Snes, OSSC, RetroTINK and Dejitter questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
LayrusQuinn

Snes, OSSC, RetroTINK and Dejitter questions

Post by LayrusQuinn »

Hi everyone! Since there's a lot of people with knowledge I've decidet to register and post the following questions, as I'm scrambling my head with problems.

What's the exact difference between OSSC and RetroTINK ( x2 SCART in specific ) ?

I'm using a Super Famicom without Dejitter mod with an FXPak PRO. With my OSSC I faced a lot of sync loss on my ASUS VG248QE even if it's listed as compatible for the OSSC.

I have been told that the RetroTINK is more compatible than the OSSC and it only requires the Dejitter mod with RetroTINK x5. Can someone enlight me some more? Any feedback / comparisons?

Also, any suggestion on which low response gaming monitor compatible with the RetroTINK x2 SCART?

Last info: I got no strange artifacts nor any problems on both composite and RGB on a CRT, but I don't know if the Super Famicom is going faulty and I don't have any knowledge about soldering and stuff like this (even if I'm trying to compensate it). Thanks in advance!
NewSchoolBoxer

Re: Snes, OSSC, RetroTINK and Dejitter questions

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

I'm not super knowledgeable on this for not owning the devices, but for lack of response, I'll answer.

You mention OSSC, RetroTINK 2X-SCART as well as RetroTINK 5X-Pro. This is clear but 2X-SCART is RGB-only, OSSC does RGB / Component and 2X-Pro and 5X-Pro do Composite / S-Video / Component. 2X = simple line doubler of 240/288p = output capped to 480p/576p. 4X = 720p and 5X = 1080p that OSSC also supports.

I can tell you that RetroTINK 2X-Pro and 2X-SCART use a PIC microprocessor instead of an FPGA for digital video processing (DSP), which significantly reduces the cost. On the other hand, OSSC's FPGA has much more advanced DSP. The DSP is the part that adds artificial scanlines, smoothing effects and so forth. OSSC is unsurprisingly a more advanced device than the 2X, such as being able to adjust the sampling phase and do more than 2X scaling. It's not exactly plug & play. Similar argument could be made for 5X-Pro that has an FPGA and costs a high $300.

The other significant difference is the video decoder chip that converts analog input into digital video. The compatible video inputs are due entirely to what the device's decoder chip can accept.

OSSC's chip doesn't play well with NTSC NES+SNES wonky sync. Is mostly why the dejitter mod exists. RetroTINK products I'm aware of use Analog's ADV family of video decoders which handle the wonky sync and don't need the dejitter mod. In fact, Siratoca who posts here too said that the mod messes up Composite and S-Video colors.

The OSSC compatibility list is not an official document. I asked about it once and someone tried to downplay the incompatibility and said latest firmware has better compatibility than what shipped. So try updating the firmware.

Siratoca's comments go on to state that the 5X-Pro doesn't need dejitter mod either since it regenerates the sync. Another view is the jitter can affect some scaled outputs but not all.

There is no perfect budget solution. I found a Japanese Twitter post of RetroTink 2X-Pro and 2X-SCART. For SNES, internet translation with image proof states Composite input is terrible, S-Video looks as good as RGB over SCART and that SCART input has downshifted pixels.

I'd say get 2X-Pro then but I see it costs $25 more than 2X-SCART (before shipping) and you already have the SCART cable for OSSC.

Low response gaming monitor? If scaler outputs in-spec HDMI then all monitors will display it. I like the 1ms response time MSI Optix 27" but that's just me. Comes with DisplayPort cable that you need for 165 Hz. HDMI limited to 144 Hz but obviously you're only sending 60 Hz here. I prefer the flat screen model over the curved for retro gaming and I've owned both.
copy

Re: Snes, OSSC, RetroTINK and Dejitter questions

Post by copy »

Just to add, the RetroTINK-5X Pro has different "Vertical Sync" settings that affect this:

Frame Lock: Behaves the same as the OSSC, passing through the sync as-is. If your display is incompatible with NES/SNES jittery sync, this mode will not work. However, with the dejitter mod installed, Frame Lock can be used successfully.

Triple Buffer: Regenerates a new, even sync, which will work with any display whether you have the dejitter mod or not.

Gen Lock: This was added in a recent firmware. The update notes say "This allows the RT5X to match the input frame rate with a regenerated clock which is more stable than Frame Lock." I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but it sounds like it may combine the compatibility of Triple Buffer with the original timing of Frame Lock.