Pico Fighting Board

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gunstar

Pico Fighting Board

Post by Gunstar »

Essentially a GPIO breakout board for the Pico (Should be noted you can also solder directly to the Pico without the fighting board)

The board is open source: https://github.com/FeralAI/PicoFightingBoard

It currently supports the following formats:
- PC, Raspberry Pi, MiSTer, Android, Nintendo Switch, PS3, PS4 (legacy controller support)
- Select from 3 SOCD modes: Neutral, Up Priority (Hit Box) and Last Input Wins
- Default polling rate of 1000 Hz / 1 ms in all input modes
- Less than 1 ms of input latency
- Left/Right stick emulation via D-pad inputs
- Selectable input modes: XInput, DirectInput, Nintendo Switch

Prebuilt sold here ($25+Shipping): https://shop.feralai.com/product/pico-fighting-board/

Review here
maxtherabbit

Re: Pico Fighting Board

Post by maxtherabbit »

nice!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Wondering if this would work with the undamned lineup? Thinking it should. Might get one to test.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Looks to be a much more affordable option than Brook's boards. It's more expensive than the so-called Zero Delay boards but those actually have a fair bit of lag. Would get this if I didn't already have a stick with a Brook PS4 board.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

When I saw "pico", I was wondering why a fighting board was being made for a children's system with a touch pad. I'm glad that's not actually the case.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

What exactly does "PS4 (legacy controller support)" mean? Certain games accept Dualshock 3's or something and that's what it shows up as?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

cheers for sharing! I have a few Pico's i'm looking to use, so this is great.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

bobrocks95 wrote:What exactly does "PS4 (legacy controller support)" mean? Certain games accept Dualshock 3's or something and that's what it shows up as?
It means that it doesn’t have PS4 support at all really. Some PS4 games (far from all) will allow you to use a PS3 stick, and unless I’m misunderstanding it’s only these titles the Pico board will work with.

The Pico board seems very interesting. Super cheap and with lag that low it will be an essential upgrade for Nintendo Switch sticks, because god knows that thing could use all the lag reduction you can throw at it :)

I am hoping that we will see more systems added to the Pico board in the future.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Got my pico board today.

https://shop.feralai.com/product/pico-fighting-board/

Very easy hookup. The video I watched about it mentioned the terminal labeling being confusing. Not sure if the boards are now relabeled, but it couldn't be simpler - 1p, 2p, 1k, 2k, start, select, grounds, etc.

I hooked it up straight out of the box. Havent checked to see if theres a firmware update. Tested only with a undamned usb on a supergun, and it worked flawlessly in ps3/dinput mode. Responsiveness is noticeably very clean - fast and no dropped inputs that I could detect.

That's all I have to report about it at the moment. Great product for $25.

Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

NoAffinity wrote:Got my pico board today.

https://shop.feralai.com/product/pico-fighting-board/

Very easy hookup. The video I watched about it mentioned the terminal labeling being confusing. Not sure if the boards are now relabeled, but it couldn't be simpler - 1p, 2p, 1k, 2k, start, select, grounds, etc.

I hooked it up straight out of the box. Havent checked to see if theres a firmware update. Tested only with a undamned usb on a supergun, and it worked flawlessly in ps3/dinput mode. Responsiveness is noticeably very clean - fast and no dropped inputs that I could detect.

That's all I have to report about it at the moment. Great product for $25.

Thanks for sharing your initial experience/impression with this! I'll probably try and build the board at some point assuming it will be cheaper than importing a pre-built.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I also tested pc/xinput mode in conjunction with the undamned usb. It too worked flawlessly.

I will probably test switch mode this weekend.

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I installed this in a RetroBit USB Mega Drive controller today. Not having any luck accessing the web configurator on Mac or Windows in VMware.

Does it work fine on a regular Windows PC?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... G_1126.JPG
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Konsolkongen wrote:I installed this in a RetroBit USB Mega Drive controller today. Not having any luck accessing the web configurator on Mac or Windows in VMware.

Does it work fine on a regular Windows PC?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... G_1126.JPG
I'll check it out tonight after work. Haven't tried accessing it yet, myself, because the board seem to be working great out of the box.

On that note, I tested switch mode as well. Works great, as expected.

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you :)
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Konsolkongen wrote:Thank you :)
I tested it out, and yes, web configuration works.

It didn't work on the first plug in. And, it took about a minute for my PC to do the usual "new hardware connected" sound. But, I unplugged and tried again, the PC made the sound right away, and the web configurator came right up.

Following the below instructions, for reference.

1. Hold START while plugging the controller into a computer.
2. Open a browser and navigate to http://192.168.7.1

I saw other instructions that referenced the button as S2, which looking on the button assignment chart, is start (or + in switch mode...same button). But maybe you have things wired uniquely in your application, so that might be something to double check.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you for confirming. I am using S2, and the controller works fine with both Switch and OpenEmu on Mac. There are reports of poor compatibility with web configuration and Macs on github, but I thought that Windows in VMware would bypass that, but obviously not.

It’s not a big deal, but I hope it can be improved one day :)
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Web configurator works fine for me as well, FYI.

TBH i'd love it if they'd also make a version using more dinput buttons. There's enough IO for direct input that i could power a 2p/6-button arcade cab from one Pico... I'd need 24 inputs in total, though it hardly matters which key is which.
Last edited by buttersoft on Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

On Windows, right?

I've tried the new firmware and the beta one too, but I can't get it working here. Even tried on a Raspberry Pi 400 :D

It's not the first time I've seen Macs not working with these things. I hope they can get it working eventually because it's a neat feature :)
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Yeah, i'm on Win10
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Great, I think that confirms the Mac is the problem on my end :)
feralai

Post by feralai »

Konsolkongen wrote:Great, I think that confirms the Mac is the problem on my end :)
GP2040 and PFB dev here. Unfortunately the USB network protocol the web configurator uses isn't natively compatible with Mac and Linux (it's an MS protocol called RNDIS). I did create an enhancement request on the firmware repo to add compatibility for other operating systems, however that's probably a ways out from completion unless someone else picks it up since I have a bunch of other features ahead of it in the priority queue.

Also happy to answer any other questions and take suggestions you all might have.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

feralai wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:Great, I think that confirms the Mac is the problem on my end :)
GP2040 and PFB dev here. Unfortunately the USB network protocol the web configurator uses isn't natively compatible with Mac and Linux (it's an MS protocol called RNDIS). I did create an enhancement request on the firmware repo to add compatibility for other operating systems, however that's probably a ways out from completion unless someone else picks it up since I have a bunch of other features ahead of it in the priority queue.

Also happy to answer any other questions and take suggestions you all might have.
Hey great, thanks for jumping in here!

One request: make a way to update firmware through web configurator. My board is installed in a fight stick which requires loosening screws to access it. Ergo, in order to press the bootsel button, I have to remove a fastened panel, which is a bit inconvenient.

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

feralai wrote:

Hey thank you for your response. There's no rush, I can imagine more exciting improvements than my Mac working with the web configurator :D

One thing, would it be possible to add button combos as a substitute for the Home Button? The MC Cthulhu had this feature where you could press Start + Select to act as the Home button.

This is asking a lot, but ideally this feature should be customisable, as some controllers don't even have a Select button. I'm planning to install this inside a Retrobit Saturn USB pad too. In this case something like L+R+Start = Home would be better I think.

...perhaps it could even use another separate button combo to substitute a Select button :mrgreen:
feralai

Post by feralai »

One request: make a way to update firmware through web configurator. My board is installed in a fight stick which requires loosening screws to access it. Ergo, in order to press the bootsel button, I have to remove a fastened panel, which is a bit inconvenient.
There's a currently undocumented way to get into bootloader mode via hotkeys. Hold SELECT + START + UP while plugging in and it should start in USB mass storage mode (bootloader/flash mode). I'll look into ways to automatically update via the configurator, but knowing what's available in the Pico SDK it might be a hacky workaround type thing.
One thing, would it be possible to add button combos as a substitute for the Home Button? The MC Cthulhu had this feature where you could press Start + Select to act as the Home button.

This is asking a lot, but ideally this feature should be customisable, as some controllers don't even have a Select button. I'm planning to install this inside a Retrobit Saturn USB pad too. In this case something like L+R+Start = Home would be better I think.

...perhaps it could even use another separate button combo to substitute a Select button :mrgreen:
The same SELECT + START + UP shortcut from above can be used to trigger a Home button press while in use. All the current hotkeys are listed at https://gp2040.info/#/usage. I'm currently working on a large button remapping refactor, so remapping any key including hotkeys triggers (like SELECT + START, called function buttons in GP2040) will be adjustable when finished. No ETA, but it is the top priority and likely at least several weeks out.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you I had completely missed that page :oops:

Good to learn that this was already implemented :)
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Cheers fun jumping on here, feralai! Well, I filed my request for more buttons on the github issues page, as you saw. I tried looking at the code but i can't seem to see how to do that. If it's not hard, i'd be happy to help out. If it adds lag by lengthening the scan, it might be nice to have a way to enable and disable extra buttons, but that is definitely beyond my capabilities at this stage :)

Some of the features already there are really nice. I find that playing Tekken 7 means i have to have both dpad (menus) and left analog sticks (game) active, and being able to switch between is nice. I'd actually love to be able to set a ground state, so each time i reset the cab it boots back into dpad mode, and i can change it to left-analog when needed.
feralai

Post by feralai »

buttersoft wrote:Cheers fun jumping on here, feralai! Well, I filed my request for more buttons on the github issues page, as you saw. I tried looking at the code but i can't seem to see how to do that. If it's not hard, i'd be happy to help out. If it adds lag by lengthening the scan, it might be nice to have a way to enable and disable extra buttons, but that is definitely beyond my capabilities at this stage :)
Haha yeah I saw this thread come up on a search and figured I'd drop in :D

Regarding the extra buttons, adding them shouldn't substantially affect performance. Extra buttons would be defined in the USB descriptors of the MPG library dependency. If you want to take a stab at it and need a hand you can hop in our Discord and we can discuss further.
buttersoft wrote:Some of the features already there are really nice. I find that playing Tekken 7 means i have to have both dpad (menus) and left analog sticks (game) active, and being able to switch between is nice. I'd actually love to be able to set a ground state, so each time i reset the cab it boots back into dpad mode, and i can change it to left-analog when needed.
The last Dpad mode does get saved, but I get what you're saying where you want a certain setting to persist instead of retaining the last mode. This would also be a great feature request :wink:
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

feralai wrote:Regarding the extra buttons, adding them shouldn't substantially affect performance. Extra buttons would be defined in the USB descriptors of the MPG library dependency. If you want to take a stab at it and need a hand you can hop in our Discord and we can discuss further.
Sorry for not replying sooner! I saw your post, but life and back-to-school for the kids has kept me pretty busy. I've taken a look at the MPG library and remain somewhat confused. I'll try to drop into the Disc tonight, but I'm in Aus, so there might be a timezone mismatch to contend with :( I'm sure we can work something out.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Well, i haven't gotten around to really looking at the code yet, but...

Has anyone else tried the GP2040 encoder? I installed one on my Tekken 7 setup, and it feels kinda... weird, is the best way to describe it. The GP2040 pico is either noticeably slower than my Daemonbite 1ms pro micro encoder, or it's so much faster my habits are off, and i have time to draw breath between inputs where i never did before. To be honest it feels like the latter, but it would be nice to hear other opinions or take a look at any lag tests vs other encoders.

EDIT: i should probably rephrase and say that while i've seen the initial lag results published about the GP2040, something about it feels different. Maybe to do with debouncing, or... i'm really not sure. Again, it doesn't seem bad, it's just different.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

For me, its perceptibly a slight bit faster than other encoders. I am used to adjusting depending on which of my 7 sticks I fancy playing on for a particular game pairing and/or factors like online lag. Tje pick requires adjusting in the "right" direction - shortening the gap between perception and input.