PS2 Broadband + HDD Adapter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ryu

PS2 Broadband + HDD Adapter

Post by ryu »

Does anyone know if there are region incompatibilities with the original sony adapters?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Endymion

Re: PS2 Broadband + HDD Adapter

Post by Endymion »

None.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

While you're at this, look up adapters to use an SD card instead of an HDD, performance is much faster across the board and unlike the HDD it'll be completely silent. You can also go with an SSD but that will likely be more expensive than an SD card and adapters to go from IDE to SD (or IDE to SATA to SD), and you'd still need SATA adapter or modified/3rd party network adapter.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

fernan1234 wrote:While you're at this, look up adapters to use an SD card instead of an HDD, performance is much faster across the board and unlike the HDD it'll be completely silent. You can also go with an SSD but that will likely be more expensive than an SD card and adapters to go from IDE to SD (or IDE to SATA to SD), and you'd still need SATA adapter or modified/3rd party network adapter.
Does it make any practical difference? HDD noise is modest compared to the system fan. I'd take an SSD over SD; prices are comparable at lower capacity (for DRAMless SSDs) and in favor of SSD at higher capacity.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Lord of Pirates wrote:Does it make any practical difference? HDD noise is modest compared to the system fan. I'd take an SSD over SD; prices are comparable at lower capacity (for DRAMless SSDs) and in favor of SSD at higher capacity.
I'd say it makes a big difference in terms of noise, especially if you have one of the PS2 models with a quiet fan. I realized that most of the noise actually comes from the HDD spinning up. An even bigger difference is in speed, just stuff like your game list loading up in OPL is way faster. I'm pretty happy with my SD card setup also because I have an SD card extender that hangs outside the console, that way I can simply take the card out, plug it into my PC and add games/covers stuff easily with HDL dumb and OPL manager.

For a set and forget game collection though, a larger capacity SSD would probably be a better choice though.