Valgar

XRGB-3

Post by Valgar »

Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
subcons

Post by subcons »

Whaoh. When does this hit the market?

Time to sell my 2+ and pick up one of these while the gettin' is good...?
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

I have no idea, I bet NCSX might know though.

Price is about $330.
COWBOY-RJJ
subcons

Post by subcons »

$330? Fuuuuck. Must be a nice unit. Anxious to see how it performs. If anyone buys this, you have to review it, got that?
elvis

Post by elvis »

subcons wrote:$330? Fuuuuck.
Seconded. That's a whole cabinet right there.
SAM

Post by SAM »

XRGB-2 was out not very long ago.

There is already XRGB-3?! That's fast.

What the difference between this and the last unit?

I was wondering buying a XRGB-2 back then, but turn out buying an 29" Astro City's monitor.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
SAM

Post by SAM »

Seen the spac, it only able to convert RGB singal from Home Console, that means PCBs with less than 60fps might not be able to use this unit.

Added features might be it now support LCD monitor, but well the slow reaction time LCD is never fit for playing shmups anyway.

It be better to save your money for a Baast City Cab, I think you could connect you PC to its monitor, since it support VGA, and make it a MAME Cab.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
subcons

Post by subcons »

SAM wrote:Added features might be it now support LCD monitor, but well the slow reaction time LCD is never fit for playing shmups anyway.
The others work fine with an LCD, assuming you have the right LCD hooked up to it. Preferably a lower rez one, like a television LCD or just a 15" monitor with 1024x768 for the XRGB-2+. It's a limitation of the LCD's native rez, not the upscale unit.

But, does this mean it'll output more, higher resolutions so you can use bigger LCDs? Now that would be neat. As for response time, it's really a matter of opinion + monitor performance. Of course, it'll never look better than CRT, not arguing that.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Thanks for sharing this news, Valgar. Weird timing, as I had an urge to check Micomsoft's webpage about a week ago (hadn't checked it in ages). Didn't see the XRGB-3 then...now one week later, here. :)

The main additions seem to be the support for progressive scan in/out and DVI output. No need for seperate transcoders. The price is only yen5000 more than the 2+ (keep in mind that is MSRP, street price will be significantly less).
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3.htm

Just a heads up, thing is rolling for 38640 yen.

Now, how does one connect component stuff to this? Anyone know where such cables (e.g., component to D4 or the "SCART" they have here) can be bought?
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

NCSX has this for pre-order now.
Notable updates include 525i, 525p, 1125i, and 750p support through D4 input, firmware updates through USB port, output via digital RGB (DVI-D) as well as analog RGB (15-pin), full featured remote control, and more.
I'm sure they will have more info on release.
COWBOY-RJJ
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Looks like it earned the "3".
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yeah, it's about time that Micomsoft came out with the XRGB-3... ^_~

Of course, I've already got my trusty XRGB-2 which is perfect for those odd-sync rate outputs of Toaplan & Seibu Kaihatsu shmup PCBs. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

My TV has DVI-D but no component inputs. That really pissed me off. So now I have ordered the XRGB-3 from playasia. I'll try to make a review of it as soon as I get it.
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

Yesterday I opened up my brand new XRGB-3.

The unit is delivered in a box with the following content:
* 110V powersupply
* remote control
* 2 x AAA batteries, manual
* software cd
* D-Terminal to component adapter.

Yes there is a D-Terminal to component adapter ! It was well hidden so I guess I was misinformed.

I hooked up my gamecube to one of the D-Terminals and a CRT monitor to the VGA output. Quality is fine considering I only get interlaced signal from my cube. I switch from 1024x768 to 1280×1024, picture quality is better. I can see thin lines on some parts of the picture (such as the light around the jet engine exhaust in F-Zero GX). I'm guessing this is due to the interlaced signal. The semi visible diagonal lines I get with RGB scart cables are now gone. Though I don't know if that is because of the higher quality D-Terminal cable or the XRGB-3. OK, everything seems to be in order. Now I hook up my LCD TV using the DVI connection. Picture quality is good on both 1024x768 and 1280×1024. Sadly neither my CRT or LCD TV supports the highest resolution.

Onto the menus. Not knowing any japanese, about 70% of it can be figured out just by moving the sliders up and down. Plenty of options for correcting colors, gamma and picture alignment.

limitations/issues:
* It seems to autodetect on which port a monitor is connected, DVI or VGA. It doesn't output on both, when DVI is connected it automaticly chooses that over VGA.
* VGA inport is probably not intended for computer monitor use. No signal there.
* Ikaruga tate mode: Picture isn't scaled on the width to fit the screen. Instead some of the left and right is cut. Maybe there is a solution in the maze of japanese menus ?
* Getting the picture to stretch over 100% of the monitor surface seems impossible.

The XRGB-3 feels like a quality product but I need more time for testing and for figuring out the japanese menus :) Please reply if you have any experience and information that might help. If you know japanese, can you please translate some of the essential parts ?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For Inkvisitor,

Thanks for the XRGB-3 review, and do you have an earlier released XRGB upscan convertor as well: the XRGB-1, XRGB-2 or the XRGB-2+ versions?

I have the XRGB-2 which seems that with some fellow shmuppers, it tends to have problems with the "On/Off power switch" or some other internal problem that can't be fixed (unless sent in directly to Microcom for repairs).

And what are the dimensions of this new fangled XRGB-3 in USA measurements?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

No I don't have the XRGB2 or + so I can't compare features. But from what I have heard it's very much like the XRGB2+ except that it has a new DVI port and support for HD TVs. The "On/Off" power switch is working fine on both the unit and the remote. Though you have to hold it in for a while.

The dimensions are probably somewhat bigger than the previous models. It has to be. They just add ports, never remove any. I can get back to you on dimensions but they'll be in metric :)

I will take some shots of the menusystem and post them here. Anyone who feels up to it can translate.
fubarduck

Translation

Post by fubarduck »

I'll be happy to translate the menu items as soon as you can post them :D

My main question to you about the XRGB-3 on your LCD HDTV is this:

Are you forced to play your 4:3 games stretched to 16:9 or is there an option on the XRGB-3 you have found to fix the aspect ratio for HD displays?
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

In the link below are some screenshots of the japanese menusystem. Feel free to translate any part you like. I have started translating the remote just for fun.

I think there are some options in there for various screen aspects.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonas.jense ... 8680766482
thchardcore

Re: Translation

Post by thchardcore »

fubarduck wrote:I'll be happy to translate the menu items as soon as you can post them :D

My main question to you about the XRGB-3 on your LCD HDTV is this:

Are you forced to play your 4:3 games stretched to 16:9 or is there an option on the XRGB-3 you have found to fix the aspect ratio for HD displays?
Unrealted, but...

From Norcal to Texas, 3rd Strike holla!

lol
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
fubarduck

Post by fubarduck »

Inkvisitor wrote:In the link below are some screenshots of the japanese menusystem. Feel free to translate any part you like. I have started translating the remote just for fun.

I think there are some options in there for various screen aspects.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonas.jense ... 8680766482
The following translation may not be copied or reproduced in ANY way without credit!

First picture (top to bottom):

アスペクトーAspect Ratio
画質調整ーImage quality tuning
画面調整ーScreen adjustment
子画面調整ーSub-screen adjustment
画面特徴規定ーScreen-unique setup
サウンド調整ーSound adjustment
オプションーOption
スペシャルーSpecial

Second picture (Aspect Ratio)
アスペクト
自動 (Automatic)  ノーマル (Normal)  ワイド (Wide)

Third picture (Image quality tuning)
明るさーBrightness
ガンマーGamma
黒レベルーBlack level
鮮明度ーSharpness
RレベルーRed level
GレベルーGreen level
BレベルーBlue level
RガンマーRed gamma
GガンマーGreen gamma
BガンマーBlue gamma
色あいーTint
色の農さーColor darkness/thickness

Fourth picture (Screen adjustment)
出力水平位置ーHorizontal adjustment (for the outputting image)
出力垂直位置ーVertical adjustment (for the outputting image)
水平位置ーHorizontal adjustment (for the entire screen)
垂直位置ーVertical adjustment (for the entire screen)
水平画面比率ーHorizontal screen proportion
垂直画面比率ーVertical screen proportion

Fifth picture (Sub-screen adjustment)
子画面表示-Sub-screen status indicator
子画面サイズーSub-screen size
子画面水平位置ーSub-screen horizontal adjustment
子画面垂直位置ーSub-screen vertical adjustment
子画面比率ーSub-screen proportion

Sixth picture (Screen-unique setup)
ガイドライン:Guideline
PC水平ドットマッチ:PC horizontal dot match
PCマッチ:Match to PC
PC手動ドットロック:Manual PC dot lock
PCスキュー:PC Skew
NTSCドットロックーNTSC dot lock
NTSC手動ドットロックーManual NTSC dot lock
NTSC AFC
AFC レベル:AFC level
アンダースキャン:Underscan
描画方式:Drawing method (sounds like this changes the process it uses to display the image)

Seventh picture (Sound adjustment)
音声レベル:Sound/voice level
ミキサ:Mixer
消音:Mute
高音調整:Treble adjustment
低音調整:Bass adjustment
ラウド:Loudness
センター調整:Center adjustment

Eighth picture (Option)
D入力2信号方式:D-Terminal input #2 setting
21ピン入力信号方式:RGB input setting
21ピン入力終端:RGB input terminal (?)
V同期ロック:V-Sync lock
電源設定:Power-on setup (sounds like you can change this setting so that the XRGB-3 is always on, like with the XRGB-2+)
静止:Stillness (Not sure, maybe a setting to power-down automatically if left idle?)
Y/C分離設定:Y/C seperation setup
水平同期極性:Horizontal sync polarity

Translation by fubarduck, may not be copied or reproduced in ANY way without credit!

That having been said, hope that helps man. It looks like a ton of useful settings have been added since the XRGB-2 series.

In exchange for helping with this, would you mind hooking this up to your LCD HDTV and letting us know if you are forced to play games stretched in HD resolution, or if the "Normal" or "Automatic" settings under "Aspect" allow you to play the games in a normal 4:3 window while your TV is stretching the image? Thanks a lot for your quick review, hope to keep hearing great things about it.
ChronoLe

Post by ChronoLe »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:For Inkvisitor,

Thanks for the XRGB-3 review, and do you have an earlier released XRGB upscan convertor as well: the XRGB-1, XRGB-2 or the XRGB-2+ versions?

I have the XRGB-2 which seems that with some fellow shmuppers, it tends to have problems with the "On/Off power switch" or some other internal problem that can't be fixed (unless sent in directly to Microcom for repairs).

And what are the dimensions of this new fangled XRGB-3 in USA measurements?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

The measurements are the exact same as the XSelect-D4 unit.
Length- 11.5'' or 29cm
Height- 2'' or 5cm
Depth/width- 5 & 1/8'' or 13cm

I've Had an Xrgb-2 for 6 years and havn't had any problems with the power button. The Xrgb-2+, Xrgb-3, and Xselect-D4 all use a soft power up method so it's probably different (more stable??) than the one for the Xrgb-2. The only product I don't have is the Xrgb-1, so I wouldn't be able to tell you the differences. I just got my Xrgb-3 in today, so far it just seems like a combination of the functions from the Xrgb-2+ and the XSelect-D4. Although, the on screen text looks a lot more steady than they did on the Xrgb-2+. It seems like they fixed the jaggy text problem that plagued the 2+.
"Insert More Coin(s) To Continue...
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

Here are a couple of screenshots showing the different combinations of aspect modes, FZero GX and XRGB-3. Hope this answers your question. What exactly are you trying to figure out anyway ? I'm happy if the picture is FZeroWide and XRGB-3 in 4:3. Is this not possible on previous versions ?

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonas.jense ... ide?stop=6
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

I found some submenus I forgot to shoot (se link below). Can you please translate a little bit more ? When it's all complete I will post the entire tree with menu numbering.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonas.jense ... 7444572178
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

@fubarduck

thanks a lot, mate ! I haven't got my XRGB-3 yet, but your translation will surely be a great help on the initial setup !!

THANKS !!
fubarduck

Post by fubarduck »

Inkvisitor wrote:I found some submenus I forgot to shoot (se link below). Can you please translate a little bit more ? When it's all complete I will post the entire tree with menu numbering.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonas.jense ... 7444572178
Here we go:

First picture (Guideline submenu)
ガイドライン:Guideline
オフ:Off  オン:On

Second picture (PC Match)
PCマッチ:PC Match
(Something is greyed out here, but it's unreadable in the picture).

Third picture (NTSC Dot)
NTSCドット:NTSC Dot
Something 準:Something level (Left character is too blurry)
手動:Manual

Sorry, but I looked over the rest and it's way too blurry for me to read it. If you wouldn't mind taking some larger and clearer pictures, I'll gladly finish the translation.

As for my question, I don't think you understood quite what I was asking, but your screenshots answered my question.

It looks like (unfortunately) that you're unable to play normal aspect (4:3) games in a 4:3 window when the XRGB-3 upscans them to High Definition resolutions on an HDTV. Even with your XRGB-3 in "Normal" mode and the game set to "normal" mode, the image is stretched. Unless there's a setting hidden somewhere that we haven't gotten to yet, it may not be possible to accomplish this.

Since a lot of us want to hook up old-school systems with 4:3 games to our HDTVs through the XRGB-3, this is quite a disappointment! Of course, a patch is always possible. The update on Micomsoft's Web site apparently adds a line doubler for 480p output capabilities a-la the XRGB-2+ (which would allow you to play your games unstretched, but not in high def). Ideally there will be a bright future with this device via the firmware updates!

I hope everyone finds the translation useful . . . I'll be able to finish it on Sunday or Monday once I have some clearer snapshots.
ChronoLe

Post by ChronoLe »

Fubar, I don't know if this makes a difference, as I don't have a HDTV, but perhaps changing the resolution output on the XRGB-3 can fix the stretching effect on 16:9 displays. Try running it at 1600x1200 output? I have no way of testing this, as I play on a 24'' wide Sony CRT monitor. By the way, thanks for the translation of that on screen menu!
"Insert More Coin(s) To Continue...
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

I understand what you mean now. However my TVs native resolution is 1024x768, that's a 4:3 resolution. And that is the resolution that looks best using it as a computer monitor. It only handles aspects differently when using the SCART or RF for TV, DVD and such. I'm not sure if all HDTVs are like this, maybe new HDTVs can do aspects with HDMI input?

If someone finds news on XRGB firmware, it'll probably be in japanese, please post some info here.

fubarduck, did you try using the builtin magnifying glass in the upper right corner ? It clears up the text a bit but the grey text is still a bitch. I can try to take a better shot of it.
fubarduck

Post by fubarduck »

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb3_update_setup_v1_02.exe

This is the newest firmware update. According to the Japanese PDF, this one adds line doubling capabilities (for 640x480 output). Been available for a couple of weeks already.

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3_download.htm

This site has instructions on how to install the update. They're in Japanese, but the pictures should give you an idea on what to do.

And yeah, Ink, I would really appreciate some clearer snapshots! The last batch is unreadable, even when zoomed in.
Trowaay

Post by Trowaay »

Hi all, just some quick questions. For me, since I have an LCD monitor this seems to be the best decision.

If I were to hook up my Playstation 2 up to this thing, would only the 480p games work on it, or would I be able to play all my games flawlessly?

What's a safe place to purchese something like this?

And finally, what kind of cables would I need to buy separately for this thing if I wanted to hook up my PS2 to it with component?

Thanks for the help.