XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Eggy

Re: XRGB-3

Post by Eggy »

pal wii and ps2 work fine via component.
any other ideas about the snes? I really don't want to buy an american snes or a sfc, especially since I can't perform the 50/60hz mod myself.
btw nice to get an answer from the great fudoh himself. your guide was a great help when I tried to update the xrgb.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

connecting the snes directly to the snes won't help. connecting it to the tv itself works fine, so it can't be the cable.
I assume you mean connecting the SNES directly to the XRGB. You still can't assume it's not the cable, your TV may simply be more tolerant than the oddity that is the XRGB3.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Eggy

Post by Eggy »

what the hell? it was the brightness. flashing white pictures cause the xrgb to lose sync. my snes seems to have a too bright picture in general, so the unit wouldn't sync(and I already soldered 75 ohm resistors to the cable). I just activated the 220 ohm resistors and it works fine. the day is saved.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Ah yes the brightness/loss of sync problem is quite common and well documented, but I've not seen it affect the SNES/SFC before.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Shin

Post by Shin »

Did anybody see this on http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/ :

NEW!!XRGBシリーズのアンケート投稿ページを掲載しました。(8/19 更新)

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/kssiori/index.html
http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-x.htm

XRGB-4 is probably in the works, and we can fill up the survey about inputs/outpouts and functions we'd like!!

I own an xrgb-3 but I'm really excited about this one ^^

Edit: ah, sorry, read the last few pages of this thread, thought it would only be there ^^''
Last edited by Shin on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Eggy

Post by Eggy »

another question: I`m not supposed to connect both vga and dvi at the same time. what happens if I ignore this advice?
btw thanks for all the support I`m getting from all of you. maybe I`ll stay here for a while^^
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm not supposed to connect both vga and dvi at the same time. what happens if I ignore this advice?
I think DVI is prioritized, so VGA won't work if DVI is terminated through a connected display.
maybe I`ll stay here for a while^^
where else would you say ? Is there any other video game tech board this knowledgeable :) ?
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

ASSEMbler games. :lol:
Eggy

Post by Eggy »

next question? why is te picture in b0 and 1920*1080 more colourful than in any other resolution or b1 mode?
btw the picture is kinda shaky(left/right, but only the upper half) with my snes. what could I do? I already reduced the afc to 0, lpf is activated(can I strengthen it somehow? the picture got shakier when I deactivated lpf).
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Eggy wrote:next question? why is te picture in b0 and 1920*1080 more colourful than in any other resolution or b1 mode?
Likely due to the fact that your TV doesn't have to scale the image! Sending a flat panel (fixed pixel display) with a signal that matches it's native resolution almost always looks better.

[/quote]btw the picture is kinda shaky(left/right, but only the upper half) with my snes. what could I do? I already reduced the afc to 0, lpf is activated(can I strengthen it somehow? the picture got shakier when I deactivated lpf).[/quote]

Does this happen only in B1 mode? Is your SNES PAL or NTSC? I've seen others have these kind of issues with the SNES on PAL TVs (SCART RGB input).
Dragonfly10

Post by Dragonfly10 »

Can anyone give me a hint on how to solve the following issue:

The picture of my japanese Sega Saturn (connected through RGB21) is too big (vertically) when I use B0 mode through DVI. When I use the Vertical Shift option in the menu I can see that the XRGB is getting the picture information that is missing on my screen but I can't get it to shrink it to fit on my LCD. The upper and lower portions always get cut off. On the LCD itself I can't make any adjustments because it's a DVI connection. It's a 16:9 LCD display with a 1920x1080 resolution (and I set the XRGB to this resolution, too). Aspect ratio is set to 4:3 because the source is 4:3.

The different screen size options don't help either because the default one is already the smallest setting, the alternatives are cutting off even more.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Is there a "Just scan, overscan, 1:1 pixel" setting or similar on your TV? It sounds like an overscan problem.
Dragonfly10

Post by Dragonfly10 »

I'm not using a TV it's a 23" LCD monitor. When I feed it with it's native resolution through DVI then there shouldn't be any overscan issues at all. There is an option for aspect ratio (full or keep aspect scaling) that I will try out but I don't think that this is going to help.
Actually overscan seems to describe the problem pretty much spot on but it seems more like the XRGB3 is having that issue itself since it should pack the whole picture into the set resolution without the need to alter anything on the display end. Or am I wrong on this one?
If someone uses the XRGB3 in conjunction with a LCD monitor 16:9 via DVI maybe they can post their menu values of all those H/V shift and so on from the XRGB3 screen menus?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Well if you are using a monitor then I doubt that overscan is an issue. There is an aspect setting in the XRGB-3's menu. You could try changing that and see if the picture gets smaller.

Or if you have a VGA cable try that instead and switch to the B1 mode (the one that supports scanlines). In this mode you can't adjust width or height and it should be very easy to see if the monitor adds any overscan.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Dragonfly10 wrote:I'm not using a TV it's a 23" LCD monitor. When I feed it with it's native resolution through DVI then there shouldn't be any overscan issues at all. There is an option for aspect ratio (full or keep aspect scaling) that I will try out but I don't think that this is going to help.
Actually overscan seems to describe the problem pretty much spot on but it seems more like the XRGB3 is having that issue itself since it should pack the whole picture into the set resolution without the need to alter anything on the display end. Or am I wrong on this one?
If someone uses the XRGB3 in conjunction with a LCD monitor 16:9 via DVI maybe they can post their menu values of all those H/V shift and so on from the XRGB3 screen menus?
First, try turning on the "Guidelines" (ガイド on the remote) to see if the 1080p signal you're feeding the monitor is centered. You should see white pixels at all four sides of the screen if you have the image centered correctly... your monitor with a DVI connection should have this correct by default.

Set all of the "Screen Settings" (画面調整) to 32, and try setting "Screen Size" to underscan (under "Screen +" menu). If you have Pixel Mapping set to On, turn it off!, as that'll definitely cause the vertical size to be too large with B0 @ 1080p!
Dragonfly10

Post by Dragonfly10 »

Thanks for the replies so far!

I turned on the Guidelines and the white lines are perfectly lined up on my display on every resolution.

Adjusting the ratio control on my 23" monitor didn't help. I set all screen options to 32, Screensize to Underscan and Pixelmapping off and I still get the problem. But the interesting thing is: when I change the resolution to 1680x1050 I get rather big black borders all around (monitor aspect ratio scaling kicks in) but all picture information is there. As far as I could tell this is the only resolution that works. Maybe I should add that I'm mainly testing this with Battle Garegga in TATE mode. I don't know the exact resolution on this one but it's different than those that are employed by Sonic Jam or the Last Gladiators Pinball game for example.

Maybe I can get to post 1-2 pictures of this tonight or tomorrow to illustrate the issue. Weird thing in any case but I still don't think that it's an issue with my monitor even when there is one resolution that works. It's just because when the guidelines are perfect the issue should be within the XRGB, shouldn't it?

Btw I'm using the latest english firmware on both banks that's available on the Micomsoft website.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

My guess would be that the Dot_by_Dot function is enabled. Give it a try and a disable it. [ as RGB32E stated above... Is Dot by Dot now called Pixel Mapping? ]
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Anyone here who knows if an Arcade cabinet with a 31khz monitor would work with the XRGB-3 in B1 mode and a MVS?

I'm thinking that a cabinet with a monitor that does only 31khz is probably cheaper than a trisync. Also if the Framemeister proves to be the shit then I'll probably won't be using my XRGB-3 on my TV anymore... :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I sure would expect a 31khz arcade monitor to work with the XRGB-3 in B1, possibly with an added Extron interface. Hell - if ANYTHING works with a MVS and a XRGB then it's a CRT.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Great. Will the scanlines from the XRGB-3 look strange when using it on such a screen?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

not at all, no. XRGB-3 + scanlines on a 31khz CRT usually even looks better than pure 15khz on a trisync monitor, due to the very heavy natural scanlines on those monitors.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Alright thanks :) Now we just have to wait and see how the Framemeister performs and how it handles scanlines.

I have no intension of getting a cabinet any time soon, but now I'm leaning more towards a pure 31khz rather than a trisync. The Naomi cabinets look great :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

While I agree that CRTs still look great, I can't play on CRTs anymore. My eyes start hurting after a quarter of an hour.... I guess that's the price for 7+ years of CRT abstinence now.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Or maybe you are getting old? :)
Shin

Post by Shin »

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Framemeister news go into the Framemeister thread.
Shin

Post by Shin »

Sorry my bad, forgot about that thread... ^^''
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Konsolkongen wrote: B1 mode through the Gefen is pixelperfect madness. Check out this picture:

My Gefen broke, so I picked up another one; gray with firmware 4.9. Unfortunately, the scaling is uneven as above. I have both of the XRGB-3's polarity output set to inverted, are there any other settings I should know about?
em0ti0n

Post by em0ti0n »

SGGG2 wrote:My Gefen broke, so I picked up another one; gray with firmware 4.9. Unfortunately, the scaling is uneven as above. I have both of the XRGB-3's polarity output set to inverted, are there any other settings I should know about?
Try to change output resolution for B0 mode. Even though it might sound stupid it should work.
It works with its default 1024x768 resolution, at least on my XRGB3 + Gefen combo.