Rhotronix VGA/HDMI consolized Nintendo DS

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RebeL9

Rhotronix VGA/HDMI consolized Nintendo DS

Post by RebeL9 »

Rhotronix is working on a consolized Nintendo DS that allows for VGA and HDMI output.
I’m stoked for this since until now there haven’t been any easy method of outputting NDS image. Either you needed to get the shot expensive Nitro DS or use composite.
Anyway my main concern is how to output the image to my two BVM 20F1E. Rhotronix said it will be possible to output the top screen to one TV and the bottom to another.
Was there ever a good DB15 VGA solution for the 20F1E?
Fudoh

Re: Rhotronix VGA/HDMI consolized Nintendo DS

Post by Fudoh »

Was there ever a good DB15 VGA solution for the 20F1E?
you can use any sync combiner that outputs RGBS or RGsB from a RGBHV source. E.g. any of the Extron RGB interfaces.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Aren't these consolizer mods rather difficult? If you have to pay someone to do the mod, you're spending more than what the DS cost for a destructive mod. Of course there would still be demand. I'd rather stream off a real console than have an amateur-looking camera setup. Too bad the first product does Composite and not even S-Video.

So this new product will do 240p over VGA? DS is native progressive scan so hopefully there is an option for 480p or higher for normal CRT computer monitors versus tossing out half the vertical resolution.

240p/480i RGBHV to in spec RGBS that a 20F1E will display is more electrically complicated than I thought. The main problem is proper csync aka the "S" is not merely the composite of H and V. It additionally has horizontal sync pulses during the vertical blanking periods that are half the width and double the frequency of the normal pulses. For in spec csync, the different pulses have to be artificially generated and the original ones removed during vblank. Can be done with a timer chip or microcontroller. I'm not aware of such a product that anyone is making today for 240p/480i. I guess not much demand and probably requires console-specific timings due to all their wonky syncs.

Best off with one of the Extron RGB interfaces such as the Crosspoint that Fudoh mentioned. I theorize that a $13 Renesas EL4511 will work for HV -> S over 240p. Issue is the end product would be much more expensive than someone skilled with $1 microcontrollers.

Else if you can output Composite video and RGBHV at the same time, can run Composite through a cheap sync stripping chip and form that into RGBS. Normal Composite video has these half width/double frequency pulses. Or maybe Composite video itself will work as 75 ohm sync like it would for consumer SCART CRTs.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Where did you get the info on this device?
Would be interesting to get a spec on the VGA output.. would be kinda weird to do 240p RGBHV so perhaps it is RGBS in a VGA connector, or perhaps it is linedoubled 480p (which wouldn't work with your BVMs without some downscaling).

Go for an Extron RGB as Fudoh mentions (not a Crosspoint - that's a switch. Something like RGB 201, 203, etc).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Looks good, lots of DS/3DS consolized options have been rumored to be in development before but none have come out yet. I'd skip straight to the 3DS if I were working on one though, given GBA and below on a TV are all well-covered by plenty of other options.

For these though I always question how much of a consolized experience can really be offered. Gamecube or GBA Consolizer, grab a wireless controller and you're all set. Every DS solution has been using the DS itself as the controller though. Good for a streaming setup where you're sitting at a desk in front of a monitor or two. Probably pretty bad for a living room or bedroom, sitting on a couch with a 10ft. HDMI cord coming out of the DS. Some method of interfacing with a tablet, phone, Wii U Gamepad, or something else with a touchscreen would really be required for these to reach their full potential in my opinion, which is no easy request.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Kez wrote:Where did you get the info on this device?
Would be interesting to get a spec on the VGA output.. would be kinda weird to do 240p RGBHV so perhaps it is RGBS in a VGA connector, or perhaps it is linedoubled 480p (which wouldn't work with your BVMs without some downscaling).

Go for an Extron RGB as Fudoh mentions (not a Crosspoint - that's a switch. Something like RGB 201, 203, etc).
He mentioned that he's working on this mod on his Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rhotronix/status/15 ... 7374084096
Since there is a consolized GBA like this one: https://www.game-tech.us/product/gbacon ... ll-case-2/
It surprises me that no one have made a consolized NDS or 3DS.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Just dropping in with a mild necro-bump to say FART, is wish there was any progress on this since (seemingly) 2022. Sounds like some potential for some serious fun, omitting stuff like those glyph things you have to do in Dawn of Sorrow (got naturally genetic shaky hands, that game was incredible except for those awful, awful parts.)

15kHz 'VGA' in this projects would be super cool, but I'd be quire enthusiastic either way. Hopefully the project is alive and kicking to some degree!
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

kitty666cats wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:22 am Just dropping in with a mild necro-bump to say FART, is wish there was any progress on this since (seemingly) 2022. Sounds like some potential for some serious fun, omitting stuff like those glyph things you have to do in Dawn of Sorrow (got naturally genetic shaky hands, that game was incredible except for those awful, awful parts.)

15kHz 'VGA' in this projects would be super cool, but I'd be quire enthusiastic either way. Hopefully the project is alive and kicking to some degree!
I haven't checked Twitter, but I wonder if he's still working on it. I know they have the NDS output to TV, I'd be interested in a console for sure