NES Clone PPU with NESRGB?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jamisonia

NES Clone PPU with NESRGB?

Post by jamisonia »

So for funzies I'm thinking of buying a NESessity board and an after market NES Shell and basically making a brand new NES. I really don't want to pull a PPU from an NES, so I was thinking of getting one of the clone PPUs from AliExpress. Does these clone ones have issues with the NESRGB?

I also realize I need to pull the CPU, but appears original ones can be had since they were used in VS. Arcade boards as well, unless someone knows of an aftermarket solution for this as well.

Note I'm just considering doing this as a fun project, I have a regular NES that I have RGB modded that I intend to be my daily driver.
thchardcore

Re: NES Clone PPU with NESRGB?

Post by thchardcore »

You want to find a non PAL clone. Ali used to have a ton. I bought 4 from different sources and all had issues. I would honestly muck with extracting an original.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Not sure how much they go for outside Japan, but I've seen plenty of untested Famicoms for less than the equivalent of $10 here in Tokyo. Although I'd be a bit hesitant to sacrifice one just for the PPU myself as they usually work fine after cleaning, but unmodded ones only have RF output so most people don't even bother testing them.
jamisonia

Post by jamisonia »

So I asked a friend in Japan to look for the shittiest worst condition Famicom they can find. Like one with a broken up case to send to me for this project. I figure that will allay concerns about pulling them from a console that could be stored, if the casing is FUBAR.