N64 video went brown while on, now static video/audio

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MOfoSlayer

N64 video went brown while on, now static video/audio

Post by MOfoSlayer »

Hello,

I had my N64 idle on the Banjo Kazooie save select screen and was looking at my computer screen, when I looked back I saw the video output from the N64 was now just completely brown. I turned off the N64 and now on subsequent turn ons I just get either mostly black, some video static, or some video and audio static then the screen goes black with red, green, blue lines (I would usually see this for a couple seconds before my Everdrive V3 would boot. I'm using HDRetrovision component cables, but have tried composite cables as well, plugged directly into the TV, bypassing my component switching.

Based on the static/cracking (to be clear it's just static/crackling, no music) audio output with Diddy Kong Racing and LED blinking on the Everdrive V3 is seems like the cartridges are booting sometimes and then crashing.

I've tried swapping the expansion pak with the jumper pak and cleaning the connectors on the pak port and cartridge port using folded paper and 91% alcohol to clean the pins. I've also tried multiple regular carts.

I installed a N64RGB board in this N64 almost 3 years ago now. For full disclosure I've had only one problem with the N64 since. I had my original Expansion Pak die about 6 months ago. I'm not sure if it's related but about a year prior to that I think I shorted 3.3v to ground temporarily while figuring out the wiring for a no battery mod on my TremorPak Plus. When I powered on the N64 with the short in the TremorPak the output was flickering or rolling, can't exactly recall, and then black screen. I couldn't get the N64 to turn on after that but leaving the PSU completely off for a couple hours got it to turn on again (heard something about self-healing fuses?). I did later figure out the no battery wiring and did have the TremorPak inserted into the Gamepad switched to Rumble while the N64 was on tonight. I removed the Pak from the controller immediately once I turned off the console after the brown screen.

At this point tonight, just to check, I've taken apart the power adapter and made sure the two fuses still have continuity. Testing the power lines the 3.3v line is 3.4v and the 12v line is about 10.5V (heard and saw there is a pot to adjust this but didn't touch it since it hasn't been a problem before). Caps looked fine.

I'm just looking for any advice before I have to reopen the N64 itself and wanted to type this up while it's fresh on my mind. I'm wondering things like did the onboard RDRAM die, did the RCP die, did the N64RGB die, ways to test these things? I have a deblur switch installed for the N64RGB and toggling it changes the layout of the static.

Thank you for any advice. I will post updates if I have more information once the console is apart and I have more time to work on it.
MOfoSlayer

Re: N64 video went brown while on, now static video/audio

Post by MOfoSlayer »

Good news, removing and cleaning under the cartridge connector seems to have fixed the issue. Thread can be closed.