Super Famicom 1-Chip?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KimagureMachibuse

Super Famicom 1-Chip?

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

Need help identifying if the Super Famicom i have is a 1-chip as i really do not have a way of opening it

The number on the bottom says S 24602801

I recall the video quality and composite of this current system being quite bright and looking quite goof in comparison of the last one i had which the video quality was far more dimmer in comparison however thst may have been the capacitors weakining not sure

thchardcore

Re: Super Famicom 1-Chip?

Post by thchardcore »

Looks like a normie to me. See here for more info:

https://www.retrorgb.com/1chipsnes.html ... 9%E2%80%9D.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

The whole 1-Chip thing is a bit confusing.
I have a Super Famicom with 1-Chip-02.
Some say that the 02 is the best but others say that 03 is superior.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

If you don't want to open it, play Super Turrican for an hour. Music should glitch out at some point. If it doesn't, keep playing Super Turrican. It's a good game.

Pretty sure it used to be a cheap game, isn't any longer though, but if you got a flash cart (which IMO is essential for translations anyway)...
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
KimagureMachibuse

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Google is your friend -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... 44/pubhtml
The one i have is not listed there under the super famicom serial numbers
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

KimagureMachibuse wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:Google is your friend -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... 44/pubhtml
The one i have is not listed there under the super famicom serial numbers
It's an easy to read table. Of course the one you have isn't listed on it, but clearly the lowest serial number for a SFC 1-chip is S24618767, so yours is most likely an APU-01
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

S24602776 SNS-CPU-APU-01
S24618018 SNS-CPU-APU-01

Its done in ranges. So its the one I've listed above.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

My Super Famicom 1-Chip 02 is SM12021879. I meant to try The Lion King and other games' debug menu test but my SD2SNES Rev. H doesn't work on it despite being region-free. Serial numbers alone aren't proof since sellers can swap a 1-Chip shell from dead console for a working 2-Chip and sell it for considerably more. Get the $10 tool kit to open the console that should also come with tool to open carts.

I think the emphasis on 1-Chip is way, way overblown. If you have a 600 TVL professional video monitor being fed RGB from a 1-Chip modded to not be so bright then sure video can look a little sharper. With that you have some video and audio glitches that don't exist in 2-Chip world. One day I played the 1-Chip, next day I played the SNES 2-Chip and I couldn't tell the difference. The people most promoting 1-Chip have business interests in RGB cables and mods. 1-Chip 03 needs a mod for csync last I heard.

If you're living the perfectly fine S-Video life with $15 cable then console revision doesn't matter. Thanks for reading my rant.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:My Super Famicom 1-Chip 02 is SM12021879. I meant to try The Lion King and other games' debug menu test but my SD2SNES Rev. H doesn't work on it despite being region-free. Serial numbers alone aren't proof since sellers can swap a 1-Chip shell from dead console for a working 2-Chip and sell it for considerably more. Get the $10 tool kit to open the console that should also come with tool to open carts.

I think the emphasis on 1-Chip is way, way overblown. If you have a 600 TVL professional video monitor being fed RGB from a 1-Chip modded to not be so bright then sure video can look a little sharper. With that you have some video and audio glitches that don't exist in 2-Chip world. One day I played the 1-Chip, next day I played the SNES 2-Chip and I couldn't tell the difference. The people most promoting 1-Chip have business interests in RGB cables and mods. 1-Chip 03 needs a mod for csync last I heard.

If you're living the perfectly fine S-Video life with $15 cable then console revision doesn't matter. Thanks for reading my rant.
I'd agree that for CRT usage it's pretty unnecessary, I was never really left wanting for a 1-chip. But for upscaling on a flat panel, it made a huge difference. Hopefully a future HDMI mod will make tracking a 1-chip down unnecessary (though just get a SNES Jr. if you don't want to pick through ebay).
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.