Whites appear pink on Sony Trinitron.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DotMatrixMoe

Whites appear pink on Sony Trinitron.

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

As stated in the title, my television has a strange symptom that hopefully isn't related to the vertical collapse I repaired no too long ago.

Here's an image of the symptom: https://imgur.com/a/0vD8M6i

I think the red cutoff is too high, but every color looks fine. White balance maybe? Any help is appreciated.
Peppy Hare

Actually it's an aileron roll.
Josh128

Re: Whites appear pink on Sony Trinitron.

Post by Josh128 »

Horizontal convergence looks quite a bit off to me. Reds hanging off the right and blues hanging off the left. Tweak the H-stat pot and get it right, then see if that doesnt help. If you still have pink whites, adjust your R-drive and R-Cutoff and you should be good.
Last edited by Josh128 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Josh128 wrote:Horizontal convergence looks quite a bit off to me. Reds hanging off the right and blues hanging off the left. Tweak the H-stat pot and get it right, then see if that doesnt help. If you still have pink whites, adjust your R-drive and R-Cutoff and you should be good.
Thank a bunch :mrgreen: , gotta look for a plastic spudger or screwdriver 'cause I'm staying on this Earth!
Peppy Hare

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Is the H-stat pot usually a bit hidden in Trinitron TV sets? It's not this one marked here, right?

And does a Trinitron from the mid-90s also have magnet rings to adjust purity/convergence as well? I can't find them in that pic and I don't remember them when taking it, but I'm a noob after all.

That's from a nice (though dirty, forgive it) KV-X2903 I have which have some color issues as well - sometimes the picture is too blueish, sometimes too yellowish, sometimes redish, but it's clearly always like if it needed a color boost. And it changes on the fly, I'd say depending on the source, though I'm not sure. Tweaking the R/G/B HWBs in the service menu doesn't solve it (nor securing the SCART input/cable, in case). Any advice to diagnose it better?

Sorry for the thread hijack, DotMatrixMoe.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Is the H-stat pot usually a bit hidden in Trinitron TV sets? It's not this one marked here, right?

And does a Trinitron from the mid-90s also have magnet rings to adjust purity/convergence as well? I can't find them in that pic and I don't remember them when taking it, but I'm a noob after all.

That's from a nice (though dirty, forgive it) KV-X2903 I have which have some color issues as well - sometimes the picture is too blueish, sometimes too yellowish, sometimes redish, but it's clearly always like if it needed a color boost. And it changes on the fly, I'd say depending on the source, though I'm not sure. Tweaking the R/G/B HWBs in the service menu doesn't solve it (nor securing the SCART input/cable, in case). Any advice to diagnose it better?

Sorry for the thread hijack, DotMatrixMoe.
No problem mate, I was kind of looking for where H-Stat adjustment was on my Sony Trinitron. According to the self service manual, it might be a magnet on the yoke that needs to be moved.

Peppy Hare

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

That's definitely not a pot.

Which model is yours? It seems it's a pot depending on the model. Mine, I don't know what it has. I'm not even sure it has magnet rings, and the service manual I have only covers the bare minimum.

I don't think I can solve my issue just with convergence tweaking, anyways - the color eventually changes, apparently depending on what's being displayed, and it's never quite correct. With the pure white is very evident - it's never pure anymore.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:That's definitely not a pot.

Which model is yours? It seems it's a pot depending on the model. Mine, I don't know what it has. I'm not even sure it has magnet rings, and the service manual I have only covers the bare minimum.

I don't think I can solve my issue just with convergence tweaking, anyways - the color eventually changes, apparently depending on what's being displayed, and it's never quite correct. With the pure white is very evident - it's never pure anymore.
You're lucky yours might be a potentiometer! Mine is a KV-27S42 of the BA-4D chassis. There's easy cutoff adjustment, but not quite for horizontal static convergence.
Peppy Hare

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Watch out when moving the magnets of the yoke as it seems you can easily alter geometry with just a slight nudge to the entire yoke.

Are color drives/cutoffs pots easily found by name or something? I'm sure I'll need to touch those before the convergence settings in my case.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Watch out when moving the magnets of the yoke as it seems you can easily alter geometry with just a slight nudge to the entire yoke.

Are color drives/cutoffs pots easily found by name or something? I'm sure I'll need to touch those before the convergence settings in my case.
I know they're in the service menu, I'll give that a go first. Unfortunately, if this continues... this is as far my knowledge, and set goes. :(
Peppy Hare

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Ah, so those must be the R/G/B HWBs as they call them in my menu. I thought that maybe there were additional pots or something for this matter. I myself didn't solve my issue by altering them (not the color changing eventually by itself, as that likely just needs repair, but I couldn't get the color boost (specially red) it currently needs either - I was hoping some wise and good soul here could share his thoughts). Good luck with yours!