Weird new Composite/Svid add-on board for OSSC

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Weird new Composite/Svid add-on board for OSSC

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003619645536.html

It’s got RGB SCART out, it’s got optional line doubling (idk if on both outputs, or just over component?), it’s weird and from Kaico.

Despite being from Kaico, it doesn’t seem to be a *direct* 1:1 rip-off of anything… anyone tried one of these? They seem to very new
fernan1234

Re: Weird new Composite/Svid add-on board for OSSC

Post by fernan1234 »

First time seeing this. Looks interesting. I wonder if they got some "inspiration" from the Retrotink 2X products. I'd actually be curious to try one out as a standalone and see how it would compare to my current RT2X-Multiformat + HDMI-to-RGBHV setup I have going for composite/s-video into my DT-V CRT. Would be nice to have it all done with a single device, though it would come down to which one has the best NTSC decoder. The RT2X-M's is excellent, the best I've seen really.

Not curious enough to order it from aliexpress though.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Yeah, I am also interested in it as a standalone unit - but also quite happy with my CYP CMT-7 decoder (use it mostly for VHS and Laserdisc on my Apple IIgs monitor and presentation monitor with amazing RGB but horrible comb filtering).

Add on the fact that I hope to eventually fix this Faroudja VS50 you sent me and it seems *very* silly for me to buy this thing... yet my curiousity may get the best of me! Haha
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

If you end up taking one for the team and ordering it, will be interested in hearing your impressions for sure! Somehow don't think there'll be much demand for these so you'd likely be one of the first to check it out on this side of the planet.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Copy pasted a pic of the PCB for convenience’s sake - does the layout look familiar to anyone? It’s Kaico so I assume it’s gotta be using *someone’s* design, haha.

Obviously you can’t really identify the ICs, but if someone can definitely tell this is some weird unit that isn’t just 90% someone else’s pre-existing design, I’ll probably give it a whirl ~for science~
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Well, it's safe to assume that it's using an ADV7280 like everyone else. The Koryuu's firmware is open source (though its licensing situation is ambiguous), so it could be derived from that. Or it could be based on the RetroScaler2x; was it ever confirmed that was using RetroTINK firmware?
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

How did you work out it's from Kaico?
I don't see that anywhere on the page and also didn't see this product in the Kaico site store.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Bitfunx and RetroScaler *are* Kaico. They had also posted the thing on Twitter while it was still being finished before production.

EDIT: RetroScaler is not to be confused with RetroScaler A1, an awesome fully original device
Last edited by kitty666cats on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

Ah thanks. Well it looks good for the price, if it works, and if it is all their own work.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003630133893.html

Found this informative review -

“TERRIBLE at transcoding 480i. I connected a VHS via composite and it adds another layer of interlacing with unacceptable flicker, this is not apparent when viewing in composite video without this device on a CRT. The filter does nothing to stop the flicker in 480i. I do not recommend if you want to simply transcode 480i composite video to RGB or component as it is not a simple passthrough of the video to another colourspace”

…anyone here have a RT2X or Koryuu / is this a issue that exists with either of those (the former on passthrough with a compatible DAC, obviously)? Still quite curious where this thing’s origins truly lie, haha