Ikegami HTM-1990R sync issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
coderkind

Ikegami HTM-1990R sync issue

Post by coderkind »

Hi all,

I've an Ikegami HTM-1990R that I'd been using without issue until about a year ago (when I disconnected it). I've recently tried to reconnect it but can't seem to get sync working with either RGB or Component sources.

I've tried enabling/disabling RGB/YPbPr and sync in the menu accordingly but nothing I try seems to work; the picture remains wavy and unstable. The test images suggests maybe an issue with the centre of the image (with the black bar), but it's been so long since I've used the test menu that I can't remember if this is normal?

Here's some photos of what I'm seeing: https://imgur.com/a/PoPru4D

I've tried feeding it direct RGB/YPbPr, via an Extron Crosspoint (attenuated voltage) and also via an Extron RGB 580xi. Same results in all attempts.

When I feed it RGB, disconnecting the sync cable has no effect - same unstable, wavy image.

As I said, it was working perfectly without problems for years before I disconnected it, so I'm not sure what's going on (outside of me foolishly omitting a menu option, or some caps have gone).
fernan1234

Re: Ikegami HTM-1990R sync issue

Post by fernan1234 »

That's weird. Nothing else changed in your setup?

Looks like even the internal test patterns are affected (that black bar cutting across the middle is not normal), so that may be a monitor issue unfortunately. Hopefully you can figure it out as this model has a strong argument for best pro CRT ever made.

Did you check the buttons on the pull-out tray for anything being pressed/active there that shouldn't?
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

fernan1234 wrote:That's weird. Nothing else changed in your setup?
I was running a 100% SCART RGB setup via a gscartsw beforehand, so I've got to try and dig my gscartsw out and see if the sync tailoring that can do sorts anything, but I'm not sure if it'll matter for component (with the sync on green, which I think is just passed through).
HoldyourfireImahuman

Post by HoldyourfireImahuman »

Did you ever solve this? Exact same thing happened to me
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

HoldyourfireImahuman wrote:Did you ever solve this? Exact same thing happened to me
No; not yet. Hope to test it with other devices over the weekend and see if that affects anything.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Maybe just as a sanity check, have you guys checked if the internal test patterns are displayed with issues even when there is nothing connected to the monitor?
LordKirkis

Post by LordKirkis »

You guys ever figured out the issue with the Ikegami 1990r?
Fed

Post by Fed »

I would love to know if somebody has found the right recipie to have 0 sync distortion for analog video input.
I can only get a clean picture when inputting a 50hz signal, 60hz signal will always result is some flagging at the top of the screen, really puzzles me as to why 50hz and 60hz coming from the same hardware behave differently sync wise...
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

So I managed to get it working to an extent by resetting all presets on the monitor. Now, 240p/480i seems good. However, I'm experiencing extreme image-bending issues with 480p over component (I haven't tried RGBs since the reset). I didn't have any issues a while back with sync over component with 480p.

Example images here: https://imgur.com/a/pl01wcH
Gara

Post by Gara »

coderkind wrote:So I managed to get it working to an extent by resetting all presets on the monitor. Now, 240p/480i seems good. However, I'm experiencing extreme image-bending issues with 480p over component (I haven't tried RGBs since the reset). I didn't have any issues a while back with sync over component with 480p.

Example images here: https://imgur.com/a/pl01wcH
Are you using 4:3 mode with 480p? You need to use 16:9 mode and adjust the 4:3 image to fit. Example on my own 1990r
https://imgur.com/gallery/dFsUb5l

It seems to be a quirk of the monitor. 4:3 480p support and 240p/480i is real wonky
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Oh yeah all the HTMs have that quirk, for non-SD modes they only have 16:9 and a zoom 4:3 mode, but the latter only works with 720p and 1080i, but not 480p.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Ah; thanks a lot, both.

If I start messing about with the horizontal/vertical sizing with 480p content, does that affect only that type of input or would those sizing changes also affect 240p/480i inputs? I've put the monitor back into storage for the time being, so I'm unable to quickly check what you're suggesting.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

coderkind wrote:Ah; thanks a lot, both.

If I start messing about with the horizontal/vertical sizing with 480p content, does that affect only that type of input or would those sizing changes also affect 240p/480i inputs? I've put the monitor back into storage for the time being, so I'm unable to quickly check what you're suggesting.
Don't worry, the 16:9 480p sizing settings won't affect any of the other picture modes for the SD and HD resolutions. 720p and 1080i also save their own settings separately.

You may find that 480p won't fill the screen for some sources even when you max out the H/V settings, but it should be a small amount of underscan at most.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Yep yep I can confirm that each resolution has its own settings. It makes me wish it had 4 modes rather than 2 like on a Sony BVM. With 4:3 underscan, 4:3 overscan, 16:9 undercan, and 16:9 overscan you can have 4 different configurations of each resolution. Very handy

Anyone know why the 1990r and some other HTM monitors have active Chroma control on RGB? I was surprised to see the Chroma knob actually controls the color vibrancy with my various RGB systems.

I've heard it has something to do with how it internally processes RGB. Something like it converts RGB to YPbPr then back to RGB or something like that? Anyone know why it does that or basically any extra info or implications on how it processes things? It's just something I was curious about as none of my other monitors have this behavior.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Gara wrote:I've heard it has something to do with how it internally processes RGB. Something like it converts RGB to YPbPr then back to RGB or something like that? Anyone know why it does that or basically any extra info or implications on how it processes things? It's just something I was curious about as none of my other monitors have this behavior.
All of that could be part of the option to simulate SMPTE-C phosphor color space instead of the native EBU (can be enabled via dip switch inside the monitor). Just a guess though.