KV32S15 won't turn on

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
CharlesMoyes

KV32S15 won't turn on

Post by CharlesMoyes »

I came across this KV32S15 that won't turn on, not even any diagnostic standby LED blinks. This means I suspect the power supply section does not work.

PHOTOS: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PzBYVofR2B91Nd2e6
SERVICE MANUAL: https://www.manualslib.com/products/Son ... 12003.html

I opened it up and discharged it. First thing I checked was the glass fuse, there was continuity, so it is fine. The two electrolytic capacitors near the power supply look fine, and other than a lot of dirt and dust (which I took some canned air to), everything seems to be okay.

A few things I'm struggling with:
- General diagnosis -- I am inclined to remove the other boards and strip it down to just the large D-board (which has the power supply section) for testing / measuring.

- The anode is large and not coming off even if I squeeze it. Am I not squeezing hard enough? Should I use the screw driver to push one of the sides of the clip in? I'm worried about damaging it? Any advice on how to remove the anode?

- How to remove this black plastic housing that forms a cubic cage on TOP of the D board itself with the plastic frame with the inputs on the rear and the other circuit boards mounted? Ideally, I can get to the bottom of the D board. Should I just try to continue removing parts one by one?

- How to diagnose and test? Should I try CAREFULLY measuring voltages with my meter with the D-board plugged in (and nothing else)? If so, how do I trigger a "power on"? I'd like to be able to find and measure the output voltages of the power supply section of the board to make sure they look okay.
CharlesMoyes

Re: KV32S15 won't turn on

Post by CharlesMoyes »

Hm, I see a lot of Internet replies suggesting to check R601 (fusible resistor) which would be implicated in Q601 and Q602 failing as well as possibly Q591 and R612.

The service manual has a guide to removing the anode, and also a sequence for removing the other boards attached to the D board.