PSA: Fan replacement on Extron SMX series

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HDgaming42

PSA: Fan replacement on Extron SMX series

Post by HDgaming42 »

Thanks to a forum member (vol.2) I was able to source better fans for my SMX 8x8 HDMI/VGA matrix switch!

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Su ... r3yQ%3D%3D

These make a TREMENDOUS difference in sound--swapping the fans makes the unit bearable in a livingroom. Old fans up top, new fans below:

Fan1 is easy to remove and swap.

Fan2 is a bear and requires disassembling the whole unit. It's not difficult, just tedious. The clearance is less than zero, so you will have to pry the side wall outward (this will easily free the top two bolts) until the bottom bolts come free. Tough on the hands.

The fans I bought didn't come with the yellow speed sensing cable, but there's a spot on the fan for them. I did a test and the extron doesn't require them to boot so I left them out.

I didn't have any crimps so cut the existing ones off the old fans and used those. Works like a charm!

So if I can manage to swap these fans out, I think most people on this forum should be able to handle it. Really the soldering was the only semi-tricky part if you're not familiar--and then you could just buy crimped ends, but I didn't feel like waiting for a month for reasonably priced ones to arrive.
Guspaz

Re: PSA: Fan replacement on Extron SMX series

Post by Guspaz »

As the resident Noctua fanboy, I'll head that question off at the pass: Noctua fans couldn't have been used here because they don't make 24V 60mm fans. They have 24V fans for 120mm, 140mm, and on their roadmap for later this year, 40mm, but not 60mm. It's too bad too, because Noctua's 60mm fans have roughly equivalent (slightly higher) airflow than the replacements, but they're the wrong voltage.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Guspaz wrote:As the resident Noctua fanboy, I'll head that question off at the pass: Noctua fans couldn't have been used here because they don't make 24V 60mm fans. They have 24V fans for 120mm, 140mm, and on their roadmap for later this year, 40mm, but not 60mm. It's too bad too, because Noctua's 60mm fans have roughly equivalent (slightly higher) airflow than the replacements, but they're the wrong voltage.
Yeah, Noctua was my first go-to as it's recommended in so many fan replacement guides. A shame they don't have one suitable for this size.
Aquamentus

Post by Aquamentus »

I've never been the type to be bothered by fan noise - then again I live in the deep south where 100% humidity and 90 degree+ is our weather 80% of the year so I always have a ceiling fan and air conditioning on full blast. However, I am concerned with the PSU in my extron switches, did you take a look at it while you were in there? Does it look like it would be a simple replacement? The PSU in my big nasty 32 input 16 output crosspoint has been kind of finnicky over the past year and im sure it will need replacement sooner than later.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

For old gear with noisy fans like this, consider this alternative: add a Noctua noise reduction adapter (reduce the RPM) in between the original fans and connector with jumper wires. Ideal especially when fans are difficult to replace as in this case. Downside: less airflow, but assuming this is for hobby use and the devices won't be turned on for long hours as was expected in their original professional applications, I doubt it will be an issue.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

fernan1234 wrote:For old gear with noisy fans like this, consider this alternative: add a Noctua noise reduction adapter (reduce the RPM) in between the original fans and connector with jumper wires. Ideal especially when fans are difficult to replace as in this case. Downside: less airflow, but assuming this is for hobby use and the devices won't be turned on for long hours as was expected in their original professional applications, I doubt it will be an issue.
it's literally just a resistor
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:For old gear with noisy fans like this, consider this alternative: add a Noctua noise reduction adapter (reduce the RPM) in between the original fans and connector with jumper wires. Ideal especially when fans are difficult to replace as in this case. Downside: less airflow, but assuming this is for hobby use and the devices won't be turned on for long hours as was expected in their original professional applications, I doubt it will be an issue.
it's literally just a resistor
Yep, but they're very convenient, cheap, ready-made with connectors, all you need is to plug wires and nothing more.

edit: though adding a bit of insulation tape helps.