Color noise and ghosting in composite input WEGA Trinitron?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
modulusshift

Color noise and ghosting in composite input WEGA Trinitron?

Post by modulusshift »

I recently got a Sony KV-27FV300, and I've been using my PS2 with component cables, and it's been a nice clear picture. My game discs and the optical drive in the PS2 aren't in the best shape, so I've been working on installing an xStation in my PS1 and finally succeeded a couple days ago, only to hook it up to the TV via composite and seeing tons of this color noise added to the image, and significant ghosting (spatial, not temporal, like a negative echo of the image shifted an inch to the left). Tried it with the PS2 and the composite cable, same issue.

I can't figure out how to resize embedded images here, so I'm just going to put this Imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/qtty2jz/

The noise gets dimmer when there's an image on screen, but it's also noticeable even on a white screen as darker flecks all over the image, and the ghosting is an issue no matter what. You start off, when you first turn the TV on, with a nice black image with the OSD label "Video 2", then as soon as it recognizes a composite signal the noise starts, and remains even after the signal is turned off, and even after the cable is removed, until you switch past Video 3 (rear composite/S-Video) to Video 4, which is the component input, and that takes it away again. And while I don't have an S-video cable handy, I used some jumper wires to carry an S-Video signal from my PS1 and saw no improvement over composite in the noise or ghosting.

I've been considering popping open this TV to install an RGB mod following the BA-5D chassis guide elsewhere in this forum, and would like to fix this while I'm in there, especially since it seems like the RGB mod syncs using composite, which might trigger this noise.

Has anyone seen this issue before, or have any idea which components on the inside I should be checking the functionality of? Possibly capacitor failures?