Old OSSC with DVI port - audio options

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
korpse413

Old OSSC with DVI port - audio options

Post by korpse413 »

I realize I'm late to the party here, but what are my options for audio with the original OSSC with the DVI port? I never adopted the audio board, and they seem to be long sold out.

Goal is to have video and audio out of a modern display.

Does there exist a cable with dvi and 3.5 audio on one side and hdmi on the other?
Guile

Re: Old OSSC with DVI port - audio options

Post by Guile »

You can use an hdmi audio embedder, some have dvi inputs but most have hdmi inputs only and you can use a dvi to hdmi adapter.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You can still order the audio board PCB and the parts and build/install it yourself. That's what I did. However, that was before the global parts shortage, so...
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Have you double-checked if one of the HDMI inputs on your display also has a 3.5mm jack for analog audio? I’ve seen those on a good amount of modern displays, but I don’t know if “newest of the new” still have these dedicated ports. They’ll also often be marked “DVI” despite using a regular HDMI connector… can be pretty easy to overlook the tiny text and black 3.5mm jack on these all-black enormous TVs!

Barring that, keep an eye out for a reasonably-priced Kramer FC-49 or Startech DVI2HDMIA. There's assorted other ones I have seen, I think Monoprice has one as well. HDMI audio embedders seem to be way harder to find than HDMI audio extractors and usually end up costing the same as a powered DVI+audio to HDMI(+ inserted audio). There don’t seem to be any devices out there that can do what you want without needing external power.