Good OG XBOX RGB SCART Cable?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KPackratt2k

Good OG XBOX RGB SCART Cable?

Post by KPackratt2k »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a high quality RGB SCART cable for the Original XBOX. Last year, I bought a generic XBOX RGB SCART cable from Amazon and it worked well up until recently when I attempted to plug it into a Sony KV-27V25 TV that I've modded for a friend. When using this cable on that TV, the picture is too dark, has rolling bars over it, and the audio has severe buzzing. Oddly enough, it still works with other RGB modded TVs that I have.

I opened up the SCART connector of the cable and found that it only had one ground wire and it was for the audio ground. There are no ground wires on the video grounding pins. I've also spotted 220 uF capacitors on the RGB pins which I didn't think was needed for the Original XBOX as the diagram on Tim Worthington's site didn't show capacitors in it.

I've looked at Retro Access and Insurrection Industries, neither of those sites carry XBOX RGB SCART cables.

Would my best bet be to track down an OEM SCART cable from a European seller or is there another known high quality cable manufacturer that carries an XBOX RGB SCART cable?

I'm aware that the XBOX will only do 480i/576i in RGB SCART, but this isn't a problem for me as I already have the original HD AV Component Video adapter which I use for my modern HDTVs for games that run in higher resolutions. The SCART cable will generally be used to run retro console emulators (e.g. NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis) on a 15 KHz CRT, as I currently don't have flash carts for any of my retro consoles. I guess I could use the HD AV Pack with a Retrotink COMP2RGB transcoder, but the issue with that is I don't want to deal with having to change the video resolution settings every time I connect my XBOX to a different TV, so I'd like to keep things simple by only using the HD AV Pack with my HDTVs and a SCART cable on my SD CRT TVs.

Thanks in advance.
Fatass

Re: Good OG XBOX RGB SCART Cable?

Post by Fatass »

if retro-access or insurrection don't have it, then your next best bet would be Retro Gaming Cable (rgc) in the UK. I recall them having a few types of scart cable for the og xbox (RGB with sync on composite, rgb csync and component thru scart) so make sure you select the one you're after. Hope that helps.
War on hemorrhoids.
KPackratt2k

Re: Good OG XBOX RGB SCART Cable?

Post by KPackratt2k »

Fatass wrote:if retro-access or insurrection don't have it, then your next best bet would be Retro Gaming Cable (rgc) in the UK. I recall them having a few types of scart cable for the og xbox (RGB with sync on composite, rgb csync and component thru scart) so make sure you select the one you're after. Hope that helps.
Thanks, I'll have to check them out soon. Hopefully their cable will work better on the TV mine wasn't working on.

Before anyone asks if there's something wrong with my mod, I've tested every other console with RGB SCART and they all worked perfectly fine. The XBOX is the only one that's having issues on it.