N64digital install - no output

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
COO-589

N64digital install - no output

Post by COO-589 »

G'day,

I've just installed a N64digital kit but can't get any video or audio from either the HDMI or analogue outputs. My TV actually recognises the HDMI input as "N64digital" but shows no signal until I bring up the OSD with the push-button on the N64digital board. I've also tried a computer monitor, which cycles on and off as if it recognises that there's an input but then sees no valid signal.

I've checked for shorts and also open circuits from the pins on the RCP to the pins on the N64digital board to confirm continuity through all points between, and all are good.

I can get the OSD by pressing the button on the N64digital board and was able to update the firmware by the Rescue Service but that's as far as I can get...

I've tried both with and without the "clock mod" (jumper closed and MX8330 pin1 lifted), but results are exactly the same either way (including the exact same results on the debug/self-test screen).

If I disconnect the ribbon cables on the N64digital board (and don't have the "clock mod" applied), the console is still functional through it's original analogue output...

Also, it doesn't appear that the controller inputs are functional on the N64digital OSD via the onboard push-button, as I can't exit a screen or activate a retest on the debug/self-test screen. I'm not sure if any other controller hot-keys (https://docs.pixelfx.co/N64Digital-Details.html) should work in this menu either, but none do if they should.

All results are consistent with expansion pack in or out, original game cartridge in or out and EverDrive-64 X7 in or out.

I've reflowed all solder joins, retested for shorts and open circuits, and retested with exactly the same outcome. I'm confident with my install so am starting to think there may even be an issue with the N64digital itself (these things can and do happen) - possibly clock-related?? Also; just before this N64digital install, I successfully installed an UltraPIF and UltraHDMI HW2 in another N64.

This console is a NUS-001 (USA) with a NUS-CPU-04, which shows the CON connection to be to PIF pin16 rather than a via. Photos of my install and the debug/self-test screen are here: https://ibb.co/album/svdSSt

I've searched online and have referred to the N64digital debug page (https://docs.pixelfx.co/N64Digital-Debug-Self_Test.html), but I can't find any answers specific to my case. I've seen others with similar issues that have had to reverse the "clock mod" (which I've tried), some that have had TVs unhappy with the default video format so have had to find a TV or monitor that was happy to then change the format and try again (I can't find a TV or monitor that's happy with either the HDMI or analogue output, even though it works in analogue with the N64digital disconnected, and also that my other console with UltraPIF and UltraHDMI HW2 works on all of my displays in either HDMI or analogue), and other people have had to reflash firmware with the Rescue Service. I've tried all of these methods multiple times now...

I'd love to swap N64digital boards with a known-working console to see if the fault follows the N64digital board or stays with the console, but I don't know of anyone locally that has an N64digital install...

My debug/self-test screen shows that there are issues across almost all results, but I don't know the hardware well enough to tell if there's one major fault somewhere that would cause all of these issues. A clock issue comes to mind due to the fact that the "Clock Source" result does not change regardless of whether or not the "clock mod" is applied or not, and I can imagine that a clock error may produce errors across all of the tests or also even prevent controller inputs from functioning in the N64digital OSD...

Please help!!

Thanks heaps and kind regards.
COO-589

Re: N64digital install - no output

Post by COO-589 »

I've had another go with this - this time completely removing and reinstalling the kit but am getting the exact same results...

I got in touch with RetroSales (PixelFX's recommended Australian installer on the QLD Gold Coast), but they don't want to touch it as it wasn't their install, and suggested trying a new main flex cable. I've tested my current main flex cable and it tests good, however; I've ordered a new main flex cable from PixelFX anyway. I've spent too much on this kit to give up on it...

I'm now also in touch with Dan at PixelFX to troubleshoot the N64Digital / debug screen, as there is no info available online about how the "Clock Source: XTAL" fits in at the moment...

One detail that I forgot to mention previously as well is: The blue LED on the N64Digital board comes on solid when powering on the console, then soon goes brighter whilst still solid and remains in this state. Can't be exactly certain what this indicates due to the lack of info on this too so figured I'd better share it anyway...

I am still expecting this to come down to a faulty N64Digital board. I did buy the kit from a seller on eBay in Western Australia, but am suspicious that they've resold the kit with new flex cables to disguise it as brand new once it didn't work for them after buying it from overseas...

If there is anyone with a working N64Digital install in Brisbane or on the Sunshine Coast, please message me!

Thanks again and kind regards
Last edited by COO-589 on Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
splits

Post by splits »

Are you confident the N64 is working? Did it work correctly when you had the kit uninstalled? Does it work if you disconnect the flex cable from the hdmi board?

Are you testing with at least the jumper pak plugged in?

I have done a couple UltraHDMI installs and I once forgot to plug in the jumper pak when testing--and naturally, my first thought was that I broke something. It took me a few moments to realize my mistake.
splits

Post by splits »

COO-589 wrote:even though it works in analogue with the N64digital disconnected
Sorry, missed that.
COO-589

Re: N64Digital install - no output (digital/analogue)

Post by COO-589 »

All good mate! Yeah, it works through it's own analogue output without the N64Digital main flex cable connected to the N64Digital board (and clock mod not applied).

I don't have a jumper pack but have tried with my expansion pack, both with and without the top case on to ensure correct seating (same with game cartridges or my ED-64 X7).
VajSkids Consoles

Post by VajSkids Consoles »

I've got another install coming up... customer spent a whopping 411AUD and I showed him the no cut laser bear mod so he got that too :P

I'm in Melbourne.

eBay 100% positive feedback.. should be more but they started pulling some listings so I only had inboxed feedback ..all positive.
vajskids consoles eBay
twitter @vajskid

happy to take a look.
VajSkids Consoles

that's my install service on eBay as well.
VajSkids Consoles

this other guy is waiting for his shipment as i tipped him off the other night and he scored one at 3am so I'll have a board to rule yours out, if you want to wait for that.
Wadeimous

Post by Wadeimous »

I seem to be having all of these identical issues. I have a NUS-001 but has a CPU-05. Was there a solution found for this?
COO-589

Post by COO-589 »

I ended up buying a brand new flex cable and reinstalling the N64Digital, still with the exact same issue.

I then tried a new console (a very clean JAP console), initially without the clock mod, then with the clock mod, and still the same results.

I've updated the firmware which hasn't helped, and I've now also broken one side of the flex connector on the N64Digital board.

I've also spotted this page on Reddit; Botched N64Digital Install - Please Help!, so I'm assuming my N64Digital is DoA.
COO-589

Post by COO-589 »

Wadeimous wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:15 am I seem to be having all of these identical issues. I have a NUS-001 but has a CPU-05. Was there a solution found for this?
Seems to be a common enough issue, but no known solution as far as I can tell. I might get back in touch with Dan... I assume it's far too late for me to get a refund...

I've also seen plenty of people having issues with the N64Digital's clock mod when I was looking around, and they've since scrapped the N64Digital for their Retro GEM.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

If you've covered your bases and tested as much as you can, Dan is good about refunds/replacements. I'd just summarize everything you've tried so far and shoot him an email or Discord DM.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.