Looking to migrate from scart to BNC. Have some questions.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Paranoid_Andy

Looking to migrate from scart to BNC. Have some questions.

Post by Paranoid_Andy »

Just wanting to switch from a scart setup to BNC.

I was thinking of getting console cables made with BNC ends that run to an Extron Crosspoint. Then running the output to my OSSC.

That's where I'm not sure though. How do I get the BNC output from the Extron into the OSSC? I would VERY much prefer VGA.

I was wondering, can you just get a simple cable that does BNC to VGA or does it need a dedicated converter?

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Thank you!
Dochartaigh

Re: Looking to migrate from scart to BNC. Have some question

Post by Dochartaigh »

No converter needed - tons of BNC to VGA cables out there for cheap. You can get the 4x BNC ones, or the (probably more common) 5x BNC ones then just don't use the vertical sync BNC (since RGBS needs 4 BNC's, not 5).
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

If I remember correctly, you'll want to be aware that the VGA port won't do low pass filtering.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

That is correct, no LPF on VGA input and it is very noticeable without it.

I would honestly keep scart format with a switch. You can use scart2vga or vga2scart boxes based on Mike Chi's design to convert between each format easily.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

You can send R, G and B into AV2 to get low-pass filtering and then just send sync into AV3. Will just need two VGA to BNC (or RCA) cables. One will hang off AV3 and you’ll just connect csync to the Hsync line of the VGA to BNC cable. Or H and V if source is RGBHV.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Oh that’s an interesting approach! LPF is applied to the color channels and not sync, is that correct?
Paranoid_Andy

Post by Paranoid_Andy »

Dochartaigh wrote:No converter needed - tons of BNC to VGA cables out there for cheap. You can get the 4x BNC ones, or the (probably more common) 5x BNC ones then just don't use the vertical sync BNC (since RGBS needs 4 BNC's, not 5).
Easier than I expected! Thanks Dochartaigh!
SavagePencil wrote:If I remember correctly, you'll want to be aware that the VGA port won't do low pass filtering.
I was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads up Pencil.
kitty666cats wrote:You can send R, G and B into AV2 to get low-pass filtering and then just send sync into AV3. Will just need two VGA to BNC (or RCA) cables. One will hang off AV3 and you’ll just connect csync to the Hsync line of the VGA to BNC cable. Or H and V if source is RGBHV.
A very interesting idea Cats. Have you actually tried this or it's more of an idea?

Thanks everybody!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Paranoid_Andy wrote:
A very interesting idea Cats. Have you actually tried this or it's more of an idea?

Thanks everybody!
I have mine setup that way. Works fantastic
Paranoid_Andy

Post by Paranoid_Andy »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Paranoid_Andy wrote:

Thanks everybody!
I have mine setup that way. Works fantastic
Excellent. Glad to know it. Thanks Max :D
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I've got some follow up questions about the color -> AV2 and sync -> AV3 and how I might set this up using an Extron matrix. I'd love to have only a single set of cables running to the OSSC, and just use the necessary inputs based on which console signal is being provided.

1. If I have two BNCs going to the DB15 connector for sync, but I'm only using one of those for CV, will the un-used sync line introduce noise?
2. Does there need to be any voltage attenuation taken into account? How to solve this?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

SavagePencil wrote:I've got some follow up questions about the color -> AV2 and sync -> AV3 and how I might set this up using an Extron matrix. I'd love to have only a single set of cables running to the OSSC, and just use the necessary inputs based on which console signal is being provided.

1. If I have two BNCs going to the DB15 connector for sync, but I'm only using one of those for CV, will the un-used sync line introduce noise?
2. Does there need to be any voltage attenuation taken into account? How to solve this?
1) what is CV? if you mean C-sync that's fine, the extra V-sync line won't affect anything
2) no, the extron will output TTL sync and the OSSC will happily accept it on AV3
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

yes duh I meant csync, not composite video.

Thank you, this is awesome!
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

I've got a question about the AV2/AV3 option too. Using an extron mvx setup.

Could I use 2 of the outputs with the same signal instead of splitting the sync from a single output? Like from output 1 of the mvx into AV2 gets just RGB, then from output 2 of the mvx into AV3 for the sync?

There's cleaner ways I'm sure, but I've got plenty of VGA cables on hand.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

RottenToTheGore wrote:I've got a question about the AV2/AV3 option too. Using an extron mvx setup.

Could I use 2 of the outputs with the same signal instead of splitting the sync from a single output? Like from output 1 of the mvx into AV2 gets just RGB, then from output 2 of the mvx into AV3 for the sync?

There's cleaner ways I'm sure, but I've got plenty of VGA cables on hand.
you can, in fact that's exactly what I do