This is it, the perfect modern gaming monitor (except price)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
XtraSmiley

This is it, the perfect modern gaming monitor (except price)

Post by XtraSmiley »

Check this bad boy out, 55", 1ms response time, AND, best of all, TATE mode, built in!

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/mo ... g970nnxgo/

My boy MKBHD does a quick review of it (at 2:40) and shows off some of the interesting features, like the multi-size options and wireless screen jog controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEiq0oCUb_8

Is this the best modern monitor for retro games, to include vert shmups? Who's got $3500 to find out?

-X
Fudoh

Re: This is it, the perfect modern gaming monitor (except pr

Post by Fudoh »

I wouldn't mind trying a bit of After Burner Climax on that one.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

I dont think a curved screen in TATE would work well.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

tongshadow wrote:I dont think a curved screen in TATE would work well.
You would think so, but it looks fine to me.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Huge and cool for the rotation feature, but $3500?? I'd have to go with a high end OLED at that point. Never used a curved screen, but seems like it would take some getting used to.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Weird Samsung would allow rotation for tiktok but not even think of the shmups applications, especially being a Korean company and all.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

I think the price is nuts, but it's a monitor not a TV, so maybe that is the reason. I'm not sure about the curve for TATE games either but I think it would be OK based on the picture.

The real question is will the TATE mode actually allow things to work properly. There was a TV in Australia a few years ago that would go TATE for phone videos (I'm too old for that shit!), but when the feature was activated, it would window the screen, so it was not a good candidate for us and our retro gaming needs.

$3500 is too steep for me, but if it did drop in price, say, under $2k, I could be tempted.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

More than being curved, it's a VA panel which gives you a very small sweet spot when vertical, made even smaller by its 55" size. You're going to get contrast issues on half the screen.

Do people really put these on a desk? 32" monitors are already comically large imo for actual normal desk usage. At 55" it would go where a TV would go. And if it's where you would put a TV anyways, you can get a 65" OLED and a fancy rotatable wall mount for less than $3k, which will look much better anyways. I don't understand the appeal of this "monitor".
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

XtraSmiley wrote: Is this the best modern monitor for retro games, to include vert shmups? Who's got $3500 to find out?
-X

I say this in world of people spending $2000 on a BKM-129X card before the clone and wannabes showboating their 9" PVM collection on Reddit with consumer level TVL. I agree with bobrocks95 comment.

I find I dislike curved monitors for retro gaming. Sorry to mention in 2nd thread but if you know someone in US with a Costco membership, I'm a fan of the MSI Optix 27" for $200. Same 1ms response time and 165 Hz and has 4:3 mode and custom color temperature if needed. No built-in tate mode / 90 degree image rotation but can buy a VESA rotating mount. Comes with its own mount and screws.

Curved model also exists. 1080p IPS good enough for me.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

IMO good PC monitors are the best, unless you insist on gaming on a tv.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I have a 27" 4K Samsung S80A monitor that can do tate (clockwise only), it's got pretty bright corners on dark screens but is otherwise pretty nice for gaming and Blu-ray watching, good enough for me anyways.

With new and better monitors coming out all the time, I think I'd rather just buy a new sub-$1000 monitor every few years rather than spend thousands on a single monitor. Unless I was mega-rich and not worried about retirement funds.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

VEGETA wrote:IMO good PC monitors are the best, unless you insist on gaming on a tv.
This. No shitty color/grey shifting, no blurry mess, no wrong aspect ratio and, above all, not expensive as hell.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

XtraSmiley wrote:Check this bad boy out, 55", 1ms response time, AND, best of all, TATE mode, built in!

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/mo ... g970nnxgo/

My boy MKBHD does a quick review of it (at 2:40) and shows off some of the interesting features, like the multi-size options and wireless screen jog controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEiq0oCUb_8

Is this the best modern monitor for retro games, to include vert shmups? Who's got $3500 to find out?

-X
It's an overpriced LCD with all the drawbacks. BFI on a LG OLED is the closest we can get to CRT motion and this will get nowhere close.

A much cheaper LG 55CX/C1 OLED with a rotating wall mount eats its lunch. You can even buy two LG 55G1s and have one in normal mode, have the other in TATE mode and still have $900 left. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-clas ... Variations
Or go God Mode and buy a LG 77C1 with a rotating wall mount and save about $850. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-clas ... Variations

You might find much better deals but you get the point but IMO you're insane if you get this over an OLED.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Just a quick PSA about 1000r screens if you care about your eyes.

Extended use will cause your perception of solid objects to warp. A flat screen will bulge out at you like a basketball.

If you look down a straight line it will bend, made life in the workshop hell.

Took well over 3 weeks or more to go away after I sold the screen.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I detest curved screens
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

maxtherabbit wrote:I detest curved screens
Hear, hear.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Syntax wrote:Just a quick PSA about 1000r screens if you care about your eyes.

Extended use will cause your perception of solid objects to warp. A flat screen will bulge out at you like a basketball.

That is interesting.
I personally like cureved monitors.
I use a 21:9 1800r screen at work and a 32:9 1000r screen at home (samsung odyssey) and have never had any issues.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Curved screen? Kill it with fire quickly!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Another issue here is 165Hz. It's slightly nicer to have 180Hz for even pulldown on a wider array of content.
bobrocks95 wrote:Do people really put these on a desk? 32" monitors are already comically large imo for actual normal desk usage.
Perhaps some people will get stress headaches from moving their eyes about a 32" screen, but for me it's great, even at 1440p. It's plenty of screen space for drawing, 3D modeling, text, etc. and you can always pair it with a smaller rotated screen for a vertical text feed, too. With a proper desk the top of a 32" should be about at eye level for most people, which is roughly ideal. Much bigger than 32" will start to be weird, though, unless you can bring the monitor down lower than most desks...I'd consider it, but I've got a big old boat of a legacy desk that cramps my style already.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

bobrocks95 wrote:More than being curved, it's a VA panel which gives you a very small sweet spot when vertical, made even smaller by its 55" size. You're going to get contrast issues on half the screen.
I think that's why it has the aggressive curve, and a recommended viewing distance of 80cm. That should be the sweetspot to get you even contrast across the whole screen
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Everyone I've heard of who has used a curved monitor doesn't have this problem. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the phrasing "Extended use will cause your perception of solid objects to warp" makes it sound like less of an individual thing than it is.

I sure wish it happened to everyone, then maybe companies would stop with this stupid curved monitor trend.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

ZellSF wrote:

Everyone I've heard of who has used a curved monitor doesn't have this problem. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the phrasing "Extended use will cause your perception of solid objects to warp" makes it sound like less of an individual thing than it is.

I sure wish it happened to everyone, then maybe companies would stop with this stupid curved monitor trend.
Just thought about this, but extended use of an Oculus Rift S for me caused searing eye pain, that extended into the next day or two. I didn't find anyone else online complaining about it, just typical nausea stuff which I actually didn't have. Seems like someone's going to have adverse reactions to most anything weird with vision.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

XtraSmiley wrote:I think the price is nuts, but it's a monitor not a TV, so maybe that is the reason.
It's not a monitor. It's a 55" smart TV. It has no DisplayPort inputs. It has their TV cinema processor. It has a full operating system running Tizen (it's a smart TV). It runs apps and features Amazon Alexa.

Too big to be used close-up, too curved to be used from far away, matte surface that hurts contrast ratios, and a pricetag nearly 3x an equivalent size LG C2 OLED. In what way is this the "perfect modern gaming monitor" when it's worse than an OLED or QD-OLED in almost every way? This thing is a gimmick.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Guspaz wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:I think the price is nuts, but it's a monitor not a TV, so maybe that is the reason.
It's not a monitor. It's a 55" smart TV. It has no DisplayPort inputs. It has their TV cinema processor. It has a full operating system running Tizen (it's a smart TV). It runs apps and features Amazon Alexa.

Too big to be used close-up, too curved to be used from far away, matte surface that hurts contrast ratios, and a pricetag nearly 3x an equivalent size LG C2 OLED. In what way is this the "perfect modern gaming monitor" when it's worse than an OLED or QD-OLED in almost every way? This thing is a gimmick.
Dude, who shit in your Cheerios (TM)?

Did you EVEN LOOK at the specs? It's got:

Humidity
10%~80%, non-Condensing %

Clearly, you've got some sort of anti-Samsung pro-LG bias going on. Can't really take what you say seriously.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

XtraSmiley wrote:
Did you EVEN LOOK at the specs? It's got:

Humidity
10%~80%, non-Condensing %

Clearly, you've got some sort of anti-Samsung pro-LG bias going on. Can't really take what you say seriously.
Umm.. What?
We apologise for the inconvenience
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Guys that monitor is old news.

Everybody's talking about the bendable Corsair ultrawide 1440p OLED now: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/xeneon-fl ... 7h491yhi7r

YOU decide how curved it is.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BazookaBen wrote:Guys that monitor is old news.

Everybody's talking about the bendable Corsair ultrawide 1440p OLED now: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/xeneon-fl ... 7h491yhi7r

That's freaking cool, but is it needed? No tate mode. So we need, self bending, tate, OLED...
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

How do you even accomplish that without distorting the shit out of the outer pixels?
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

BazookaBen wrote:Guys that monitor is old news.

I wonder how many curve adjustments it's rated for before damage or death.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

bobrocks95 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Just thought about this, but extended use of an Oculus Rift S for me caused searing eye pain, that extended into the next day or two. I didn't find anyone else online complaining about it, just typical nausea stuff which I actually didn't have. Seems like someone's going to have adverse reactions to most anything weird with vision.

I was shocked when it first happened, did a quick search and found others with the same issue.
When you have 20 20 vision you know something off pretty fast.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemaste ... ultrawide/

It's the same thing as wearing glasses that turn everything upside down for a week, eventually your brain shows the correct orientation.
But when you take off the glasses it's another week or more to readjust.

Curved monitors and skewed POV can EAD for all I care.
Last edited by Syntax on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.