XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Craiji

Post by Craiji »

When my box is in B1 mode it still shows my set res 1200 x 1600 from B0 mode, one way to check is to see what your monitor reads as it's current res should be 640x480 for most consoles
mario2butts

Post by mario2butts »

Aha! That was the problem all along. My crappy CRT I was testing the XRGB on had no way of telling me the output resolution. My projector, however, happily reported that the XRGB was outputing 480p. And sure enough, everything I threw at it played lag-free. :D

Now I'm playing my Super NES at 77" lag-free in RGB color, and it freaking rules. Thanks SO much to Craiji and the rest of you here for the help and guidance!!
Marler

Post by Marler »

I bought a multi RGB lead from gamestation
(It has connectors for PS2 Xbox and Gamecube)
And I wanted to modify it to use with my XRGB3.
After finally managing to get the pins out.
(Is there any easy way of doing this? - In the end I invested in a very fine pair of pliers to remove them.)
Anyway, following the 2 guides from here...
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/rgb21pinj.htm
and here...
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:scart_connector
I came up with this...
(Excuse the dodgy colour coding, it's to match the actual wires inside.)
As is usual with all the troubles we seem to have with this device, it hasn't worked, the XRGB3 says there is nothing connected to the 'GAME IN' port.
It's hard to work out exactly what goes where, as each guide to the pinouts I find uses different terminology to the last.
So can anyone enlighten me?
FYI Pin 17 (That I did not use for the JP layout) is connected back to pin 18 with a wire, so that's an additional ground yes? Any use?
If we can get this nailed down it should make life easier for further visitors to this fine repository of XRGB information.
(Or you could just be ticked off that I have revived this monster thread, either or.)
MKL

Post by MKL »

Your diagram is not correct. Try this:

Basically, if you want to hook up an RGB source (e.g. a console) to a device with a Japanese 21-pin RGB input you need to make the following connections:

Code: Select all

Console            RGB-21

R                  15
G                  19
B                  20
Sync               9
Ground             any of 3,4,7,8,13,14,17,18
Audio L            1
Audio R            5
+5V                16 through 100ohm resistor

You may also want to run +5V to pin 11.
Marler

It works!

Post by Marler »

It worked!
Looks like I was just 2 pins off. Thanks MKL.
So it now looks like this...
Works fine with PS2 and Xbox, can't verify wether the nintendo connector
works as I don't own a single nintendo console that outputs RGB.
Maybe now I should consider updating the software.
MKL

Post by MKL »

You have the stereo wires reversed, gamesx pinout is incorrect.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

resoldering was easier than the pin swapping for me....
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Craiji

Post by Craiji »

Future firmware Update to have WUXGA (1920*1200) support.
http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/urananiwa11.htm

Maybe I will be using Base 0 mode a little more often. I hope that when running at this resolution, there is some control over what happens to 4:3 content (stretched or pillar boxed) as well as 16:9 (stretched or letter boxed)
lawnspic

I need some serious help on this guys

Post by lawnspic »

Ok i just about got this figured out, but need some help, this is cable to go from a VGA arcade video card(Ultimarc) to a Japanese Sony wega with a 21 pin RGB input( Jap scart)

I just have one thing that needs an answer

Look at the 20 and 16 pin on the euro scart(i will use the euro scart as reference for now)

I read two other tuts with conflicting wiring

This one shows the H and V sync on pins 16 and 20 combined with what looks like a small jumper wire between them

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/callum.hen ... 000007.htm

This one has both the H and V syncs from the VGA cable going to pin 20(composite sync) and sending 5V to 16

http://www.willcoxonline.com/mame/video/video.html

Which one is correct?

also i assume i need to send 12v to the AV select pin as well

Sorry if im not clear enough, im the one trying to build a VGA to 21 pin Jap scart for Gaijin. I have got it all ready to go except for this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

also thanks for the euro scart to jap scart diagram, i would be lost without it
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
ChronoLe

Post by ChronoLe »

I think Micomsoft just released a new firmware on the 22nd, version 1.10 If anyone can read the update page, can you let me know what was added or updated since the last release? Thanks in advance. Craiji, in my opinion that 1920X1200 mode should have been implemented when they first designed the unit. I've still been using my D4 for my 360 and PS3 because the unit doesn't scale the image.
"Insert More Coin(s) To Continue...
Craiji

Post by Craiji »

Small Update with bug fixes:

A problem with WinInP viewer displaying at 1600*1200
A Problem with the S-video inputs is now resolved
wxhsplash

Post by wxhsplash »

When I play Wii sports bowling with XRGB-3 in B0 or B1 mode,
there is a display bug only occur during "strike" replay.

My LCD monitor is an old old SAMSUNG SyncMaster 152T.

I recorded it and put it on web.

In B0 mode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MEavfAwuWg

In B1 mode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz-kV0EXxC0
Craiji

Post by Craiji »

New Firmware - Adds Base 2 (B2) for widescreen monitor support

Looks like they are giving the choice to stick with 1.10 or go with 2.00, as Micomsoft is considering it a beta version

Even while in B2 mode, 1080i and 720p do not take up the whole screen, the screen mode must be set to wide, which in turn makes 480i/p wide as well
ChronoLe

Post by ChronoLe »

Craiji, I was using both a PS3 and Xbox 360 in 1080i in B2 mode and they filled the screen fine. I'm playing on an Apple 23" Cinema display. So I'm not quite sure I understand the first part of your last statement. However, I havn't tried any other systems yet, nor have I tried it with my 24" Sony crt monitor.

What type of display are you playing on?

So far, I'm pretty satisfied with the update. If I set the XRGB-3 to normal (4:3) it will letterbox the 360 or ps3 image on the monitor. So I would assume that 480p material would be displayed correctly. As far as lag goes, I have no idea. I've been playing Gears of War on Xbox Live and it doesn't seem to have hampered my play that much. I'm no expert on input lag though, so don't take my work for it.

Hopefully Saturn games will look decent on the cinema display, I havn't played tate games for a while because the sony monitor is around 95 pounds and moving it to its side is rather unpleasant, lol.
"Insert More Coin(s) To Continue...
Craiji

Post by Craiji »

I am using my Ps3, 720p and a HD cable box, 720p on Bank 2, 1920x1200 on A Sony 23' WUXGA monitor.

If I have the Unit set to automatic it will not display in wide screen, but if I change the setting to wide 720 will stretch out cutting off the edges and of course 480i/p will be stretched.

Micomsoft sent me an e-mail back today and informed me they are working on the problem - hopefully in the next release it will be fixed
Deckers

Re: Color distortion with RGB Scart input...

Post by Deckers »

i upgraded the firmware of my XRGB
but i still got the same problems when i hook up my NEOGEO

it's a Shame
i'm gonna return mine to Honk-Kong
FYI i got the same problem as Fudoh

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we're currently trying to get a XRGB3 running on friend's setup (WXGA Samsung LCD TV), but we get distorted colors in RGB mode.

E.g. like this:

We're using the very same EU-JP Scart adapter which worked flawless on my setup.

Any ideas what might cause this color distortion ?

Fudoh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

I've just read all the pages of this thread and I'm looking for advice on which XRGB unit to go for.

All I want to do is hook up these consoles to a CRT-VGA monitor without lag:

* SuperGun with ESPgaluda II through euro-scart rgb.
* PS2 through either euro-scart rgb or component.
* modded pal camecube through either euro-scart rgb, component or d-terminal cable.
* panasonic cube through either component or d-terminal cable.
* dreamcast through euro-scart rgb.

I don't think I'm tremendously interested in upscaling.
I'm confident that I can make a euro-scart to jap-21pin adapter with the instructions from some pages back.

I just don't know which unit to go for. The scanlines of the XRGB-2 Plus sound very tempting only I can't seem to find this one anymore. Anyone know anyone selling an XRGB-2 Plus?

I'm a bit oblivious to what the advantages/disadvantages are of the XRGB-3 for my intended use. The biggest advantage is that I have located one for $275 + shipping.

Any advice would be very welcome!

~eretsua.
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I'm looking to get my OutZone and Vapor Trail displayed on my tft.
Should I get the xrgb-2+ or the xrgb-3 ?
I'm leaning towards the 3 but I'm confused if it will work for what I want.
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

All I want to do is hook up these consoles to a CRT-VGA monitor without lag:
go for the 2+ if you can... it has what u need with no lag and has the best scanline feature. a 2 would work also..... 3 has no scanline feature as of now and i believe it has lag except with a certain mode? all that could be solved as time goes by via firmware updates.
Last edited by Strider77 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

^^ So the xrgb-2+ also has the option for the older toaplan boards to be pictured properly ?

Also what about the XSelect-D4 ?
Does this allow me to have the Toaplan boards pictured properly ?

I mainly want to get the older PCB boards, the newer ones are way too expensive for me.
I have an RGB scart to component transcoder but my Dell 2405FPW just shows 'Can't display this mode' :(
Any help would be appreciated !
I've read the whole thread but I'm still confused :oops:
beam

Post by beam »

Michaelm wrote:^^ So the xrgb-2+ also has the option for the older toaplan boards to be pictured properly ?
Sorry, but only the xrgb 2 (without +) will be able to display the Toaplan pcb properly.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Also what about the XSelect-D4
that's just a selector box that will pass threw progressive

get an xrgb2..... u'll be set with that. if your having that tough of a time finding one i bet i could find one for you.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Ok thanks for your answers !

@Strider77:
Around what price do these things go for usually ?
Is 200 euro a good or a high price ?

[EDIT]
Oh well, I just got me a xrgb-2 off ebay. 200 Euro including shipping but if it works it'll be worth it ! I'm such a spoiled impatient luxury addict :oops:
Moonwalker

Post by Moonwalker »

yo folks,

i have some problems with my xrgb-3 and possibly someone can help.

first, i have heavy distorsion on the upper screen in line doubler mode. is there a way to reduce or fix it now?

when i connect my neo geo to it, i have some wandering diagonal lines. with the mega drive the same. why?

i use the pc passthrough option, which works differently from the xrgb-2+ where the system just passed it through when it was on standby. i can live with that, but the is not fullscreen anymore. it stops exactly where the xrgb-3 picture does. so i think it´s not full passthrough like with the xrgb-2+. anyone know a solution?

at last i get only mono sound out of the line out when a source is connected at the game in port. is this normal?

i have the newest firmware and line doubler installed.

then another question. as i use the xrgb on my samsung lcd, i need the xrgb-3 to output 1360x768 widescreen. is this somehow possible? are they going to support other resolutions in the future?

thanks
Moonwalker

Post by Moonwalker »

can nobody help?
Deckers

Post by Deckers »

i got the same problem as you
still don't got any help either

i'm mailing with Play-asia to return my unit
because it's an expensive piece of equipement that i can't use -_-
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

good luck on getting them to let you returm it.... :?
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

beam wrote:
Michaelm wrote:^^ So the xrgb-2+ also has the option for the older toaplan boards to be pictured properly ?
Sorry, but only the xrgb 2 (without +) will be able to display the Toaplan pcb properly.
Word. It's the reason I've never upgraded my unit, it works perfectly with all the stuff I've thrown at it with a minimum of hassle. Good job on picking one up, enjoy.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I got my xrgb-2 in yesterday and made an adapter cable.
Today I checked it and it's great :)
The scanlines are a really nice touch.

Only one thing is a bit of a bummer.
My Out Zone now displays on my tft but I'm missing like 1cm of the right edge of the screen :(
Particularly in the stage where the laser beams come out the side of the screen I can't see where the ones coming from the right are originated.
Is anybody else having this problem with Out Zone and an xrgb-2 ?

But all in all I'm happy I bought the damn thing 8)
jdmishima

Post by jdmishima »

Can someone answer a quick question for me?

With the new firmware upgrade does base 2 play lag-free? Or is is base 1 the only guanranteed lag-free setting?