NeoCD broken door and screeching sound (SD Loader + Memmod )

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

NeoCD broken door and screeching sound (SD Loader + Memmod )

Post by Rock Man »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

So, one day when I was messing with this thing the side of the door got jammed! It won't close, it's stuck half opened as demonstrated in the picture.

Did something come loose and I'll need a new door or is there anyway possible to slide it back in? If I could slide it back in myself I'd like to. The thing is this NeoCD is modded with the SD Loader which has it's own problems, the sound goes crankily after 45 minutes. Extremely annoying! I'm trying to figure out if the door issue is something I can fix myself or not? If it's a simple matter of buying a Neo CD top shell from spare parts I'm game. As for the fucked up sound I thought about taking it to a technician after I deal with the door issue. My worry is, based off the photos I've posted, does the mod look like it's soldered/attached to the bottom of the shell in anyway? If that's the case then I'll need to source another shell and have the tech person fix the door and the crackling.

Finally, has anyone else run into issues regarding bad sound on the SD Loader? I've tried everything, I tried the firmware wiper and rolling it back to 8.0 then 9 again. I tried different roms, I even had a tech person look at it prior. They said it worked when I got it home it's the same damned issue! None of this worked. I'm guessing it's something involving soldering on the CDDA cable but what's you guys best guess?

I don't solder so if it's an issue here something needs to be de-soldered/re-soldered I'll need to hire a tech.
ldeveraux

Re: NeoCD broken door and screeching sound (SD Loader + Memm

Post by ldeveraux »

The only reason the door wouldn't close is if the gear mechanism is broken or obstructed. Mine works perfectly fine, are you sure nothing has gotten stuck inside?
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

ldeveraux wrote:The only reason the door wouldn't close is if the gear mechanism is broken or obstructed. Mine works perfectly fine, are you sure nothing has gotten stuck inside?
I don't recall anything falling in there. I'm contemplating opening the damn thing to see what the hell happened. Thing is I don't know if that might break the mod.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Rock Man wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:The only reason the door wouldn't close is if the gear mechanism is broken or obstructed. Mine works perfectly fine, are you sure nothing has gotten stuck inside?
I don't recall anything falling in there. I'm contemplating opening the damn thing to see what the hell happened. Thing is I don't know if that might break the mod.
Opening it won't break the mod. I have the JP model that someone before me modded, and i remove the cover all the time. Even contemplated replacing the laser at one point before i was able to fix it.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

ldeveraux wrote:
Rock Man wrote:
Opening it won't break the mod. I have the JP model that someone before me modded, and i remove the cover all the time. Even contemplated replacing the laser at one point before i was able to fix it.
So, I opened my extra non-modded NeoCD just slightly to take a peak under the hood. Looks like there is a circuit board and a ribbon cable attached. I'm guessing the pros say unscrew the whole thing using the smaller torx then detach, but in theory, I should be able to simply disconnect the ribbon cable from the top circuit board on the shell and attach it to another circuit board where the shell goes.

I'm gonna consider the door issue settled then. That just leaves the other problem. Crackiling audio from my NeoCD games. Can someone point me to a wire or something on the board that maybe the cause of all of this? At this point, I don't care if I can't fix or solder it right now. I wish to learn the root cause so at least if I take it to a tech person I can point them to which cable(s) to reseat, solder or whatever.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Rock Man wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Rock Man wrote: I don't recall anything falling in there. I'm contemplating opening the damn thing to see what the hell happened. Thing is I don't know if that might break the mod.
So, I opened my extra non-modded NeoCD just slightly to take a peak under the hood. Looks like there is a circuit board and a ribbon cable attached. I'm guessing the pros say unscrew the whole thing using the smaller torx then detach, but in theory, I should be able to simply disconnect the ribbon cable from the top circuit board on the shell and attach it to another circuit board where the shell goes.

I'm gonna consider the door issue settled then. That just leaves the other problem. Crackiling audio from my NeoCD games. Can someone point me to a wire or something on the board that maybe the cause of all of this? At this point, I don't care if I can't fix or solder it right now. I wish to learn the root cause so at least if I take it to a tech person I can point them to which cable(s) to reseat, solder or whatever.
How is the door issue settled? You haven't done anything.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

^Upon opening it I figured out how to swap the top. That's what I meant by the door issue has been resolved. Sorry if I wasn't clearer. I have a regular NeoCD top that I can use.

I tried to salvage the existing door just now on the modded one and I wound up popping the spring off. Best I stick with the original plan to avoid making things worse! Swap the hood and focus on the horrendous sound crackling.

Any ideas on how to deal with the sound?