Will a LG Ultrawide 21:9 render DBAC without borders?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Skykid

Will a LG Ultrawide 21:9 render DBAC without borders?

Post by Skykid »

Model: LG ultrawide 29um58-p 2019 (to be exact), 21:9 aspect.

Just wondering if I can run DBAC on Steam, PS4 or Switch full screen on this without borders on the top and bottom?

I’ve seen mame running DARIUS I & II on this aspect ratio full, but I’m not sure about DBAC and info on Google seems contradictory. Thanks for the help!
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

bobrocks95

Re: Will a LG Ultrawide 21:9 render DBAC without borders?

Post by bobrocks95 »

Arcade original is 2 16:9 monitors side-by-side (well, one has a mirror to hide the bezels I think), so you'd need a 32:9 ultrawide to have zero borders.

Napkin math makes me think even the 2 screen version of Darius II wouldn't quite fit on a 21:9 display at full height and proper 8:3 aspect ratio? (24:9 equivalent I think?)
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

bobrocks95 wrote:Arcade original is 2 16:9 monitors side-by-side (well, one has a mirror to hide the bezels I think), so you'd need a 32:9 ultrawide to have zero borders.

Napkin math makes me think even the 2 screen version of Darius II wouldn't quite fit on a 21:9 display at full height and proper 8:3 aspect ratio? (24:9 equivalent I think?)
You're totally right of course. The confusion from what I saw was because DBAC was released in 2015 with borked 21:9 Ultrawide support that didn't work properly and bordered the screen both horizontally and on the vertical edges. I believe it's since been patched but borders will still remain on top.

I suppose a 32:9 is the best catch-all really for Darius I & II, DBAC and stuff like NWA, Rastan Saga III etc (or a 49" Ultrawide 5120 x 1440, which is also 31:9 but very expensive).

Would be interested to hear any feedback from folks using Ultrawides of any size for these games.

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Man every 32:9 I see is really expensive. There's a Sceptre for about $500 USD on Amazon, but that's a brand I've never heard of- next cheapest is close to $900, most sit around $1,000+. MSRP for the Sceptre is $999 so I don't know why it's so cheap on Amazon really (1080p 32:9 might just be really unpopular, maybe people are looking for 1440p or more for something so expensive).

Considering the games you mentioned are all going to be locked to 60Hz anyways, have you thought about looking for a couple cheap 1080p 60Hz displays that have really small bezels? Rtings shows they're down to about 0.5cm at this point. For maybe $400 USD with a nice stand and 2 decent monitors you'd have a 1cm bezel in the middle. Two good 1440p high refresh rate displays will probably be cheaper than any of the 32:9's too. Depends on how much that bezel bothers you I guess.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Can confirm DBCS runs borderless on a 32:9
Spoiler
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Stop teasing me!