rgb mod with mux

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
spikespiegel

rgb mod with mux

Post by spikespiegel »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create a rgb mod with mux for this tv?

Service Manual, PDF file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1noXKmZ ... sp=sharing
Osirus

Re: rgb mod with mux

Post by Osirus »

Possibly. In fact possibly quite conveniently.

IC601 has RGB inputs on pins 75, 76, and 77; and blanking on pin 78. All 4 pins look to be unused and just pulled to GND using jumpers. Assuming it's not disabled via software you should be able to remove the jumpers and inject your video and blanking there.
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

Osirus wrote:Possibly. In fact possibly quite conveniently.

IC601 has RGB inputs on pins 75, 76, and 77; and blanking on pin 78. All 4 pins look to be unused and just pulled to GND using jumpers. Assuming it's not disabled via software you should be able to remove the jumpers and inject your video and blanking there.
Thanks for the reply, but that's the usual method you've suggested. I'm asking about RGB MOD via MUX, created by MarkOZLAD and published here in the forum.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You might get more attention if you post in the RGB mod thread like everyone else does.
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

spikespiegel wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but that's the usual method you've suggested. I'm asking about RGB MOD via MUX, created by MarkOZLAD and published here in the forum.
Why? That's essentially what this would be.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Deleted
Last edited by nes.og on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

Osirus wrote:
spikespiegel wrote:

Why? That's essentially what this would be.
The method you've suggested is the old method, I'll lose the OSD if I make that mod. The mux method mixes the osd and the external rgb signal.
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

Think your confused,what Osirus said was completely correct.

On your IC the rgb inputs and blanking are unused,meaning if the inputs are not disabled it should work fine along with the osd,no need to do any mux.
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

Pikkon wrote:Think your confused,what Osirus said was completely correct.

On your IC the rgb inputs and blanking are unused,meaning if the inputs are not disabled it should work fine along with the osd,no need to do any mux.
Ah, ok. I'll give it a try then.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Yeah, mux mod only needed if the RGB inputs of the jungle are being used for on screen display. If you have a nice set of unused inputs you can just directly inject your RGB.

It's a good idea if you can find the datasheet for the jungle chip to give you an idea of what your RGB circuit should look like. Without looking at a datasheet I would suggest sending 75 Ohm terminated RGB via 0.1uF capacitors into the RGB pins. For blanking I'd try sending 1.5V into the blanking pin. You could try 5V though, might be fine.

That looks like a Micronas jungle chip to me, though I admit to have not encountering this exact chip. In general with Micronas jungles the "backend" RGB inputs will be enabled but I previously have had issues with wonky images, something to do with the sync processing. Hopefully you won't encounter this.

Looks like the set has some nice jumpers to ground on RGB and Blanking. Jumpers will need to be removed, then install your mod. The empty holes/pads left by the jumpers should give you nice solder points for injection of RGB and Blanking.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

MarkOZLAD wrote:Yeah, mux mod only needed if the RGB inputs of the jungle are being used for on screen display. If you have a nice set of unused inputs you can just directly inject your RGB.

It's a good idea if you can find the datasheet for the jungle chip to give you an idea of what your RGB circuit should look like. Without looking at a datasheet I would suggest sending 75 Ohm terminated RGB via 0.1uF capacitors into the RGB pins. For blanking I'd try sending 1.5V into the blanking pin. You could try 5V though, might be fine.

That looks like a Micronas jungle chip to me, though I admit to have not encountering this exact chip. In general with Micronas jungles the "backend" RGB inputs will be enabled but I previously have had issues with wonky images, something to do with the sync processing. Hopefully you won't encounter this.

Looks like the set has some nice jumpers to ground on RGB and Blanking. Jumpers will need to be removed, then install your mod. The empty holes/pads left by the jumpers should give you nice solder points for injection of RGB and Blanking.
Hello mister Mark, thanks for taking your time to reply. Since those connections seems to be unused, should I actually use a switch there?

Also, I was thinking about using an IC with a push button, instead of the ordinary switch.
One of these two ICs:
https://gr.mouser.com/datasheet/2/115/D ... 542343.pdf
https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/ ... 4885AE.pdf
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Why stop at an unnecessary switch when you could go all out and make a Rune Goldberg machine to turn it on?

https://youtu.be/KVdqwD_bcPs?t=62
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

A simple on off switch with a voltage divider is all that is required.

spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

MarkOZLAD wrote:A simple on off switch with a voltage divider is all that is required.
How about the component video signal? Won't both signals conflict with each other?
Sorry, I'm a noob.

By the way, I took pictures of the board, the circuit seems different (I couldn't even find which jumpers are connecting to the RGB IN) from the diagram. Since I took too many pictures, I'll still need to edit them, I'll post them later.

PS: it's a Micronas chip, it's written on the IC.......

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

The RGB will overlay on any other signal.

Osirus

Post by Osirus »

spikespiegel wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote: By the way, I took pictures of the board, the circuit seems different (I couldn't even find which jumpers are connecting to the RGB IN) from the diagram. Since I took too many pictures, I'll still need to edit them, I'll post them later.
Well, the schematic sure made it look easy. Unfortunately on the actual board it looks like the jumpers are these SMDs on the bottom side of the IC:

(I'm not 100% sure I correctly circled JS634 there.)
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

MarkOZLAD wrote:The RGB will overlay on any other signal.
I still need to be able to use the component video, but I can't find the 4pdt switch to buy anywhere in my area.
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

Osirus wrote:
spikespiegel wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote: By the way, I took pictures of the board, the circuit seems different (I couldn't even find which jumpers are connecting to the RGB IN) from the diagram. Since I took too many pictures, I'll still need to edit them, I'll post them later.
Well, the schematic sure made it look easy. Unfortunately on the actual board it looks like the jumpers are these SMDs on the bottom side of the IC:

(I'm not 100% sure I correctly circled JS634 there.)
Indeed, it is written JS634. I post the other images. Those components looks like resistors, but I've measured them without removing them and they didn't return any resistance. Is it ok to just remove them like removing the old types of jumpers?
Also, is there a way to find out the 5v source without turning on the TV? I was told to look below the component responsible for the antenna, but I don't know which pin is 5v.

I'll post the pictures here (these pictures are better, by the way):

Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Yeah they are likely 0 ohm SMD resistors serving as jumpers. They can be removed to attach caps and grounding resistors. Being SMD it will be more difficult than if they were through-hole jumpers, but the method is still the same.

There should be pin on the IC with constant 5v you can use, labeled Vcc or something like that.
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

Osirus wrote:Yeah they are likely 0 ohm SMD resistors serving as jumpers. They can be removed to attach caps and grounding resistors. Being SMD it will be more difficult than if they were through-hole jumpers, but the method is still the same.

There should be pin on the IC with constant 5v you can use, labeled Vcc or something like that.
I can find the ground, but there's no VCC, only a lot of VINs.

spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

MarkOZLAD wrote:The RGB will overlay on any other signal.
I asked you something before, but I didn't clarify it correctly, my bad.

You mentioned "A simple on off switch with a voltage divider is all that is required. ", and you said afterwards that the rgb would overcome other signals, ok fine, but... if I only use a simple on off switch, then I turn it off, will I be able to use the video component signal again even if the rgb signal is coming from the external source?
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

The toggle switch is only to activate blanking on the RGB inputs. When toggled OFF all inputs should function the same as they did with an unmodified TV.
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

How about the voltage, any of the VINs is 5v?
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Not the VIN pins, I think those are video inputs or something.

Look at the VSup pins - 2, 43, 46, 87, etc. If those are constant 5v you should be able to tie your divider in there.
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

Osirus wrote:Not the VIN pins, I think those are video inputs or something.

Look at the VSup pins - 2, 43, 46, 87, etc. If those are constant 5v you should be able to tie your divider in there.
I'll try the pin 87 VSUP5.0BE then.
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

There's 5v, but the diagram says it's AC current.

spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

Just finished the rgb mod, the screen is 90% black and it seems to be split in half. What's going on?