Some color issues with Twin Famicom

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
VEGETA

Some color issues with Twin Famicom

Post by VEGETA »

Hello,

I have got famicom cartridges from buyee, first time I got 3: rockman 3, mario, and DBZ. 2nd time I got 4 more. I did NESRGB and it worked fine.

However, today I have done a recapping for it, cap by cap and verified all to be correct.

Now, super mario has a simple glitch as you see in pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/saWxOrT

most times mario doesn't start after powering on the system, so that I need to press the reset button to start.

as you see mario, captain tsubasa, and doraemon has the glitch while the other game with green cartridge works perfectly fine. Similar to Rockman 3 and DBZ since I tested them off-camera. I tested the system without any cartridge and it shows the disc system animation fine.

The typical reason for this is that carts are the problem. However, I kinda remember super mario to be working fine! so why now it is like this?

I intent to get Famicom N8 Pro cart to play the system but I hope my system is fully working.

what do you think?
VEGETA

Re: Some color issues with Twin Famicom

Post by VEGETA »

in your tests, can the system be with an issue regarding graphics and still show some games correctly?

Notice if i wiggle tsubasa game around while pressing reset I get correct colors for a split second. but this doesn't happen with mario.
VEGETA

Re: Some color issues with Twin Famicom

Post by VEGETA »

I have finally found and solved the problem!

it was in the power supply itself! when I did the recapping I accidentally added some residual extra solder which shorted 2 points (didn't bother memorizing them)... when I remove it and clean it, it automatically worked perfectly fine.

Life lesson: even if you are a Super Saiyan, always check basic obvious stuff like big and easy through hole solder joints.

Kindly add "Solved" to title so people can reflect on this easier.