PSTV input lag in PSP games Gradius & Salamander Collections

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Konsolkongen

Re: PSTV input lag in PSP games Gradius & Salamander Collect

Post by Konsolkongen »

So do ARK work similar to stock PSP launching? That's what I like most about the Chovy-Sign method (besides reduced lag) that I should be able to transfer saves between my Vita and PlayStation TV using QCMA.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

I can't get Ark4 to run on my Vita TV. When I install the FastArk and try to run the ARK app I get a red screen and a C1-2858-3 error and it crashes.
I've followed the instructions and moved the K.bin to the ARk savedata file.
What a frustrating application! LOL
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

It says 3.60 Henkaku. Maybe that’s the issue? If you follow the most up to date softmodding guides you’ll have fw 3.65.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Konsolkongen wrote:It says 3.60 Henkaku. Maybe that’s the issue? If you follow the most up to date softmodding guides you’ll have fw 3.65.
I have fw 3.65
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Yeah, maybe it requires downgrading to 3.60? Not sure what the difference is between the two :)
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Konsolkongen wrote:Yeah, maybe it requires downgrading to 3.60? Not sure what the difference is between the two :)
But it says on its GitHub that it should work with all versions:
“ Compatible with all PS Vita models on firmware 2.10 up to 3.74, either official firmware or Henkaku/h-encore.”
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Maybe it could be that the exploit ArkFast is installing only works on 3.60 or so firmwares.
Konsolkongen wrote:So do ARK work similar to stock PSP launching? That's what I like most about the Chovy-Sign method (besides reduced lag) that I should be able to transfer saves between my Vita and PlayStation TV using QCMA.
In a sort of simple way, I guess it could be kind of said that Chovy-Sign is more like an exploit to sign the games, ARK is CFW running inside the "PSPEMU" (ePSP). Meanwhile Adrenaline is CFW running on it as well as modifying the PSPEMU itself on various ways (injects custom code on the PSP IPL, the screen filters, running the full XMB and use some PSP versions of some modules instead of the PSPEMU ones, etc).

Using a different graphic filter on Adrenaline can change the input delay amount for sure as an example. The reason why Adrenaline has more input delay could be related to how the graphics filtering and other things for the image display are implemented in Adrenaline, there's a pull request currently open on Adrenaline's GitHub repository about frame pacing and stutter on it.
xorpad

Post by xorpad »

Hi guys! anyone managed to make chovy-sign work with ps1 games? i would love to use it, but i can't find much information, my language is not english forgive me if i write something wrong
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

A little bump, but for the people that has interest on this, the latest version of chovy-sign has support for PS1 games.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Nice. Thank you for letting us know :)

My issues with the previous version of Chovy-sign is that the background or splash screen was altered to say “Chovy-sign” thus deviating from a truly stuck UI-experience. And I would really like an option to overclock the PSP emulation as some games really need it. Otherwise I prefer Chovy-sign to Adrenaline :)
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

I actually managed to get Ark to work. It's not the most user friendly application. It's also quite bareback comepared to Adrenaline with fewer settings.
One thing that's irritating is that it won't run of you have Adrenaline installed and vice versa. Very frustrating.
As for the input lag I didn't notice more or less compared to the basic Adrenaline.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

You can have both installed at the same time and even use one after another, if you can't there's sometjing weird going on

Konsolkongen wrote:My issues with the previous version of Chovy-sign is that the background or splash screen was altered to say “Chovy-sign” thus deviating from a truly stuck UI-experience. And I would really like an option to overclock the PSP emulation as some games really need it. Otherwise I prefer Chovy-sign to Adrenaline :)
Like official games chovy-sign uses an image for these boot splashes backgrounds, on the source code there are images for minis, PSP games and PS1 games. Replacing these by ones in the proper format (same resolution) and then compiling chovy-sign should work. But doing that may be a bit bothersome to some people.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Another little bump, but for people interested in this, now NoPspEmuDrm may be more of what some people here wanted and maybe easier to use than Chovy-Sign.

As the name implies, this bypasses the PSPEMU DRM checks directly instead of patching an already existing game.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I'm forgetting at this point, are you able to turn off the bilinear filtering with this new method or with Chovy Sign? Adrenaline has the filtering menu option where you can turn it off and I'd think even with Sharpscale it'll still try to bilinear filter the 2x scale to Vita res?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I haven't played in a couple years, but I remember Sharpscale disabling any filtering in Adrenaline
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

There is no filtering in ChovySign-games using sharpscale :)
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Rulumi wrote:Another little bump, but for people interested in this, now NoPspEmuDrm may be more of what some people here wanted and maybe easier to use than Chovy-Sign.

As the name implies, this bypasses the PSPEMU DRM checks directly instead of patching an already existing game.

Anyone tried this out? How does the input lag compare to Adrenaline?
I personally feel that all alternatives to Adrenaline are more difficult to set up. Adrenaline just works! But yeah the input lag is noticable. Which is a bummer!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

The main problem for me is that Chovy-sign'ed games can't be overclocked as far as I know. A ton of PSP-games really benefit from running at max clock speed.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

bobrocks95 wrote:I'm forgetting at this point, are you able to turn off the bilinear filtering with this new method or with Chovy Sign? Adrenaline has the filtering menu option where you can turn it off and I'd think even with Sharpscale it'll still try to bilinear filter the 2x scale to Vita res?
If using it'll follow the settings of Sharpscale according to the system output, according to the settings with PSP games you can get 1x, 2x, 4x (this last one only on the 1080i output), preserving the aspect ratio fitted to the screen with or without bilinear filter on all of them. It also has the option to go back to the default stock output settings within Sharpscale if the user prefers to do so.

Note that if applying any filter that isn't the original within Adrenaline it'll always be working from the scaled 544p, since Adrenaline will be filtering the output through the Vita GPU to apply the shaders to the PSP framebuffer output.
RebeL9 wrote: Anyone tried this out? How does the input lag compare to Adrenaline?
I personally feel that all alternatives to Adrenaline are more difficult to set up. Adrenaline just works! But yeah the input lag is noticable. Which is a bummer!
Install the plugin, copy the desired digital game and/or DLC in the corresponding folder within the "PSPEMU" folder, in the case of like copying games from like another account you'll need to use the forked VitaShell LiveArea refresh option for it to create the LiveArea bubble.

Then just launch the bubbles, and it'll work the same way as a normal digital PSP game.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Well, this is not related to PSTV, but since the price of the PSTV is a bit insane these days, I think "consolizing" an original PSP is another route that can be explored.
I found this project which consolizes a PSP-2000 so that it connects to Bluetooth controllers and outputs component video.

https://github.com/ste2425/PSP-Consolizer

This would negate any input lag issues since it's just direct component video output, the only potential lag would be the bluetooth controller lag, but Dualshocks generally have pretty low latency.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

On that note, there’s a Pi / HDMI Solution called “Vita Dock Plus” for anyone who already own a Vita. USB 2 bandwidth isn’t quite enough in practice for full resolution Vita output, but PSP output is fine.

https://github.com/SilentNightx/VitaDockPlus
jd213

Post by jd213 »

GameBox also said they want to do a HDMI consolizer for the PSP-1000, but first they're going to be the OG 3DS, so who knows when it will come out.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Konsolkongen wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:02 am The main problem for me is that Chovy-sign'ed games can't be overclocked as far as I know. A ton of PSP-games really benefit from running at max clock speed.
According to the current main developer of ARK-4, the normal PSPEMU runs at around 444MHz (and so the normal ARK-4 installation), so it should be fine. Latest versions of ARK-4 can also be updated within the ARK-4 menu by the way.

And something I noticed probably about people and their feeling of input lag with this system, since the PS Vita TV is really no more than a PS Vita and as such handheld hardware (from 2011).

The bluetooth may not be as strong as other systems if too far away, so it may be good to play close to the system for a better controller connection and response.
RebeL9

Re: PSTV input lag in PSP games Gradius & Salamander Collections

Post by RebeL9 »

Is there any tool to measure the input lag of the Vita TV?
marus

Post by marus »

Someone recently did some input lag testing between Adrenaline and NoPspEmuDrm and didn't find any notable differences. https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comm ... _with_the/

I don't personally play many action or timing heavy games on portables, so input lag on the Vita isn't something I've put much thought into. If this is something that does concern you though, I think it's worth doing further testing to see if you can corroborate these results, and/or further drill down what actually is causing the lag.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Version 4.20.68 Rev 7 (ARK-X) of ARK was released, allowing to load PS1 games on the PS Vita using the PS Vita native version of the PS1 emulator, instead of using the PSP POPS version.

So this should allow loading PS1 games from it without the limitations of the PEOPS method and without the problems of Adrenaline for anyone interested.

Link of the release: https://github.com/PSP-Archive/ARK-4/re ... tag/r42068
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

That’s cool. But the input lag issue was mainly with PSP games and not PS1 games.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Chovy signed PS1 games do feel pretty laggy though. I also noticed graphical errors in some titles. Disappointing considering PSP apparently had pretty great PS1 playback.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

With PS1 it'll be nice for the frame pacing issues, as they can be more obvious in Adrenaline with PS1 games than PSP.
Konsolkongen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:14 pm Chovy signed PS1 games do feel pretty laggy though. I also noticed graphical errors in some titles. Disappointing considering PSP apparently had pretty great PS1 playback.
The compatibility and errors should be pretty much the same as the POPS (PS1 emulator) from a PSP on 6.60 and 6.61 firmware, the main difference with a PSP is that on a PSP is possible to load older versions of POPS with homebrew instead of the current firmware one from FLASH with homebrew like POPSLoader.

With some limitations as certain firmware versions of POPS won't run on later 3000 model systems and PSP Go systems.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

The main mistake many does is adding filters in adrenaline. Those adds heavy input lag. Especially the one called "Bilinear without scanlines".
It's very easy to spot in games such as Prinny. It makes night and day difference if you toggle filters on and off.