Nintendo Switch OLED accessory for vertical shmups

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Nintendo Switch OLED accessory for vertical shmups

Post by shmupsrocks »

How best to play vertical shmups on the OLED Switch? The Mushihimesama arcade stand/cover/whatever looks fun. Does it fit the OLED Switch?
subcons

Re: Nintendo Switch OLED accessory for vertical shmups

Post by subcons »

Not sure about that stand, but I have this for my OLED and highly recommend it:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1124751598 ... essory-for

I always use it with a Joy-Con I nodded with a Saturn dpad that works a treat. Here’s the guide I used in case you’re interested:

https://medium.com/@NanoGameReviews/seg ... 0d2425da90

I researched a lot on options as far as a wireless solution with a good dpad go and this is by far the best I’ve tried personally. It pretty much stays on my Switch permanently.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

That Etsy device looks awesome. Is there a way to use it and connect the controllers with a wire so I don't have to use them wirelessly?

Is there a best wired controller option for vertical shmups?
subcons

Post by subcons »

shmupsrocks wrote:That Etsy device looks awesome. Is there a way to use it and connect the controllers with a wire so I don't have to use them wirelessly?

Is there a best wired controller option for vertical shmups?
Not that I know of on both accounts. The best, affordable non-wireless option is the D-Pad Controller from Hori. They’re like $20 and are perfect for any horizontal shmups. Anything vertical, you need a wireless Joy-Con. There are some third party options out there, but all the promising ones I tried just don’t solve the issue of hitting accurate diagonals. That’s why the Saturn mod works so well because it’s on a pivot. Diagonals are super accurate.

I have seen pics of people using stands for the screen and just plugging up an arcade stick. I never really have a use case for that though. I’m either docked or straight up handheld whenever I’m playing my Switch.