N64RGBVDC: cheap RGB mod for PAL N64

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
elmimmo

N64RGBVDC: cheap RGB mod for PAL N64

Post by elmimmo »

I stumbled onto this recent mod which the author has called N64RGBVDC.

Introduction (in Spanish):
https://youtu.be/Yv1dDJPmAAs

Installation video:
https://youtu.be/tCnYbc-Gqtc

25€ but currently out of stock. Compatible with PAL Nintendo 64 consoles, which is cool considering that RetroRGB.com’s currently listed compatible mods are about 3-4 times more costly.

Anyone in the know can throw an opinion on expected quality and potential drawbacks?

I am not affiliated and do not know the author in any way.
Last edited by elmimmo on Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RocketBelt

Re: N64RGBVDC: cheap RGB mod for PAL N64

Post by RocketBelt »

Looks like a cheaper way to get basic RGB with no frills out of PAL consoles and later NTSC consoles, but its still a fiddly install needing an experienced solderer, not something you'd bodge in yourself with a cheap soldering iron.

With regards to quality, I would speculate that if it works as he says it does, it should be the equivalent of putting an RGB amp into an early NTSC console. I use one of these, a sync-on-luma RGB cable, and an OSSC in line triple mode with scanlines.
DRC

Post by DRC »

I purchased and installed one into an NTSC N64. It works well, and looks good.
I also have an early NTSC console with basic RGB amp, as well as an older Tim Worthington mod with deblur.

I see no difference across all three played on a CRT, aside from the deblur function of Tim's board. The N64RGBVDC was a much simpler install than Tim's board.
captaineos

Post by captaineos »

I'm in Australia so the cost of Tim W board is not a problem / I'm no gangsta but it's cheap enough to not think about it. I think we really need a region mod for the PAL consoles too - that I'd pay for. Will check the link now.