Wii component vs Wii U component

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: Wii component vs Wii U component

Post by bobrocks95 »

Maybe people who play off of USB exclusively autoboot to it? I've never heard of anyone doing that but that's just me.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

fernan1234 wrote:GX does support per-game settings which override the global settings.
Are you sure it does it for discs though? Not that I would ever play anything from a disc...
bobrocks95 wrote:Maybe people who play off of USB exclusively autoboot to it? I've never heard of anyone doing that but that's just me.
I mean most people who mod their Wiis probably do play off USB almost exclusively. The advantages in noise, temperature and loading times are nice if you can wait for the install.

But I don't see why anyone who only plays discs / channels wouldn't. All the patching possibilities are pretty nice.

I mean talking about switching deflicker fix off for compatibility reasons, without USB Loader GX you would have a relatively long trip through Wii settings each time you want to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 for games that pillarbox the former (unless you were fine with that image quality loss too in the name of convenience).
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

ZellSF wrote:Are you sure it does it for discs though? Not that I would ever play anything from a disc...
I don't think so, probably applies the global settings to discs, or maybe none? Not sure, now I'm curious.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I decided to test, while being quickly reminded how much I hate disc drive noise...

It remember settings per discs, and applies the global settings if there are no settings stored for a disc.

A bit annoying, but when booting Gamecube discs it asks where to store (SD/USB) Nintendont settings every single time.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

ZellSF wrote:Most people who softmod their Wii set it to autolaunch USB Loader GX, I think. There's rarely any reason to use the Wii System Menu.

You can set both 480p fix and deflicker as global options, I'm not sure if it remembers discs or not (for setting exceptions). There's a "Safe" and "Extended" option for deflicker, so I guess there are some compatibility caveats, but I would be surprised if there are many titles for which those apply.
So testing booting all the Wii games I have and only two wouldn't boot*:

Excite Truck didn't like the 480p fix.
Kirby's Adventure Wii didn't like the deflicker fix.

* Since these are video patches I would expect compatibility problems to show up at boot.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

The main difference between "Safe" and "Extended", it's that "Safe" just tries to patch out and disable the deflicker filter.

Meanwhile the "Extended" option disables most of the copy filter, but that can break visual effects on some games, but you may need "Extended" for a few games.

As for the Wii Kirby game, is not that patches doesn't work in the game, but the game has MetaFortress Anti Piracy, which works in when you patch the code of the game.
You'll need to patch the MetaFortress via a code as well for that game.

But if you only want to do so for the deflicker filter, note that that game already doesn't use the deflicker filter in 480p, at least on the Japanese and American versions.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Rulumi wrote: As for the Wii Kirby game, is not that patches doesn't work in the game, but the game has MetaFortress Anti Piracy, which works in when you patch the code of the game.
You'll need to patch the MetaFortress via a code as well for that game.
I actually assumed that any patching failing would be due to anti piracy (or anti cheating systems) so I was surprised to see both games that failed with one patch, be OK with the other.

Thanks for the explanation of Safe vs Extended.