Looking for some advice on an LCD monitor.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Alske

Looking for some advice on an LCD monitor.

Post by Alske »

I've decided I want to get an LCD monitor for use with my computer and also to play games. The DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1 appears to be a decent monitor for a good price.

Some specific questions about this monitor:

1) Has anyone used this monitor?
2) Does it do HD?
3) How about the response time? Do bullets ghost?
4) The standard neck appears to support tate, but are there wall-mounts that you can use with this guy?

And finally: Does anyone know of any better monitors?

Thanks guys,

-Alske
Vexorg

Re: Looking for some advice on an LCD monitor.

Post by Vexorg »

Alske wrote:I've decided I want to get an LCD monitor for use with my computer and also to play games. The DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1 appears to be a decent monitor for a good price.

Some specific questions about this monitor:

1) Has anyone used this monitor?
2) Does it do HD?
3) How about the response time? Do bullets ghost?
4) The standard neck appears to support tate, but are there wall-mounts that you can use with this guy?

And finally: Does anyone know of any better monitors?

Thanks guys,

-Alske
1, I haven't used this particular monitor, but I have used a Dell 2001FP (20" 4:3 monitor with similar specs) as my main desktop monitor for several years now.

2. I run my Xbox360 on mine at 720P resolution (using the VGA cable) and it works quite well for the purpose. I do not believe that one has component input though, so you might need to use a component/VGA transcoder, depending on what your source is. The reports I've read indicate that the monitor handles 720P reasonably well.

3. I personally don't see noticable ghosting on mine, but people's eyes tend to have different sensitivities to such things. The only way you're really going to be able to tell is to see one for yourself.

4. Yes. The connection between the monitor and the stand has been standardized, and any VESA-standard wall mount will work with it.

As for better monitors, I've been quite happy with the one I have, but depending on your budget, you might be better off going up a level and getting the Dell 2405FPW. It's a 24" widescreen LCD, has built-in component inputs and higher resolution.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
elvis

Post by elvis »

I'd have to agree with the above. The 2005FPW is a widescreen, and if you are using this as a dedicated shmup station, you're going to get squashed images. The 2001FP is normal 4:3, and as such will actually be taller (wider in tate) than the 2005FPW due to the ratio.

If however this will double as a screen for watching movies, then it's something else to consider.

According to the Dell website, both have composite input which is great for consoles.
Alske

Post by Alske »

Vexorg wrote:
1, I haven't used this particular monitor, but I have used a Dell 2001FP (20" 4:3 monitor with similar specs) as my main desktop monitor for several years now.

2. I run my Xbox360 on mine at 720P resolution (using the VGA cable) and it works quite well for the purpose. I do not believe that one has component input though, so you might need to use a component/VGA transcoder, depending on what your source is. The reports I've read indicate that the monitor handles 720P reasonably well.

3. I personally don't see noticable ghosting on mine, but people's eyes tend to have different sensitivities to such things. The only way you're really going to be able to tell is to see one for yourself.

4. Yes. The connection between the monitor and the stand has been standardized, and any VESA-standard wall mount will work with it.

As for better monitors, I've been quite happy with the one I have, but depending on your budget, you might be better off going up a level and getting the Dell 2405FPW. It's a 24" widescreen LCD, has built-in component inputs and higher resolution.
Well, I'm planning on using it as my general purpose TV / PC monitor. I don't mind the black bars that will show up in TATE mode so long as the usual artifacts such as ghosting and color-bleeding aren't a problem.

Can most consoles do HD-output through S-Video or will I need to get a component to VGA/DVI converter?

The 2405FPW looks pretty sweet, but it is twice the cost.
nZero

Post by nZero »

No consoles will do even do progressive scan via S-Video, much less any HD resolutions.
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

its not just limited to consoles, you simple cannot trasmit anything above 480i (normal tv resolution) through Svideo. You either need Component or HDMI.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

From what I understand, the Dell monitors rotate the wrong way for most console tate applications. You won't have any problem with MAME, though.

There is a new Gateway widescreen 21" you might look into. From what I have seen I am very impressed, and it rotates in the opposite direction from the Dells (very smoothly and stably, with nearly infinite degrees of adjustment). Online feedback on it has been mixed, though. The worst thing I have heard about it is that the component/S/composite inputs deliver inexplicably dark images. If I were looking to buy, I might check this one out provided I could get it somewhere with no restocking fee on returns.
elvis

Post by elvis »

bigbadboaz wrote:From what I understand, the Dell monitors rotate the wrong way for most console tate applications. You won't have any problem with MAME, though.
Being an LCD, they aren't that heavy. Building some sort of custom stand would be a non-issue (or even just leaning it agains a wall with something to stop it sliding forwards).

It's not like the good old days of 35KG CRTs. :)
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

CRT for life.
elvis

Post by elvis »

oxtsu wrote:CRT for life.
Whilst not on topic, I totally agree.

You can pick up a 26" to 29" RGB monitor for half to a third that of a similar sized LCD or Plasma, and it will look so much better in comparison.

Space, heat and maintenance wise it's a bitch of course, but nothing looks more authentic for low-res games (or even hi-res if you get a multisync unit).
MDY

Post by MDY »

bigbadboaz wrote:From what I understand, the Dell monitors rotate the wrong way for most console tate applications. You won't have any problem with MAME, though.
A friend of mine had this problem with his monitor - however on most LCD's the VESA plate - (almost all LCD's have them now - means you can attach a different stand/wall mount) has 4 screw points on it - being exactly the same distence apart in a square.
What I suggested he did was remove the monitor from the plate (when horizontal), rotate the plate 90 degrees and reattach it horizontally - therefore the monitor will rotate the other way up..

Should work on most rotatable LCD's...
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Wells-Gardner multi-sync FTW.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
japtor

Post by japtor »

Vexorg wrote:As for better monitors, I've been quite happy with the one I have, but depending on your budget, you might be better off going up a level and getting the Dell 2405FPW. It's a 24" widescreen LCD, has built-in component inputs and higher resolution.
im not sure how it is over component (or any of the other analog connections), but at least over dvi, there is a little lag. its not a huge amount (a lot of people dont notice), but it screwed me up with shmups. some people have tried measuring it and its in the 25ms range or so.

i dont think the 20" one has any lag issues, but you might as well search around just in case. there might be other stuff, but i think theyve been fixed (bad backlight leaking is what i remember off the top of my head).

im not sure what input resolutions it takes, but it should be able to do 720p at least. the native res of that one is 1680x1050, so itd be scaling up 720p (1280x720) input, but no clue if itd take in and scale down 1080i/p input (1920x1080). on top of that, im guessing the dvi port doesnt have hdcp (digital content protection), so if you wanted to use hdmi-dvi to input into your screen, you could potentially get locked out of some content. but that all depends by what you mean by 'does it do hd' i guess.