XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: XRGB-3

Post by Fudoh »

I'm not too fussed.. I could manage with either B0 or B1.
If you want scanlines, you need B1. Either way, install the latest B0 fw and the B1 fw.
Either I'm confused or the Edge doesn't have VGA input though so not sure how to make that happen.
The Edge takes VGA through 5 RCA/Cinch jackets, the two sync inputs on the outer left and the lower component input.
Thirst

Post by Thirst »

Thanks! :)

I've put down an order for a VGA->RGBHV cable that should arrive in a few days. I will update the XRGB-3 firmware and test out the combination then.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I wired the RGBS, 5V, GND and stereo sound to my MegaDrive 1's EXT port as i will probably never have any need for this and it's the easiest way to get both video and sound in one socket.

I want to make my own RGB cable from scratch. I have some proper shielded cable suited for this stuff so that's no problem. The socket on the MD side is a 9 pin D-sub connector, so i just need a male connector that fits.

Fudoh said that i should use a 75ohm resistor on the C. Sync line. What should i do about the color lines? In this picture the color lines are fitted with a 75ohm resistor and a 220uF thingy.

Anything else i could do to improve the picture?

This is how i have connected sound and video to the EXT port on the MD1:

Code: Select all

--------------------------
\  1                  5  /
 \    O   O   O   O   O  /
  \                    / 
   \   O   O   O   O  /
    \ 6            9 /
     ----------------

1: R Audio
2: L Audio
3: Red
4: Green
5: Blue
6: C. Sync
7: Composite Video
8: Ground
9: 5Vcc
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

wired the RGBS, 5V, GND and stereo sound to my MegaDrive 1's EXT port
actually nice idea :) Back in the days I just cut the composite video line from the round Din socket and used it for Stereo instead.

The combination of resistors and capacitors is used according to the specs for the RGB encoder. On the MD cables I used I did not use capacitors, only resistors (otherwise the picture's too bright, almost PCB levels).

If you use the C-Sync line without any resistor you won't get a picture. This is basically why - over nearly 1.5 decades - nobody really believed that the Mega Drive had pure sync - simply because it didn't work. With a resistor in line, it works great and it's a huge improvement to the dirty composite video line which causes severe jailbar effects.

The picture shows C.Video instead of C.Sync, that's why there's no resistor in that line.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thanks for the input. Does grounding the pins next to the colors make any difference? Grounding the chassis (pin 21) does seem to make a big difference in my experience.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The XRGB "Grounds" are connected, so it's usually good enough to use one GND line. On the RGB cables I built, I usually connected the outer wire shielding to the outer metal connectors on both sides (Scart Pin 21...). On the inside I use one additional GND line for video (Pin 17 on Euro Scart) and only if available on the output, another one for audio GND. If you use a Scart plug which is pre-equipped with all 20 inside pins, you can cross connect the remaining GND Scart pins, but it doesn't make a difference - at least not on the XRGB.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you that makes it a little less tedious :)

Anyone knows the downsides to installing a 32X inside the MegaDrive (making a "Sega Neptune"). I've heard that one of the Shining Force games wouldn't save when played through a 32X, and i'm also pretty sure that the Master System converter doesn't work.
If some of the MegaDrive games wont work properly and sound/video quality drops then i'm not interested in doing this mod after all :)
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

Konsolkongen wrote:Thank you that makes it a little less tedious :)

Anyone knows the downsides to installing a 32X inside the MegaDrive (making a "Sega Neptune"). I've heard that one of the Shining Force games wouldn't save when played through a 32X, and i'm also pretty sure that the Master System converter doesn't work.
If some of the MegaDrive games wont work properly and sound/video quality drops then i'm not interested in doing this mod after all :)
MD version of Virtua Racing do not work with 32X but it's not a big deal since their is a 32X version.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Small correction to the statement MD's RGB cable: the sync line doesn't neccessarily need a resistor, but it needs a capacitor (between 100 und 220uF) to work. Checked one of my old cables and asked a friend...
MKL

Post by MKL »

Konsolkongen wrote:I wired the RGBS, 5V, GND and stereo sound to my MegaDrive 1's EXT port as i will probably never have any need for this and it's the easiest way to get both video and sound in one socket.

I want to make my own RGB cable from scratch. I have some proper shielded cable suited for this stuff so that's no problem. The socket on the MD side is a 9 pin D-sub connector, so i just need a male connector that fits.
I had the same idea. Then I noticed that the standard DB-9 connectors wouldn't fit through the EXT port cutout in the case. Only the more compact connectors on the controller cords would fit but using one of those crappy unshielded cables for video was unacceptable to me so I abandoned the idea. Widening the cutout was also ruled out as I didn't want to alter the case.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Yes i thought about that. I'm just going to butcher the cable housing and wrap it all up in some electrical tape. Won't look nice but i won't start cutting in the MegaDrive for this to work either :)
MKL

Post by MKL »

What's wrong with the stock A/V port?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

The correct 8-pin DIN connectors are hard to find (there are two different types). This is just the easiest way :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The correct 8-pin DIN connectors are hard to find (there are two different types)
look again, really. Both the MD1 type and the Neo Geo type are easy to be found at every large electronic dealer over here.
MKL

Post by MKL »

Konsolkongen wrote:The correct 8-pin DIN connectors are hard to find (there are two different types).
This is the correct one (I know because I get if from them when I need it):

http://dk.farnell.com/hirschmann/mas-80 ... Ntt=809792
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

^The only problem with that one is that Hirschmann makes are crap :wink:
You get what you pay for I guess.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Well i can't find any at my local store, and the webshop i usually buy from doesn't have any. Thanks for the links but i have already wired up the EXT port so thats what i'm going for now :)
MKL

Post by MKL »

ZOM wrote:^The only problem with that one is that Hirschmann makes are crap :wink:
All DIN connectors with plastic body are crap. I treat myself well and only use fully shielded connectors with metal body for my own cables:

http://a.imageshack.us/img651/4421/s202000799.jpg

They don't exist in Megadrive style though so I replaced the DIN socket on the console:

http://a.imageshack.us/img709/9471/36251608.jpg
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Yeah, I did the same - it's more convenient :)
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

MKL wrote:
ZOM wrote:^The only problem with that one is that Hirschmann makes are crap :wink:
All DIN connectors with plastic body are crap. I treat myself well and only use fully shielded connectors with metal body for my own cables:

They don't exist in Megadrive style though so I replaced the DIN socket on the console:

Ahh... basically the same thing you do for DUO RGB mods! :P I have avoided using the Genesis 1 systems, but do you guys think that a properly upgraded Genesis/MD 1 is better than the Genesis/MD 2?

BTW, superb pix! :D
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I have read on Sega-16 that the MegaDrive 1 is to be preferred over the MD2. I like the looks of the MegaDrive 1 more than the 2 which is not an ugly console by no means. But the video quality is in my experience better on the MegaDrive 2. Perhaps when i make my own cable using Fudohs recommendations i will get a picture as nice from my MD1 :)
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Konsolkongen wrote:I have read on Sega-16 that the MegaDrive 1 is to be preferred over the MD2. I like the looks of the MegaDrive 1 more than the 2 which is not an ugly console by no means. But the video quality is in my experience better on the MegaDrive 2. Perhaps when i make my own cable using Fudohs recommendations i will get a picture as nice from my MD1 :)
I picked up a Japanese MD1 and haven't really played around with it yet. The MD1 uses more discrete parts than the MD2, so I think it's more accessible than the MD2 for modding... is that part of the concensus?
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

I've heard that with a MD2 chances are higher that you'll get one with the crappy Samsung video-encoder instead of the Sony CXA1145P.
Also the sound chip does a way cleaner job in early Mega Drive models than in the later ones and the MD2... but there are ways around this(that you most likely already know about)

EDIT: I found both models easy to mod, but yeah, you could say that the "bulkiness"(is that a word?) of the first model makes it a bit easier IMO.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Yes the MegaDrive 1 is a little bit easier to mod. Both the 50/60Hz and JAP/ENG mod can be done with a simple jumper change. On the MegaDrive 2 the JAP/ENG is a little more tricky and involves either lifting a leg on a chip or cutting and soldering a very thin trace, i prefer the last method.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ ... 1280746650

I've heard about the sound being better on the MD1 as well but haven't really noticed any difference myself :) I really like the MegaDrive 1 + MegaCD 1 combo as it looks very hi-fi-ish but (at least in europe) the MegaCD 1 is quite a bit more pricey than the MegaCD 2.
In my experience the MegaCD 1 also loads a bit faster than the MegaCD 2. I.e when completing a stage in Sonic CD the music track that plays loads a lot faster on the MegaCD 1 and plays in its entire length. On the MegaCD 2 there is a noticeable pause and sometimes the track is cut short as the new stage begins.

The only small annoying thing about the MegaCD 1 is that when using Arakons Multibios you can't eject the tray when using the JAP bios. Of course this can be worked around by loading either the EU/US bios, ejecting and placing the JAP game in the tray and loading the JAP bios again :)
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

Konsolkongen wrote:The only small annoying thing about the MegaCD 1 is that when using Arakons Multibios you can't eject the tray when using the JAP bios. Of course this can be worked around by loading either the EU/US bios, ejecting and placing the JAP game in the tray and loading the JAP bios again :)
It's now possible to use a single region free bios => http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=27562

I'm going to update my Sega CD 2 soon, no need for switch anymore at least for CD :).

Edit: Direct link for people without account:

http://www.4shared.com/file/vjQbI31Z..._FREE_JUE.html

This one contains JPN/EU/USA bios for all MEGA/SEGA-CD1 standard tray model units.

http://www.4shared.com/file/_6bn2f0y...ONDERMEGA.html

Package contains:

JP_Wondermega_02061992_regionfree.BIN - JPN Wondermega 1
US_X'EYE_27121993_regionfree.bin - USA Wondermega 2
EU_MegaCD2_30031993_regionfree.BIN - EURO MCD2
JP_MegaCD2_22121992_regionfree.bin - JPN MCD2
US_SEGA_CDX_930907_regionfree.bin - USA CDX/Multimega
Last edited by darthcloud on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Kewl. I'm gonna pass this on my a friend of mine who burned the current multibios for me :)

Also people without an Assembler account can't access that link. I can't so i have no idea what it says, but my friend has access :)

EDIT: Hmm now i was able to create an account. Never been able to do that before... ;)
RGB32E

OT - Panasonic's new PRO LCDs are looking REALLY slick!

Post by RGB32E »

LF20U Series! Too bad they top out at 47"... fine with me! :twisted:

Specs:
http://www.panasonic.com//business/plas ... 7LF20U.pdf

Brochure:
http://www.panasonic.com//business/plas ... I_0426.pdf
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

If you buy 25 of these you can have the largest game of Batsugun ever! Pictures when you get it up and running please.
MKL

Post by MKL »

RGB32E wrote:
MKL wrote:

Ahh... basically the same thing you do for DUO RGB mods! :P I have avoided using the Genesis 1 systems, but do you guys think that a properly upgraded Genesis/MD 1 is better than the Genesis/MD 2?

BTW, superb pix! :D
Stereo is better on the MD1 (MD2 requires a complicated mod), if you make a proper mod that is (i.e. not tap it from the headphone jack):

http://a.imageshack.us/img827/3576/59773791.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img541/284/94289329.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img841/2342/88444250.jpg
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Interesting. Can you give us some more detailed information how this is done?