
ChuChu Flamingo

But this is a new av famicom. It had expansion sound by default. Unless you mean make sure it is wired up to the nesrgb audio circuitry
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

This happened to me. Paid a modder to install an NESRGB into an AV Famicom and they forgot to wire up the expansion audio to the NESRGB's audio circuit. It is an additional step that modders might forget if they're used to NES installs.

I fixed it myself with my very beginner soldering skills. You solder a wire from a pin on the cartridge slot to a point on the NESRGB board meant to mix the expansion audio in. I think a resistor might have been added in there too but of course google the process. If you need a modder to do it, they'll be able to do it in 10 minutes...
Kez

Post by Kez »

Yeah, the AV Famicom has native support for expansion audio but the audio output on the NESRGB takes the audio signal direct from the CPU and does not include the expansion audio. On an AV famicom, the simplest option would be to just not use the NESRGB circuitry at all, and instead run the AV Famicom's audio output directly to your RGB AV port.

You can also mix the audio from the cartridge pins into the NESRGB, but I think you would also need to cut some traces or remove some components to do that properly..
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Kez wrote:Yeah, the AV Famicom has native support for expansion audio but the audio output on the NESRGB takes the audio signal direct from the CPU and does not include the expansion audio. On an AV famicom, the simplest option would be to just not use the NESRGB circuitry at all, and instead run the AV Famicom's audio output directly to your RGB AV port.

You can also mix the audio from the cartridge pins into the NESRGB, but I think you would also need to cut some traces or remove some components to do that properly..
Now that you remind me, I did have to cut a trace to do it that way.
ChuChu Flamingo

I tried contacting Voultar before this thread was made on both twitter and email and no response on this issue. I always find it funny how he talks about professionalism but can't answer an email.

I asked if he wired it up correctly. Thus far all I've got is radio silence.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:I tried contacting Voultar before this thread was made on both twitter and email and no response on this issue. I always find it funny how he talks about professionalism but can't answer an email.

I asked if he wired it up correctly. Thus far all I've got is radio silence.
I would have low expectations of voultar responding to you.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk
ChuChu Flamingo

So whats the best way to remedy this on my AV Famicom?

A real shame I never heard back from Lord Voultar. For someone being a perfectionist how could you miss wiring up expansion audio? Especially for how much I paid for it.