Replace my 4:3 LCD with an Arcooda LCD?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Replace my 4:3 LCD with an Arcooda LCD?

Post by shmupsrocks »

I've been using a Dell 2007FP LCD with a HAS supergun and OSSC in my JAMMA setup and I'm very happy with it but I saw this and I'm wondering if I should switch:

https://www.arcooda.com/accessories/arc ... e-monitor/

Should the Arcooda have a better image or lower input lag than the Dell?

I remember I was having a problem with an internal upper limit in the Dell that was preventing me from setting the samplerate of the OSSC to an optimal level without the screen scrambling and I wonder if I would have the same problem with the Arcooda.

I would have to find a new way to mount it since I use a VESA mount with the Dell.
NewSchoolBoxer

Re: Replace my 4:3 LCD with an Arcooda LCD?

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Marking my spot for comment about the Arcooda LCD. You know you wouldn't need an OSSC with that right? Accepts 15kHz RGB over VGA and VGA is simply a pin rearrangement of DVI-A and RGBS over SCART and BNC. I presume would accept both RGBS and RGBHV sync and sync on green as well.

Judging from listed specs, both the Dell and Arcooda have the same 300 cd/m^2 luminance, contrast ratio, viewing angle and 0.255 pixel pitch. I think they'll look the exact same except Arcooda would preserve 240p/288p scanlines without passing the video feed through a scaler first.

Input lag difference, would be nice of you to state what it is on the Dell first. Arcooda selling itself as an arcade monitor would imply it to be good. That said, if lag is 1 frame or less on the Dell, I don't think "better" is humanly perceptible. Note that lag can vary based on the resolution you're feeding it.

You should also try 15khz RGB on the Dell even though the manual doesn't list it. My Dell P2214Hb shows 480p+ resolutions in the manual but accepts SNES RGB straight from the console over RGBS and RGBHV.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Wow I really need to try the Arcooda. Without the OSSC I would need a scanline generator. I'll try 15khz into the Dell too.

Any ideas for attaching the Arcooda to a mount?
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Sorry, I haven't gotten into mounts except for my computer monitor that came with the mount and screws. But I mean, it's not in their interest to make it hard. If you can contact them, I'd ask for suggestions.
Scanline generator, I feel you. I remembered they existed from two SNES games looking wrong on modern displays, else I was pleased with NES + SNES Mini HDMI consoles.
Arcooda price is reasonable and I assume new versus coming with 10k hours.

Alternative I've been happy with is Panasonic 16:9 plasma that 4:3 letter boxes out to > 20". That and Sony plasmas accept all analog input, including 15k RGB. I've run SNES and PS2 RGBS, RGBHV and PS2 480p SOG. Panasonic accepts it over VGA or BNC the dream. Scanlines still get wiped out but televisions are bargain bin / Goodwill / Facebook Marketplace now. Not sure about input lag, I don't play games that want 1 frame max.