Nintendo DS VGA out mod in the works by Rhotronix

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gunstar

Nintendo DS VGA out mod in the works by Rhotronix

Post by Gunstar »

I believe they've previously put out a composite video out mod too. This VGA out mod uses an FPGA of sorts and it sounds like an HDMI mod is next.

I didn't get around to trying the composite out mod so I might just keep an eye on this as hooking up to a CRT would be my main goal.

Link to the 'DS Consolizer by Woozle' thread that had some good DS discussion.
NewSchoolBoxer

Re: Nintendo DS VGA out mod in the works by Rhotronix

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hope they go USB-C for HDMI out. I think is the future and dodges $5000/year licensing fee. Probably best to keep audio in 3.5mm / RCA analog space for highest compatibility.

I'd like to see a video quality comparison against GBA Player over digital out -> YPbPr or PAL RGB.
If they're taking native digital video signal and DACing it to VGA then I doubt video quality is better but it could be equal. I like FPGA + VGA idea for being able to scale to optimal 960p for some EDTV CRTs. FGPA downside is mod being expensive.

Not to take anything away from Woozle and his achievements - and he's not the one marketing products - but both DS HDMI mods I've seen and Macho Nacho's video compare against GameCube composite video, which is a TOTAL JOKE thing to do.
Spoiler
I guess I'm saying I hope Rhotronix is transparent in its marketing.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The gamecube looks a hell of a lot better than that over composite, and should not be blurry in the vertical direction, since composite still splits things up into discrete scanlines. So whatever they're doing in that comparison shot, they're clearly doing something in their capture setup that makes it that blurry.
Aquamentus

Post by Aquamentus »

Thank god - been waiting for this for years, searched for a decent priced nitro forever to no avail. I can’t wait to have a consolized DS with one screen on my OLED and one screen on my PVM - my setup is begging for it. I’ll be playing through the dragon quests remakes as soon as this is available and in my DS. Sad it’s not 3DS (dragon quest 7 & 8 3DS are definitive editions and don’t need touchscreen) but I’m sure that will come eventually.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Aquamentus wrote:Thank god - been waiting for this for years, searched for a decent priced nitro forever to no avail. I can’t wait to have a consolized DS with one screen on my OLED and one screen on my PVM - my setup is begging for it. I’ll be playing through the dragon quests remakes as soon as this is available and in my DS. Sad it’s not 3DS (dragon quest 7 & 8 3DS are definitive editions and don’t need touchscreen) but I’m sure that will come eventually.
Yeah same, excited for this, hope the project comes to fruition so we can get 3DS next.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

A DS mod sounds nice, but the possibility of a 3DS one interest me.
Since all 3DS video out mods released to the public have been for USB video out for capture more rather than a direct video out feed.
And while devkits have DVI output (along other nice things for developement), they can be difficult to find as well as expensive as you'll expect.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Rulumi wrote:A DS mod sounds nice, but the possibility of a 3DS one interest me.
Since all 3DS video out mods released to the public have been for USB video out for capture more rather than a direct video out feed.
And while devkits have DVI output (along other nice things for developement), they can be difficult to find as well as expensive as you'll expect.
That's because the PARTNER-CTR Capture units consist of 3 different PCBs linked together, one of them which is a capture card.

Capture Card with Dual Video Outputs board:

Controller, SD Card Slot and WLAN board:

Batteries and Cartridge Unit board:

kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I've daydreamed a lot about implementing two CRTs into a DS emulation setup, via one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284613902802

...or just a straight-up integrated touchscreen CRT (like those ones you would always see at bars 'n stuff).

I am not at ALL familiar with DS emulation, I highly doubt this is something that could be done... but it's fun to think about. :P

Anyhoo - psyched to see a new, non-composite video hardware mod! Anyone here modded one with said composite out board? Would be wacky to see one with the video piped into a RT5X / Koryuu+OSSC / etc
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Any update on this?
I can’t wait to use this mod to output to both my BVM 20F1E!