Has anyone tried out the MX4SIO SD with OPL on a PS2?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Skykid

Has anyone tried out the MX4SIO SD with OPL on a PS2?

Post by Skykid »

Just wondering what kind of compatibility issues you may have encountered? I found a compatibility list here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2095482473

On there Espgaluda 2 and DDP DOJ are listed as working perfectly, but even with all settings switched off (no GSM and set at standard NTSC resolution with no upscaling) neither work. Galuda 2 boots to a blank white screen and DOJ plays perfectly until the Stage 1 boss at which point it suddenly starts to stutter, the music starts skipping and it becomes slow and unplayable. No settings adjustments seem to rectify this.

I'm not sure if the ISO images are the issue or something else. With MX4SIO there seem to be no options to adjust OPL's compatibility modes (which are there with HDD usage).
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

RocketBelt

Re: Has anyone tried out the MX4SIO SD with OPL on a PS2?

Post by RocketBelt »

I tried it out but had less luck than you, only getting one game to load once, but it crashed after the title screen. What I ended up with was corrupted SD cards, I suspect the ones I tried were not compatible. I only had sandisk and pny branded cards to hand. The software side of things seems to be very early days, perhaps it will improve.
For now I wouldn't recommend it.
I've had very few issues with loading from a network share, apart from the initial hassle of getting it all set up.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

RocketBelt wrote:I tried it out but had less luck than you, only getting one game to load once, but it crashed after the title screen. What I ended up with was corrupted SD cards, I suspect the ones I tried were not compatible. I only had sandisk and pny branded cards to hand. The software side of things seems to be very early days, perhaps it will improve.
For now I wouldn't recommend it.
I've had very few issues with loading from a network share, apart from the initial hassle of getting it all set up.
Ok so I had some success here. I read a translated Chinese document that (I think) inferred transferring multiple ISOs simultaneously is a no-no. It also seemed to suggest moving (rather than copying), then copying back to the source. I tried this and suddenly my DOJ ISO, Mushihimesama and Psikyo Shooting Collection all started working without a hitch.

I'm still having some trouble with some others though.

ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Trying one game, getting it to the title screen and crashing was as far as I got too. But I didn't try really hard. I have a PS2 with HDD support.

Another interesting new-ish PS2 development is support for compressed ISOs in betas of OPL. Should help with USB speeds for data that compresses well. Also fragmented ISOs are supported too, so no more defragging.

Obviously network is preferable, but a USB stick looks cleaner than a separate device and two cables going between it and the PS2.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ZellSF wrote:Trying one game, getting it to the title screen and crashing was as far as I got too. But I didn't try really hard. I have a PS2 with HDD support.
Well I had DOJ failing constantly at the first boss (see above) but using the exact same ISO and using a moving rather than copying method it eventually works fine. Weird.

I don't have experience with the HDD method.

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Any more opinions on this in 2024? How's the compatibility these days and does SD card really improve loading against USB? It's still slower than SMB, right?