Tri sync auto switching possible on a Raspberry Pi?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nes.og

Tri sync auto switching possible on a Raspberry Pi?

Post by nes.og »

Looking to do automatic Tri Sync switching based on game on a Raspberry Pi with my arcade chassis/monitor (15KHz, 24KHz, 31KHz)

Doing some research it seems this is only possible using Switchres?

Looks like CRT Switchres is no more and there is just Switchres as of version 2?

I see this should be supported on RetroArch but am not sure about RetroArch on a Pi.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
kitty666cats

Re: Tri sync auto switching possible on a Raspberry Pi?

Post by kitty666cats »

nes.og wrote:Looking to do automatic Tri Sync switching based on game on a Raspberry Pi with my arcade chassis/monitor (15KHz, 24KHz, 31KHz)

Doing some research it seems this is only possible using Switchres?

Looks like CRT Switchres is no more and there is just Switchres as of version 2?

I see this should be supported on RetroArch but am not sure about RetroArch on a Pi.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
You should be able to easily set per-game settings... unless you mean you are gonna be dealing with any niche games that switch resolutions *mid-game*, which would be a problem. Otherwise, you should be fine - just need to sort out which games are which res/frequency and do a little work.

And if you want to use any interlaced resolutions, you will need to rock a HDMI to VGA
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Thanks for your response. I don’t see anyway to specify scan rate per game, only resolution. I’m going to go the Groovy Mame route for better performance for high res games.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On Retropie (and platforms based on it), you get the run command settings, which you can configure per game. Here you can define any output resolution you like.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Fudoh wrote:On Retropie (and platforms based on it), you get the run command settings, which you can configure per game. Here you can define any output resolution you like.
Thanks Fudoh, I had looked into the run command and but don’t see how to set the horizontal scan rate.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

I believe you can only have the tender resolution switch per core/game and not the video mode hence the need for switchres.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have used this for actively putting some games into 15khz at 240p while others into 31khz 480p. Those are standard modes defined through the CEA timings on the Pi, so just can simply call them through the run command setting (or by manually editing the videomodes.cfg file).

For 24khz you would use an available custom slot, but once you have defined the timing as well, you can set it just as easily.

It's certainly easiest to do this manually and not through the run command option screen. I would just use this once to see where the "per game" information is stored and then you can duplicate that info manually as needed.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Fudoh wrote:I have used this for actively putting some games into 15khz at 240p while others into 31khz 480p…
Thanks for breaking down for me, I appreciate your time. Is there a benefit to switchres? It is part of RetroArch and was in Lakka at one point.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

This is funny timing, because I just got one of these on eBay:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/samsung/br ... Master.pdf

I dunno if I'll forego the 24bit VGA hat (I *do* love it) and get a HDMI to VGA goin'... because that way 480i will be a possibility as well. But then again, most games I would even partake in on a Pi are likely either originally 240p or 640x480/other lower computer resolutions!
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Nice monitor, I just picked up a similar Commodore one that also has TTL and analog 15KHz/31KHz. What 24 bit hat do you have? I have a RetroTink Ultimate.