lunch_box

Re: XRGB-3

Post by lunch_box »

Thanks fudoh, I appreciate all the advice
NoelEdwards

Post by NoelEdwards »

Hi,

Got a problem with XRGB-3, hope some one can give some advice on what to do. When I enable B1 for scanlines I get out of range on my screen. My TV is a Sony KDL-22EX302, I'm connecting the XRGB-3 to my screen via VGA and I've tried a Megadrive & Super Nintendo.

The only way I can seem to get it working is by going into the power saving setting's on the TV and change it from standard to picture off. Only problem with doing that is when the screen goes black on the console the TV think's it's not getting a image and I have to go back in to power saving and change it from standard to picture off.

Can anyone offer any advice on what I can do to get it working, I've tried the XRGB-3 with a VGA monitor so I know it's not a problem with the XRGB-3. It works fine on the Sony TV when in B0 but I want scanlines.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The XRGB-3 does not work in B1 on any Sony TV since late 2010. Same problem on my current Sony TV set. I fixed it by adding a RGB interface in between (ebay: Extron RGB)

When you set the power saving mode to "picture off", the picture is supposed to go dark. That mode is for audio-only applications.
NoelEdwards

Post by NoelEdwards »

BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Neither B0 or B1 work on my 2009 Sony set even with an Extron in the chain.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you want to try it, despite BuckoA51's experience, look for a cheaper one. You can usually grab one for 20 pounds.
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

Probably just me being retarded, but I can't seem to get my XRGB-3 to work with my Sega Megadrive (jap) I get sound, but only flickering picture. Other consoles work great.
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You could try to switch the input termination from 75 ohms to 220 ohms on the front RGB input. Maybe the voltage level is too high. Can happen when your RGB cable is missing the proper resistors. You can also disable the V-Sync option (just for a moment, to see if it helps).
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I just got my recently bought XRGB3. While I'm still waiting for my scart converter for my RGB stuff (which I'm mainly going to use) I decided to hook up my PCE with composite.
First thing I'm noticing is this ''wavy'' thing at the top of the picture. I'm currently using dvi cable in 1080p resolution.

So... how do I get rid of this? :P

My apologies if this question has already been asked...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

increase the AFC setting. Unfortuantely the screen gets a little bit more shaky with increasing the setting. PCE is about the only system though which requires a rather high AFC setting.
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Thank you. looks better now 8)
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I'm having a little trouble trying to hook this up to my Hauppauge HD-PVR 2. No picture :?
The resolution is set to 1920x1080. Using a dvi to HDMI adapter.
works fine on my monitor without the HD-PVR.

Is there some kind of settings I need to change?

Btw, got my scart converter today. Both my NeoGeo and SFC looks amazing :D
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, it won't work. The XRGB-3 has the most incompatible DVI out ever and you're lucky that your TV works at 1080p (mine didn't). I can't imagine that you convince your HDPVR2 to work with it. If anything, you can try to disable the v-sync....
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Fudoh wrote:
no, it won't work. The XRGB-3 has the most incompatible DVI out ever and you're lucky that your TV works at 1080p (mine didn't). I can't imagine that you convince your HDPVR2 to work with it. If anything, you can try to disable the v-sync....
Well that sucks :/

Guess I could try disabling the V-sync. Maybe it will work in a lower resolution? 480p?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I don't think so. I actually don't think anybody succeeded in recording the XRGB-3's output without using another video processor to unlock the output refresh rate and retime the signal. If you want to do that you need an iScan HD+/VP20/VP30 or better....
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I see...

My only other processor is a Zinwell Brite-view. Which is probably worse than the XRGB3. But that thing actually worked on my HD-PVR1 with component.

A little disappointed that I'm unavailable to do recordings with the XRB3. I really should have looked this up first...

Has anyone had better luck with the XRGB-mini? Maybe I could consider this as a future investment.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

The mini is massively more compatible than the XRGB3 in any situation, but there are issues with the Mini not being able to properly disengage the v-sync which some capture cards require.
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
dsquared2

Post by dsquared2 »

Fudoh wrote:increase the AFC setting. Unfortuantely the screen gets a little bit more shaky with increasing the setting. PCE is about the only system though which requires a rather high AFC setting.

I use s-video input to my XRGB-3 and I don't know why colors are dim and the graphic "out Focus" :(
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

You'll need to give us a little more to go on than that, what are you attaching, which mode (B0,B1) what monitor/TV?
dsquared2

Post by dsquared2 »

BuckoA51 wrote:You'll need to give us a little more to go on than that, what are you attaching, which mode (B0,B1) what monitor/TV?
I'm using Supergun to play game and use "Video in 1 " input on rear of XRGB-3 in B1 mode to Samsung Led TV. I have used JPN 21pins scart input to XRGB-3 before, it worked great but I haven't play game over 6 months and recently, I used JPN 21 pins Scart again, unfortunately, it is no graphic when I use JPN 21pins Scart input to my XRGB-3 , I don't know why. Thanks.
NoelEdwards

Post by NoelEdwards »

I'm looking to change my TV, I had Sony 22" before which wouldn't work with my XRGB-3 currently I'm using a 15" HP Monitor which works great but it's a bit on the small side so I want something a bit bigger between 22" - 24". Can anyone recommend which TV or Monitor would be best to ensure compatibility with my XRGB-3.

Thanks in advance.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

There's one thing that has always bothered me about my xrgb3 setup, that I've just put up with so far. With my NES (I think other consoles do it too) and scrolling games like platformers, scrolling in any direction causes a "junk" layer of pixels to appear on the opposite side. Actually, its some weird wraparound--its like scrolling up causes about 6-8 pixels worth of info from the top of the screen to appear on the bottom (usually slightly garbled, but recognizable--not pure "junk" pixels). I tried adjusting the vertical/horizontal screen size on the XRGB manually, but since I'm in B1 mode, it seems that those controls do nothing.

I've fiddled with the different settings but come up with nothing; is this a TV problem or limitation of the xrgb? Has anyone else experienced this?
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

My XRGB-3 is on the way so want to make sure I have everything ready before it's delivered.

How have people from the UK powered it? Iv read some mixed methods, use step down converter, some have used 12v power supplies even though it's rated at 11v, could someone who uses it in the UK let me know what I should do?

Thanks, Vim
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I just use a stepdown with mine, not had any problems.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

I recently installed a hard drive in my PS2 and have been launching games off the drive with OPL. I'm using B1 with 480i signals. Whenever the PS2 resets video modes (launching OPL, in-game-reset, etc.) after re-syncing the picture's cut off about and inch off center from the top and the side. I've edited my games to display anamorphic widescreen, so whatever scaler or monitor (Gefen, Optoma or Asus) I'm feeding into's set to display widescreen. Is it worth trying an Extron RGB interface either directly before or after the XRGB in the signal chain?

EDIT: I've isolated the problem, it's not a sync issue, it's the widescreen hack for a single ISO.

EDIT 2: Spoke too soon, it's a particular game AND a sync issue. Now to figure out if it's the Gefen or XRGB... :cry:
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

Good luck with finding the problem, I also have a ps2 with OPL HD loader, should get my xrgb this week sometime so can test then.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Thanks, but I got it sorted late last light. It's a sync issue with the Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus, as long as I avoid the problematic game the XRGB works fine wired directly into my monitor or the Optoma. I don't want to add another link in the chain, so no Extron interface for now, the HD3000 works fine. I preferred to use the Gefen because the image quality is slightly softer and it quiets the shaky V-Sync to almost unnoticeable levels -- however, for this purpose (480i via B1) you won't notice it on the Optoma with the actual game only the XRGB menu.

I hope the XRGB likes your monitor! It's fantastic if they get along, otherwise you have to add another processor on the chain. Most of us either used a DVDO Edge (adds ringing), Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus (screen tearing, stuttering) or the Optoma HD3000 (sees the XRGB3 signal in B1 as 480p).
Last edited by SGGG2 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

Good news, what input have you connected the PS2 to your XRGB? Iv read you can get Component through both D-Terminal and the front RGB21 ports.
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

I hope it likes my monitor too! I just bought a Dell S2740L, really happy with it so far, big test is the XRGB-3.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you want to connect a PS2 to a XRGB, do yourself a favor and use RGB. The noisy PS2 component signal doesn't work well with the XRGB-3.