shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:14 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148
 Post subject: Re: XRGB-3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm 

tongshadow wrote:
I made a thread about 480i/240p issues with this machine, but didnt get many replies, so Im hoping that someone more familiar with the XRGB-3 could help me better in this thread.

The issue is basically the video signal being lost during said transitions and it takes time to resync and get a picture. Sometimes I dont even get a picture at all!
Any solution or way to remedy this?
It's pretty annoying on PS1 games that use 480i menus/fmv movies and switch to 240p for gameplay.

Also happens with 480i/480p PS2 games.

I'm using B1 Mode and the VGA output.

Yes, it's absolutely annoying; but, if your video output is ultimately ending up as HDMI into your display, you're not going to be able to get around the video drops without some sort of seamless switcher, presentation switcher, or other scaler that will output at a given resolution/framerate regardless of input, which has its own problems, like significant added lag, forced framerate conversion, and 240p is treated like 480i and force-deinterlaced. Unfortunately, it seems like none of the popular video processors will handle those transitions without dropping sync (Except maybe the DVDOs? Someone will have to correct me on that).

Your alternatives are currently to either play these games on a CRT or wait for some kind of HDMI mod with scaling functionality, like the UltraHDMI, that will seamlessly handle those 240p/480i transitions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:38 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
And into what display ? Or are you using a secondary processor ?

Directly into my display. It's a BenQ RL2755HM, and it pretty much accepts any resolution I throw at it since it's also a monitor. it also has the pretty neat Smart Scaling fuction that lets me scale the picture in anyway I want, I managed to get a perfect doubled integer scale for the XRGB-3's 480p output. 2D 240p look amazing, specially with scanlines. :D

@nmalinoski

The DVDO VP30 can handle the transitions just fine because it thinks 240p and 480i are the same thing, but I lose so much in quality that it's not really worth.

I thought the XRGB-3 wouldnt have this issue, but apparently it's because it's not as bad as the Framemeister. If it cant be fixed, then it's fine, I really like the machine anyways and that's a very minor thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:11 pm 

It's really up to your display. In B1 mode the drop when switching from 240p to 480i and vice versa is ultra-fast - basically a field or a frame depending. And the XRGB-3 certainly doesn't lose the source signal when doing so. On the monitors and TVs I've used the XRGB with this wasn't a issue. Yes, you usually get a resync, but that's more a flash than anything else.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148