CRT Emudriver 15 Khz - Radeon RX6400

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Master of the Wind

CRT Emudriver 15 Khz - Radeon RX6400

Post by Master of the Wind »

Hello guys. I have and old PC with an AMD APU (E-350) that works fine. But even PS1 is too hard for it to emulate at full speed. 8-bit/16-bit and old arcade games runs well, but even CPS3 makes it struggle. I have an HDMI to componet transcoder, with Super Resolutions works fine.

A friend of mine offered me a complete Dell Optiplex that is a LOT better option than my actual computer (i7 2600, 16GB RAM), that has a Radeon RX6400. I would love it, so I can play Dreamcast/Gamecube/PS2 games without any issue.

The problem is I cannot find any reference to that videocard with CRT Emudriver. The most modern on CRT Emudriver download page are "Radeon RX Vega Series Graphics" and "Radeon™ RX 500 Series Graphics", not RX 6000 series.

Anyone tried running CRT Emudriver with a similar GPU?
BazookaBen

Re: CRT Emudriver 15 Khz - Radeon RX6400

Post by BazookaBen »

RX6400 is too new for CRT Emudriver. And it doesn't have analog output. You can get by with HDMI>analog RGB but it needs super resolutions which aren't compatible with a lot of steam games.

So trade somebody the RX6400 for a R9 380x or R9 280x.

Or if it's a low-profile Dell case that won't fit a full-size card, just sell the RX6400, buy something older and low profile like a r7 250, and pocket the rest of the cash
Master of the Wind

Thank you for your reply!

Honestly I don't care much about Steam games. I could not find any retro-styled game that has 4:3 aspect ratio, letterboxes looks awful to me, so is not that much of a loss for me. So the main focus would be PS2 and Gamecube as the most modern games.

Also, I can run Moonlight, set custom resolution and stretch aspect ratio and stream games from my "modern" gaming PC if needed (I've done that only with Linux a long time ago , but I guess that could be someway done in Windows).

If it works with super resolutions I'm not mad. My only concern is if Emudriver can be installed or not.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

If your CRT has a "16:9" mode, new Steam games will look just fine at 424x240, 427x240, etc..

Don't worry about the black bars on the screen. That's just electrons not hitting the glass. You don't need to let something not happening bother you
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

BazookaBen wrote:If your CRT has a "16:9" mode, new Steam games will look just fine at 424x240, 427x240, etc..

Don't worry about the black bars on the screen. That's just electrons not hitting the glass. You don't need to let something not happening bother you
What's the widest res that a 15khz CRT can display using CRT Emudriver? I believe the new TMNT game is 480x270 but I think I read 480 is too much for 15khz CRTs (with a WS option) do you know if it's possible to display the image with cut-off sides, say at 427 or something? EDIT: Maybe it's the vertical res of 270 that is the issue? In that case I wonder if you can crop the top and bottom
Master of the Wind

BazookaBen wrote:If your CRT has a "16:9" mode, new Steam games will look just fine at 424x240, 427x240, etc..

What I mean is, stretching an 16:9 game into 4:3 looks deformed to me, and keeping 16:9 aspect ratio on a 4:3 screen waste too much space showing nothing above and below the game, that could be used for displaying the games.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Master of the Wind wrote: and keeping 16:9 aspect ratio on a 4:3 screen waste too much space showing nothing above and below the game, that could be used for displaying the games.
Who cares if nothing is above and below, what matters is the game in the middle. If it is too small, sit closer!
Gunstar wrote: What's the widest res that a 15khz CRT can display using CRT Emudriver? I believe the new TMNT game is 480x270 but I think I read 480 is too much for 15khz CRTs (with a WS option) do you know if it's possible to display the image with cut-off sides, say at 427 or something? EDIT: Maybe it's the vertical res of 270 that is the issue? In that case I wonder if you can crop the top and bottom
Yeah, it's the vertical resolution that matters. CRTs have no way of telling what the horizontal resolution is. They just change intensity of the electron guns as dictated by the signal coming in.

I couldn't figure out a way to crop TMNT.

The only way I was able to play that was by dropping my refresh rate to 55hz. 270p at 55hz is ~15.7kHz horizontal frequency, like 240p at 60hz.

The problem with that is that the sprite movement and stage scrolling is hard coded to an internal 60hz update, so you get some pretty bad stuttering from movement skipping ahead 5 times a second
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Ah, that's a shame, I think if it was possible a top/bottom crop might have been a good compromise. Maybe something like the OSSC Pro can cater to this use case.
Master of the Wind

BazookaBen wrote:
Master of the Wind wrote: and keeping 16:9 aspect ratio on a 4:3 screen waste too much space showing nothing above and below the game, that could be used for displaying the games.
Who cares if nothing is above and below, what matters is the game in the middle. If it is too small, sit closer!

OK... sure.... I just won't use it for steam games... It's ok if other people like it, I just don't. My only interest is play old emulated games.