Disney Memorex DT1350-C White Lines on top of screen

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KPackratt2k

Disney Memorex DT1350-C White Lines on top of screen

Post by KPackratt2k »

Hi, I've noticed something strange about my Disney DT1350-C (Memorex manufactured) Mickey Mouse 13" CRT TV. There are some transparent white lines on the upper 1/4 of the screen.

I've had this TV since 2005, I remember this started happening around mid-2008, I don't know how or why this happened, but I replaced the TV on the following year with a Dynex 22" LCD TV because I feared that this was a sign that it was on its way out. It still works to this day, but it still has this issue.

If anyone on here knows what could potentially be causing this and has suggestions for fixing it, I'd appreciate it. I plan on RGB modding this TV at some point, and I'd like to try to fix this problem while I'm at it, assuming it's a simple fix like replacing a capacitor or something.
Syntax

Re: Disney Memorex DT1350-C White Lines on top of screen

Post by Syntax »

Retrace lines.
Should be off screen but they've made their way down.
Recap that old boy.
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

Thanks for the suggestion, I've ordered replacement capacitors on DigiKey and made sure to get only high quality caps (mostly Rubycon with one Nichicon).

Today, when I was testing the TV again, when I turned it off it didn't do the white flash that a CRT normally does when you turn it off, instead it just cut to black. When I attempted to power cycle, I heard a loud pop. I opened it up and spotted a broken IC, it turned out to be the IC that controlled the CRT (a Sanyo LA78040N). I have ordered a set of replacements on eBay from a seller who had some NOS, so I'll be sure to replace that when I recap the CRT section. Fingers crossed I can bring this set back to life soon.
matt

Post by matt »

That's typical. The white lines are caused by a bad vertical boost cap (c414). This in turn stresses the vertical deflection IC and causes it to blow. Your first step should be to replace the IC and its associated caps and see if it works - recapping the whole TV isn't a good idea until you've isolated the problem.
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

Dammit. I replaced the vertical IC (the LA78040N) and recapped the CRT section of the board, and it no longer turns on. I can still hear the chirp when I plug it in and unplug it, but when I press the power button (either on the set or on its remote), nothing happens.

It's dead, Jim.

Looks like I'll have to post a thread on the Trading forum asking if anyone has a spare chassis from one of these TVs because I can't find any replacement chassis' on eBay, only complete TVs and I'm not about to throw away $$$ on another CRT TV that's likely to break during shipping when all I need is the chassis for it.