The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RGB32E

Re: XRGB-3

Post by RGB32E »

Famitakun is a Micomsoft employee!
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

RGB32E wrote:Famitakun is a Micomsoft employee!
I don't get it. Why is there a need for 1 person to own so many XRGB-3's then? Don't tell me they made different models.

Or is this simply their remaining stock?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

That's at Micomsoft's offices or storage. Either remaining stock or defective units. Too hard to get ;) ?
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Oh I see now... damn I guess the rumors about Micomsoft attempting to phase out the XRGB-3 are true then...

Slightly off topic but is Micomsoft making an XRGB-4 and if they are, will it offer SCART/VGA conversion? I felt that was an essential feature for the 3 two of the best analogue signals out there. As good as the 3 was there's room for improvement.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Oh I see now... damn I guess the rumors about Micomsoft attempting to phase out the XRGB-3 are true then...
it's time. I can't imagine too many people going for a XRGB-3 with the Mini available.
Slightly off topic but is Micomsoft making an XRGB-4 and if they are, will it offer SCART/VGA conversion?
I don't think they've started anything yet. A XRGB-4 would basically be a deluxe Mini. I still think the Mini will get a 31khz upgrade, and if you really need VGA, add a Fury to the Mini.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

A fully bugfixed B1 mode coupled with a Frame Meister in 'B0' mode would make for a very nice 'XRGB4' unit. Probably not going to happen though, still rather a niche market.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Plasia

Post by Plasia »

Fudoh wrote:
Slightly off topic but is Micomsoft making an XRGB-4 and if they are, will it offer SCART/VGA conversion?
I don't think they've started anything yet. A XRGB-4 would basically be a deluxe Mini. I still think the Mini will get a 31khz upgrade, and if you really need VGA, add a Fury to the Mini.
I thought the HDFury converted HDMI to RGBHV not RGBHV to HDMI??
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Let me rephrase, if you really need VGA output, add a Fury.

The Mini should be able to handle VGA inputs. You probably just need matching adapter with a sync combiner inside, see here:
http://www.twitpic.com/9d3edj
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yeah did anyone try that with the UMSA yet? That would allow VGA to be pushed down the same switching matrix as SCART thus avoiding the cable swap, theoretically anyway.
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I haven't had this thing hooked up in about a year. I tried it out again today, with the SLG3000....and it still looks like crap. Pixelated...umm...pixels...and jaggy as hell polygons. I'm primarily using my PS2.

Could this be that my monitor(which upscales everything to 720) is ruining the image?

Can someone show me a very clear picture, of a polygonal game, on this thing? Gradius V or something would be good.

I'm just not believing the hype here.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Sounds like you have it in B0 mode? Try B1 instead.
5tranger

Post by 5tranger »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I haven't had this thing hooked up in about a year. I tried it out again today, with the SLG3000....and it still looks like crap. Pixelated...umm...pixels...and jaggy as hell polygons. I'm primarily using my PS2.

Could this be that my monitor(which upscales everything to 720) is ruining the image?

Can someone show me a very clear picture, of a polygonal game, on this thing? Gradius V or something would be good.

I'm just not believing the hype here.
Here is a phone pic of Gradius V through my XRGB + SLG3000 and the screen used was a Dell U2211H Monitor

http://i49.tinypic.com/2yljji9.jpg
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Thanks for the pic.
fagin

Post by fagin »

HELP! :mrgreen:

Playing with a 480p signal from PS2 to XRGB-3 via component, then into a CRT PC Monitor. Monitor won't sync (image is all messed up), but change signal to 240p or 480i and it's fine. If I try it on a LCD it's 100% fine.

I suspect it's Vertical Frequency issue (monitor reporting a 59hz signal) with this specific PC CRT.... any ideas on what I can adjust (if anything) on the XRGB-3?

B1 mode is fine.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

tried another component input ? unlocked v-sync ? Really never had any problem with that.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Yeah.... tried all that and no joy. Banged it through the EDGE and HDFURY (took the XRGB out of the equation) and it's perfect.

The XRGB-3 was seeing the image as 525p.... the EDGE see's it as 480p. Not sure if that's a red herring.

Will try the XBOX 1 and see if that's the same.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

480p is called 525p in Japan, so that's ok....
fagin

Post by fagin »

Exactly the same with 480p mode on a XBOX 1. Must be another general compatibility issue.

Got to be honest though and say, feeding a CRT PC Monitor with a 480p signal is absolutely sublime. The games look truly stunning.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Fudoh wrote:480p is called 525p in Japan, so that's ok....
I have been enlightened.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I was experimenting with a new SCART switch today (and somehow managed to break my Bluedelta SMART SCART at the same time, hey ho) and also playing with my newly chipped Gamecube. Basically I was screwing around comparing picture quality with the various scalers I had set up and I can confirm that if you're transcoding 480p in B1 mode, using the GAME IN connector rather than the D-Terminal connectors results in a significant reduction in picture noise. It's especially noticeable on the PS2 as we all know, but it happens on the Gamecube and Xbox 1 too.

So there you go, get a simple YUV to SCART adaptor block on your SCART switch and feed in component that way and get better picture quality. I made a note of this on the wiki since it doesn't seem widely known. Just remember to switch back to RGB when you are done otherwise you might not get a picture on your RGB consoles :)
freyesm

Post by freyesm »

Just got a brand new SCPH-7501, but I'm unable to get a stable picture with SCPH-1050 and XRGB-3.

When I use on PS2 it works fine, even if it's NTSC U/C (SCPH-39001).

Help!

I tried the settings on wiki, but still having problems.
freyesm

Post by freyesm »

Fixed, RGB-21 was in wrong mode.
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

Hi all,

I have been reading as much of this thread as possible and it is very informative.

I am in the market for a decent scaler for my retro systems as my Sony trinitron CRT is moving to a smaller room in my house and would like the option the play snes, saturn, md etc in another room.

If I get an XRGB-3 is there much setting up required between different consoles? I plan on using US SNES, region modded MD/32X, Jap Saturn and RGB modded N64 all via RGB.

I was hoping it would be case of setting it up the once and then just switching consoles, or will more effort be required??

I will be using B1 scanline mode, of course :D

Thanks
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If I get an XRGB-3 is there much setting up required between different consoles? I plan on using US SNES, region modded MD/32X, Jap Saturn and RGB modded N64 all via RGB.
no, it's ok - much less hassle compared to the Mini. You also have two physical RGB ports which you can use with different settings - if required.
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

Fudoh wrote:
no, it's ok - much less hassle compared to the Mini. You also have two physical RGB ports which you can use with different settings - if required.
Thanks for the reply. I think i have read somewhere about "borders" on Saturn and MD with the xrgb-3 and wanted to check how much setting up woukld be required between each console.

So in theory once I have it set-up as to me preference I should be happy enough with the image when swapping consoles??
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I think i have read somewhere about "borders" on Saturn and MD
don't know what you mean, you have a link ?
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

Fudoh wrote:
I think i have read somewhere about "borders" on Saturn and MD
don't know what you mean, you have a link ?
Ummm I will see if i canfind where I read it. It was something along the lines of a border to either the right/top or bottom left of the pic when playing saturn/md games. Basically, I just want to know if the pic will fill the entire screen (top and bottom) when running my consoles thru the xrgb-3?? I realise that if I have it set ti 4:3 then i will have the standard bars to the left and right which i am happy about.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It won't fill the screen. B1 is a linedoubling mode and the output resolution is 480p, so if you have a source with 224 lines (Saturn for example), the signal will be doubled to 448 lines. The remaining 32 lines (16 on top, 16 on bottom) will remain black.
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

Fudoh wrote:It won't fill the screen. B1 is a linedoubling mode and the output resolution is 480p, so if you have a source with 224 lines (Saturn for example), the signal will be doubled to 448 lines. The remaining 32 lines (16 on top, 16 on bottom) will remain black.
Ah ok, I get it. Thanks for taking the time to answer my qusetions. I have also read thru the guide on your website and that is very helpful.

So in theory, games will look best through a 4:3 pc monitor (lcd/tft)?? I think i have a Dell Ultrasharp 20" 4:3 somewhere that should do a decent job.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

doesn't really matter which display you use. The display needs to upscale the 480p signal to it's native resolution. Some TVs do this great, some monitors do, others don't. On a TV set you can add overscan which eliminates the borders. On a monitor you usually can't.