JVC D-Series Component No Color Issue and Solution.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Somnolus

JVC D-Series Component No Color Issue and Solution.

Post by Somnolus »

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I just wanted to leave a record in case other D-Series owners had the same problem I did. I bought a JVC avd201 crt recently, aside from some linearity and color calibration issues it worked great. However after getting it home, I discovered that the component inputs would not display any color. I tried multiple consoles and multiple inputs even used the wrong cables in the pb and pr inputs to see if they would produce an effect all to no avail. I did a full recap of the monitor only to find that didn't resolve the issue either. After working backwards from the service manual and testing with a multi-meter I was able to narrow the issue down to either the Micom chip or the smaller Difference_Color_Signal_Switch IC281. I discovered that while the component input was set to on the Micom Chip was only outputting 1.6v instead of the 4.8v the service manual shows. As a test to see if that really was the problem I connected a 3volt source to the SEL3 pin which worked until I took the source off. I tried again with a 5 volt source same story. I gave it one last try with a 9-volt battery and for some reason it worked and also permanently fixed the problem.

I hope someone finds this useful.

And if any of the experts here knows the technical reason for why my testing attempt ended up fixing the problem I would love to know.
Alexz7767

Re: JVC D-Series Component No Color Issue and Solution.

Post by Alexz7767 »

Somnolus wrote:I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I just wanted to leave a record in case other D-Series owners had the same problem I did. I bought a JVC avd201 crt recently, aside from some linearity and color calibration issues it worked great. However after getting it home, I discovered that the component inputs would not display any color. I tried multiple consoles and multiple inputs even used the wrong cables in the pb and pr inputs to see if they would produce an effect all to no avail. I did a full recap of the monitor only to find that didn't resolve the issue either. After working backwards from the service manual and testing with a multi-meter I was able to narrow the issue down to either the Micom chip or the smaller Difference_Color_Signal_Switch IC281. I discovered that while the component input was set to on the Micom Chip was only outputting 1.6v instead of the 4.8v the service manual shows. As a test to see if that really was the problem I connected a 3volt source to the SEL3 pin which worked until I took the source off. I tried again with a 5 volt source same story. I gave it one last try with a 9-volt battery and for some reason it worked and also permanently fixed the problem.

I hope someone finds this useful.

And if any of the experts here knows the technical reason for why my testing attempt ended up fixing the problem I would love to know.
I had this issue too. I don't know about all that, but in my case I had to select component in the user menu for AV-2, otherwise it acts as a composite input. That's why the green (luma) input got the sync signal but no color information.
Somnolus

Re: JVC D-Series Component No Color Issue and Solution.

Post by Somnolus »

In this case even after selecting component it would only receive the Luma signal. Whatever circuit controlled the other color information just wasn't working at all. I plugged in some audio cables and sent just random noise down the red and blue lines just to see if it did anything at all and nothing. The menu option was the one thing that made troubleshooting this issue annoying, every google search I tried was just people not turning component on.

This fix is for those who still can't get color even with component enabled.