RGB without OSD?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Edgecrusher

RGB without OSD?

Post by Edgecrusher »

I have infront of me a crt that was part of an industrial machine. I'm examining the CB's and have identified the jungle as a Mitsubishi M51387P. Question is: can I mod this chip without the usual R,B,G OSD out pins. I see a blanking pin, R,B, and G out. Would those be the same? I think in this industrial crt set all the OSD settings are physical adjustments on the boards with pots and switches
Edgecrusher

Re: RGB without OSD?

Post by Edgecrusher »

Here are shots of the video board. I'm not having any luck finding schematics online for this Toshiba 'crt display module' D9CM-01A.
I have harnesses coming in and going out with RGB wires. The harness on the short end is the input and the long side the jumper going to the board on the tube (high side?). So being industrial I'm wondering if any modding even needs to be done or if I'll be able to just connect my VGA directly to that input harness with the addition of a VGA connector instead of the proprietary connector on this crt module? Could I be so lucky to have a RGB input already?
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

You would use the R, G, B In pins, not the outputs. Page 12 of the datasheet shows an example circuit for connecting RGB to it:

https://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/ ... 1387P.html

What kind of video inputs does it have already?
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

It has what i believe is referred to as a 20pin Honda connector straight from the source. Il get pics soon.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Does this display have a higher line count that consumer sets?
matt

Post by matt »

That sure looks like it's set up for RGB inputs already. It's likely to be fixed frequency though so you might not be able to use it with a lot of resolutions.
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

yeah, I'm surprised to not find much detail as far as specs go. This is commercial and you'd expect service information to be out there. Maybe I just haven't found it.
I pulled it out of the electronics scrap where I work so I'm not certain of it's condition. It was either replaced with an LCD which is likely or it went out completely.
Yesterday I torn it down to clean it up and wired a power plug to it so I could power it up on my bench. I have yet to do anything to try to get a signal to it.
When I powered it up there wasn't the usual static sound or flicker on the screen. There is a switch on one of the CB's to put it into 'service' mode which I did and that drew a bright line across the middle'ish part of the screen.
That's all I've done so far and I probably won't get back into it until next week as I just scrounged up a 20" Toshiba set with a snapped CB to play with.
I did trace the circuit leading up to the R,G,B inputs and found this
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

matt wrote:That sure looks like it's set up for RGB inputs already. It's likely to be fixed frequency though so you might not be able to use it with a lot of resolutions.
I would guess not many games play well on a 9inch screen either
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

tongshadow wrote:Does this display have a higher line count that consumer sets?
no idea
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Matt is right looks like its ready to accept RGB already. If those RGB wires are indeed connected to the RGB in pins you should be able to just tap right into them! You'll need to identify your composite sync (more likely) or H&V sync (less likely), but that is all.

Matt is also right that this is almost 100% certainly a locked frequency-- its probably 15 KHz (just going by screen size). Looks like something that would have come out of an old CNC machine or similar. Can you tell if the tube has burn in by looking at it? Should be pretty easy to spot.
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

Oh it definitely has burn in lol. It came off a turret punch which is probably numeric controlled.