Another N64 Rad2X RGB UltraHDMI S-Video Composite comparison

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
protivakid

Another N64 Rad2X RGB UltraHDMI S-Video Composite comparison

Post by protivakid »

This was done just for fun far from any professional capacity. I used my Pixel 5 phone camera and took pics of my tv so do what you'd like with that info. That said I still enjoy seeing other's comparisons so I thought I would share mine. Here we have the following:
-Ultra HDMI Modded N64 (Gamma Boost set to the base, scanlines off)
-RGB Modded N64 through a Rad2X (Smoothing off)
-Stock N64 via Monster S-Video Cable
-Stock N64 via Rad2X (Composite, Smoothing off)
-Stock N64 via official Composite cables

Also ignore the vertical lines in some pics, my Pixel 5 would do that when trying to focus on the tv.

UltraHDMI

Rad2X RGB

S-Video

Rad2X

Composite

Flik Character Comparison

Overall I think I like my RGB Modded N64 with the Rad2X best. My UltraHDMI N64 is nice, but the raw pixel look while accurate isn't what I was used to as a kid.
The other options kind of smooth things over some. Scanlines enabled would make U-HDMI look better though. Also the color temperature of the Rad2X on a non-RGB modded
N64 seemed very different compared to the other video cable types. Anyways, what do you all think? Or is this stuff only interesting to me haha?
NewSchoolBoxer

Re: Another N64 Rad2X RGB UltraHDMI S-Video Composite compar

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

I like your test setup. I had this tab open waiting for someone else to weigh in. Doing half price Japanese N64 + GameCube console shopping later this year. I'll start with zero effort S-Video cable I already have for a console with RGB most people agree looks better on SNES and GameCube.

That's important you mention the seemingly off color temperature and I agree. Besides that, Rad2X probably looks the best as you're saying. The raw pixel look, I don't like it either. Artificial from my teenage years even if someone argues it to be a more accurate RGB pulled from the video chip.

I would try a different game with more brightness and color contrast from left to right. The general dullness and darkness on left and simple texture and sky pattern on right help mask low video quality. Can see the difference in the blurry numbers in Composite due to the sharp contrast between dark colors and off-white. The luminance or RGB values have to immediately switch between low/high voltages. There is also the whole concept of N64 de-blur there are a few ways to achieve. YouTube (compressed) video footage I've seen makes de-blur look the same or worse but I've heard it's great from others.