I know of these:

released:
NeoGeo Mini
Astro City Mini

unreleased:
Astro City Mini V
Taito Egret II Mini

Are there others?

The NeoGeo is bad due to screen, controls, and input lag.

I've read the Astro City has good controls but not a great screen.
NewSchoolBoxer

Re: Mini arcade devices

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

There is the Capcom Retro Station, not to be confused with the Capcom Home Arcade.

Can count the NeoGeo MVSX, though it retails for $450 as a base unit and isn't mini with the stand. I don't think has a video out but does have large screen and a record 50 games. It and the Arcade Stick Pro were hacked to add more games but, according to Arcade 1Up subreddit, John D of Arcade 1Up fame (shame?) put the legal smackdown on distributing said hacks.

If you want to get technical, NeoGeo Mini has a 2018 Christmas Edition and three character color variant Samurai Showdown Limited Editions. The Japanese Mini, International, Christmas and Samurai Showdown editions all have slightly different game lists. From what little review reading I did, seems they all have the same blurry HDMI out.

I assume you wouldn't count the Arcade Stick Pro due to lack of built in screen. It also has a slightly different game list (lol) but clear HDMI out that I verified myself. Seems you get the infamous blur from activating a filter on the Arcade Stick Pro that is permanently enabled on the previous editions. Someone correct me if mistaken.

I have and like the Astro City Mini. I don't think the screen is bad at all but I'm not an expert on LCDs. I got two other controllers to work with the Magic NS adapter that can be used for 1P or 2P. HDMI out looked fine. Save states are a thing which I seriously need for Cotton. I like how nearly every game is playable despite not knowing English and some such as Virtua Fighter are 100% English in their original Japanese form. Note that Virtua Fighter is upscaled to 720p that I think looks very good. Slowdown in replays but not a big deal.

The Astro City Mini and the Arcade Stick Pro have square gates by the way and joysticks are clicky.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Super helpful thank you. I didn't know about the Capcom Retro Station but it looks like just Mega Man and Street Fighter games so no shmups.

It sounds like I should give the Astro City Mini a chance. Where best to buy it in the US?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Where best to buy it in the US?
ordering it from Amazon JP is always the cheapest option.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Ok, only one version?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

This is the new "V" version:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B09NRJCPW3

This is a cosmetic "arcade center" add-on for the "V" version:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B09NRQLCPZ

This is last year's Astro City Mini - currently on sale at a VERY reasonable price:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B08CDYVRZW

Astro City-styled control pads and arcade sticks are currently sold out.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Ordered, thank you.

So many shmups on the V!
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Glad you ordered and hope you enjoy!
Fudoh wrote: This is last year's Astro City Mini - currently on sale at a VERY reasonable price:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B08CDYVRZW
¥8679 + ¥3295 shipping to Atlanta ($106) is pretty sweet. I ordered the Astro City Mini last January for ¥10288 and the matching color control pad for ¥2745 for $128 + $21 shipping. Funny how my shipping was cheaper.
Meanwhile Strictly Limited charged $130 for same Japanese mini before shipping.
I price shop against nin-nin-game and play-asia and Amazon Japan has always been cheaper. They can have stock of things Amazon Japan is out of though.

I prefer the 'Retro-Bit Official Sega Saturn USB' controller with Magic NS adapter over the Astro City pad but the pad has the additional credit button for small convenience.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Funny how my shipping was cheaper.
that's usually because Amazon charges flat rates during pre-orders and early product launch phases and later on adjusts postage according to weight and size. That's why pre-orders are the cheapest option most of the time and why sometimes you get those absurd 21,500 Yen shipping charges when Amazon knows that the parcel's larger, but has no clue about real size or weight.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Received the Astro City Mini V and was very pleasantly surprised with it. I'm a vertical shmups guy and only 2 of them on there but the image is too small for verts anyway. Really looking forward to the V in September!