PVM 20M2U salvage (Hula/flag problem)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
coredump

PVM 20M2U salvage (Hula/flag problem)

Post by coredump »

Hello. I got a dead PVM 20MU and am in the process of bringing it up to life (hopefully). I Re-caped the A board with caps from Savon-Pat, and that made I at least get image (before I used to get a red tally light). Now I am getting image but I have a slight hula/flag weaving problem as you can see on this 11 seconds video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vE4S1msUP8

I read somewhere that it may be related to some problem on the 115V output of the PSU, since I don't know what can have happened there I tried a re-cap for the capacitors around the voltage regulators, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I got those measurements on the CN605 (that connects the PSU/G Board to A board)

Code: Select all

15V  = 15.07V
115V = 119.6V / 121V (no load)
-15V = -26.9V / 26V (no load)
5V A = 4.822V
No load being measuring with CN605 disconnected.

A visual inspection doesn't show anything specifically burnt or exploded, so I am guessing that it must be something else. I am going to bring the monitor to a separate table where I can do measurements with the board out of the case so i don't short anything, but I would love to know if anyone has seem this problem and where's a good spot to start looking. It even may be not a G board probolem at all, or maybe I have to regulate something after the recap that I don't know. Anyway, those voltages are strange, at least. I don't have an oscilloscope that can get to 115V to check the waveforms there unfortunately.

Thanks for any help! The 20m2u service manual can be found here https://archive.org/details/SonyPVM20M2 ... viceManual
coredump

Re: PVM 20M2U salvage (Hula/flag problem)

Post by coredump »

Ok so I did some other measurements today and I noticed that the voltage difference goes all the way to the D601, the main rectifier. Pins 2-3 are the AC in and are correctly at 125V/Wall AC as one expected, but between 1 and 4 I get 131.8VDC, and if the notation on my manual is correct, it should be 110V

Out of curiosity I also measured pins 1 and 4 of T603 and I got the same measurement. Now what I want to know is if that voltage is wrong because the diode is bad, or is some of the components after the diode pin 4 that are supposed to regulate that voltage down and is not. I guess it's time to re-learn how rectifiers work.

Anyway, will post more if I find something.
coredump

Post by coredump »

Turns out the STR-S3115 that is responsible for the 115V output was busted. Pins 1 and 2 were shorted, so basically there was no voltage regulation happening there. I replaced it with one that I found on ebay and that solved all the flag/hula problems and now the PVM works perfectly.
LordKirkis

Post by LordKirkis »

Thats amazing. Really goad you managed to repair it. Do you have an update on how its currently running? Have you ran into any other issues with it?
coredump

Post by coredump »

LordKirkis wrote:Thats amazing. Really goad you managed to repair it. Do you have an update on how its currently running? Have you ran into any other issues with it?
I sold the PVM a few months ago, but AFAIK it's still alive and kicking perfectly on its new home