Second Attempt: Magnavox MWC13D6, modding for RGB input.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PacManPlus

Second Attempt: Magnavox MWC13D6, modding for RGB input.

Post by PacManPlus »

Hello all... I'm trying again. :(

I had this posted in the TV RGB mod thread, but I saw that there was a conversation going on with someone's tv already, and I didn't want to hijack it... So I removed it and put it here.

I have a Magnavox MWC13D6 that I plan on using in a rebuilt Pac-Man Cabaret (right now I have a LCD panel in it, but that's not very authentic). The original cabaret cabinets used 13" monitors, so I'm hoping I can get this to work.
This TV has a M61271M8-073fp IC (instead of a 058fp as seen in other threads, which couldn't find the data sheet). I've been looking on-line for this datasheet, and can't seem to find one either.

From what I can tell, it doesn't have a separate jungle chip and processor - it's all in one.

I found a service manual for this tv (Magnavox MWC13D6), and it shows the pinout of all the chips on the board. I wanted to attach it here for anyone else who has this chip in their TV, but I have no 'attach' option. :(
Instead, here's the link: https://elektrotanya.com/magnavox_cmwc1 ... nload.html

Looking through this manual, trying to see if this is possible to hijack the RGB and use composite for sync.
If anyone has any ideas, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you,
Bob

Thank you in advance.

I've seen so many videos and posts of people finding data sheets, getting lucky guessing pins, etc. I keep getting the TVs (my third like this) with ICs that can't be found or TVs with digital RGB lines instead of analog ones. :evil:
matt

Re: Second Attempt: Magnavox MWC13D6, modding for RGB input.

Post by matt »

Not going to work. No RGB or YPbPr inputs on that chip.
PacManPlus

Post by PacManPlus »

Damn... I'm zero for four now. :(

Thank you, Matt.
studeow

Post by studeow »

Hi Pacman, just saw this as I own the same TV. While it's true you can't RGB mod it, you can (and I did) successfully S-Video mod it by tapping into the DVD-Luma and DVD-Chroma pins on the jungle chip (the DVD unit provides S-video). To be honest, RBG and component on a 13 inch gives basically no advantage over S-video, and usually only has minimal advantage of any given size screen. I have RGB modded tvs before and without a side-by-side comparison, believe this. The picture quality on this little tube rivals my Commodore 1702 with S-video, which is considered best-in-class. Check the schematic on the manual for yourself. I didn't even use 75 Ohm res and 220uf caps, just tapped straight in and it was amazing, as the S-video source usually provides these. I put a switch between the labeled jumpers for DVD L and DVD C so I still have normal DVD functionality. I hope this helps if you still have your tv.
Last edited by studeow on Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salolinkpdig8

Post by salolinkpdig8 »

Wonder if i can trick another set, which has this same IC, into displaying s video, but it doesn't have a dvd player so I can't tell the tv to display the dvd.
crts sure are fun.
PacManPlus

Post by PacManPlus »

I just saw the prior two replies.

Thank you so much for the information, although for the 13" I got a working arcade chassis off of eBay and it seems to be working fine (I'm using these screens for arcade cabinet projects).