XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tongshadow

Re: XRGB-3

Post by tongshadow »

Lawfer wrote:
tongshadow wrote:Ok, so has anyone here did the JP21 -> EU SCART mod?
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/images/d/d4/Xr ... eu-mod.png

I just did the mod myself, but the picture on my RGB modded SNES Jr is extremely dark.
Extremely dark? I know that the XRGB-3 makes the picture darker than the OSSC (though you can change tat in settings) which seems to keep the original brightness, but it doesn't make it "extremely" dark, did you test it before doing the mod?
Already solved the issue, see my previous post. Now that I have an RGB SDTV I could test my Snes Jr. mod and it was in fact too bright! Had to add the 1.2k resistors to properly bring the levels down.

And I didnt notice any differences in brightness between the OSSC and the XRGB3 on other sources (component).
Austin

Post by Austin »

Hey guys, question for those experienced with a wide range of XRGB devices. I'm contemplating picking up a 3 but am not 100% sure yet.

I have a XRGB-2+ I bought about a year and a half ago without doing any research (big mistake!). I like the device (it looks very good on my CRT monitor), but it has a notably shaky image when capturing from it (I run it into a Datapath E1S).

Example: https://youtu.be/g1ez3eQDZR8?t=3533 (mute audio if needed, this was from a live stream; also, this is difficult to see on a phone, preferably viewed on a desktop).

You can see the shakiness around text and the character portraits in particular. From what I understand, the 2+ is notorious for this. Will the XRGB-3 correct this, or does it tend to exhibit the same issue? No setting that I've found on the 2+ removes the shaky nature, it only alters where it's most prominent/noticeable.

I would just go for an OSSC for this capture setup, but I have a few systems that are s-video only and so it will be a no-go for those (3DO, CD-i, FM Towns Marty, etc). The XRGB 2+ looks great on the CRT itself and it's still generally good in capture through the E1S on fast-paced games, but anything with static elements (like score displays or huds), that shakiness gets noticed by even the most casual viewers.

I don't mind upgrading to the 3 as I could surely get some money back for the 2+, but if it doesn't correct this issue then it's probably not worth the hassle.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you see the jitter on the capture, but no on your CRT, it's likely that the sampling and/or phase setting on your capture card are not set correctly.

What's your set capture resolution?

IIRC the 2 and 3 are more stable, but it still comes down to the proper settings. Using the 2 or 3 on LCDs with VGA inputs the sampling resolution always defaults to a wrong vesa resolution (640x480). On a display (or processor or capture card) with variable sampling settings you can set it to 720x480 instead and adjust the phase as necessary. You should be able to do this on your datapath.

Do you already have an OSSC ?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Fudoh wrote:If you see the jitter on the capture, but no on your CRT, it's likely that the sampling and/or phase setting on your capture card are not set correctly.

What's your set capture resolution?

IIRC the 2 and 3 are more stable, but it still comes down to the proper settings. Using the 2 or 3 on LCDs with VGA inputs the sampling resolution always defaults to a wrong vesa resolution (640x480). On a display (or processor or capture card) with variable sampling settings you can set it to 720x480 instead and adjust the phase as necessary. You should be able to do this on your datapath.

Do you already have an OSSC ?
I recall playing with the phase on the DP but the issue was still there. Granted, that was when I first got the XRGB 2+, so I'll have to double check and see if I missed something. I remember messing with any setting I could (both on the 2+ and the DP) because the issue was so obvious, I couldn't find a solution and I have just lived with it since.

I should note that the jitter is there on the CRT, it just masks it pretty well compared to the Data Path and so I don't notice it nearly as much while I'm playing.

The capture resolution, the DP automatically detects that, so it's whatever the 2+ outputs, assuming the card picks it up correctly. Like the phase, I'll have to double check this. I'll basically evenly resize the DP preview window (DP's software seems to do some nice scaling) and I'll just grab it with a window capture in OBS.

Regarding the OSSC, I did actually have one but sold it earlier this year. I also use an Elgato in certain scenarios (and still have a Framemeister for that) but the OSSC didn't play nice with it at all, nor the LCD displays I had in other parts of my apartment at the time, so I parted with it.

I'd go through the FM 100% for capture, but the Elgato has a host of its own issues.

It's... complicated.
Last edited by Austin on Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's been so long, things starting to blur...

I think on the XRGB-2 and 3 it should be possible to dial in sampling and phase to basically eliminate all jitter. On the 2plus I might not be possible. It was - for a reason - always considered the weakest of the three machines.

I was asking for the OSSC, because you could test the OSSC *after* the XRGB, to see how the sampling and phase setting affect the visible jitter.

If you have a FM, why don't you pair the FM with the DP (instead of the Elgato) ?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when you mentioned the OSSC. It's not a bad idea and I wish I tried that before parting with it.

As you suggested, I've recently been thinking along the same lines of running the Framemeister into the Datapath. The issue is that I had my Elgato first, and so my entire chain running up to my LCD is based on HDMI. Changing over to DVI is going to complicate the setup a lot.

For instance, the Datapath only has one port on it and I still need to run my old PCs into it as well, so I'd need to implement a DVI switch box. But then I'd need the signal from the FM also going to the DP, LCD and CRT all at the same time, so I'll also need a DVI splitter/amplifier in the chain. Then neither my LCD or CRT are DVI, so then I would also need extra DVI to VGA adapters as well.

Sheesh, just thinking about it makes my head hurt. After a lot of thinking I came to the conclusion it would be easier to keep working with my current setup for now, but it's an idea I will likely revisit in the future.

If something like a XRGB-3 can fix the jitter issues, then I'm totally OK with going that route. It would be the course of action that would require the least amount of effort.
Austin

Post by Austin »

All right, I took the plunge and the XRGB-3 arrived today. Can confirm the jitter issues were 100% the XRGB-2+. The image from the XRGB-3 on my CRT and the capture is stable and looks pretty good. There are a lot more options to dial things in too, which is nice.
5tranger

Post by 5tranger »

https://imgur.com/a/gx0BoQq

Apologies if this information is already available but I just ordered a generic power adapter off Amazon as I was bummed out my XSelect-D4 suddenly died. I thought I'd try out a new power adapter to see if that was the issue and thankfully it resolved the issue.

The XSelect-D4 ended up taking the B plug with dimensions 6.3*3.0mm, and takes 12V 1A

While I was at it, I tried on my XRGB-3 which fit the H-Yellow plug dimensions of 5.5*1.0mm, and takes 11V 1.25A
freyesm

Post by freyesm »

Folks,

My remote control (from XRGB-3) has died.

I need the codes to programming with an universal one.

Does anyone has them? I really need them.

Thanks!
Yaowen1978

Post by Yaowen1978 »

:?: The XRGB3 I have got some problem on Game in port with RGB21 input
Below is the video capture about the failure symptom, the video function is abnormal, but audio function work fine. Other input port work fine. :cry:

https://youtube.com/shorts/7mwoSKLc3yM? ... dtn2Ll3Y4e

If try to plug and plug again the video may working, but not every time can get good result, mostly will show color block, sometime may get working gaming but the resolution is wrong. Only half screen size. Just like the below video shows
https://youtube.com/shorts/FmnWdm54B7Y? ... VSR4kl2ujJ

I also using the CRT monitor as double check with RGBS input by RGB21 pin define
And RCA input the composite AV signal to XRGB3. The game signal source and cable are both fine, seems the XRGB3 have some hardware error happened

https://youtube.com/shorts/xllgpEyyxHs? ... s1ZEi3BItW

Detail check the Video output from XRGB3 the top area have some deformation. Does any one know what kind of error relate to this issue. Or have any solution for this situation.

I do not think this can be solve by FW update, due to what ever B0 B1 change there is no help for this.

I also try upgrade the FW, there no any improving by the FW change. Does this related to video switch IC AN15865A.