Has anyone tried the Bitfunx (or Prism) GC Y-Pb-Pr cable?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Issac Zachary

Has anyone tried the Bitfunx (or Prism) GC Y-Pb-Pr cable?

Post by Issac Zachary »

So, as a CRT guy (so am not needing or looking for and HDMI solution), I'm trying to decide betweenÑ
  1. . Trading my non-GC compatible Wii for an older one that is (from what I understand, older Wiis usually have poorer quality video)
  2. Keeping my Wii and getting a separate Gamecube with a Component or RGB solution.
The thing of it is I can find Gamecubes for not too much, but the cables are costly if I want component or RGB.

However, there's this cable on Alibaba. Would it be worth the risk? I can't seem to find any reviews on it. It does plug into the digital port like the OEM cable.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002953460576.html?
Last edited by Issac Zachary on Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BazookaBen

Re: Has anyone tried the Bitfunx Gamecube Y-Pb-Pr cable?

Post by BazookaBen »

No need to order from China, Retrobit made one: https://castlemaniagames.com/products/p ... nent-cable

Of course it might have been produced in China too, which would explain the delayed release
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

BazookaBen wrote:No need to order from China, Retrobit made one: https://castlemaniagames.com/products/p ... nent-cable

Of course it might have been produced in China too, which would explain the delayed release
Thanks! I don't know why I couldn't find this before with my Googling skills. Time to go get that Gamecube!
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

BazookaBen wrote:No need to order from China, Retrobit made one: https://castlemaniagames.com/products/p ... nent-cable

I honestly haven't been following these... but have they actually been released, tested, and had good reviews? (just see them up for preorder now).

Did a quick search on Discord and saw people were saying the Prism cables were using GCVideo-Lite for the ?firmware?, and how that's '8 years old, outdated', and 'riddled with bugs'.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

All good questions, I was just made aware of their existence a couple weeks ago. I didn't even stop to think if there could be software issues.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

I guess I'll find out. I just orderd one of the Prism ones and bought a Gamecube.
Issac Zachary

Re: Has anyone tried the Bitfunx (or Prism) GC Y-Pb-Pr cable

Post by Issac Zachary »

I got both the Game Cube and the component cable in today. I will test them out when I have a chance. I don't have any scientific way of comparing them though, but I can at least give my thoughts.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

So far it seems to work just fine! I hope to Y-Pb-Pr mod my CRT to try it on it! But so far it's probably the best looking image I've seen from a Game Cube! Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I am happy!
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Since then we've discovered the Retro-Bit Retro Prism Component Cable is exactly the same as the Bitfunx/Kaico GameCube Component Cable, as they're produced by the same company: Shenzhen Xinole Electronics Co., Ltd. (Bitfunx)
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

Extrems wrote:Since then we've discovered the Retro-Bit Retro Prism Component Cable is exactly the same as the Bitfunx/Kaico GameCube Component Cable, as they're produced by the same company: Shenzhen Xinole Electronics Co., Ltd. (Bitfunx)
Oh ok! Good to know! That would make sense I guess.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

This has been bothering me. Can you add explanatory text to what all your measurements mean? Can you at the top rank the cables for the casual masses who doesn't have an hour to analyze numbers and list about how much the cables sell for / if they are still made? No one would complain about referral links.

I don't think your info helps anyone as it exists. No cable review video cites the figures and that's extremely unfortunate considering the shill levels certain reviewers approach. Then maybe the SEO ranking will improve. I was trying to find your site in Google and found my post here linking to the main page instead.

I have EE degree so know very well what SNR/PSNR is but even hadn't heard of the other three measurements. Please don't assume everyone is as technical and methodical as you are. The audio measurements in particular I find incomprehensible but I see at the very bottom helpful text that I missed the first two times.

Also, MDFourier is amateur software. Great for being free and idiot-proof to click one button and get a dozen different measurements but it's no Adobe Audition or Cubase LE. I'm surprised you don't have audio samples for download but you'd want to normalize the volume in dB to be fair since louder music sounds better. Easy to do in Cubase. The THD+N would be more meaningful to measure than the Vmin, Vmax and Vrms. Measuring active video versus still images is another area of improvement but I concede scientific video quality analysis is complicated.

I donate a few dollars to your Patreon so I'm not trying to mean. I can do the writing for you for free. Frequency domain discussion becoming mainstream, the dream.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:I'm surprised you don't have audio samples for download but you'd want to normalize the volume in dB to be fair since louder music sounds better.
I do have the audio captures used for measurement in MDFourier available for download.

Audio isn't my specialty. Video wasn't all that well thought out and it's hard to go back on it.