How do I connect a PC to it? - 19 "LG Flatron

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DotMatrixMoe

How do I connect a PC to it? - 19 "LG Flatron

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Hello, I found a listing with these ports on the back of what appears to be a CRT computer monitor.

I'm aware of BNC RGB connectors, but I don't know what VD and COMP HD is. Perhaps one of them is sync? Help!
Peppy Hare

Actually it's an aileron roll.
SavagePencil

Re: How do I connect a PC to it? - 19 "LG Flatron

Post by SavagePencil »

Pretty sure you have a monitor that will take two types of sync.

If you’re outputting RGBS, you’ll plug your composite (H+V) sync into the COMP plug. And ignore the VD input.

If you’re outputting separate Horizontal and Vertical sync—like most VGA cards—you’ll attach the Horiz to the HD one and Vertical to VD.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

SavagePencil wrote:Pretty sure you have a monitor that will take two types of sync.

If you’re outputting RGBS, you’ll plug your composite (H+V) sync into the COMP plug. And ignore the VD input.

If you’re outputting separate Horizontal and Vertical sync—like most VGA cards—you’ll attach the Horiz to the HD one and Vertical to VD.
Peppy Hare

Actually it's an aileron roll.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

For connecting it to a PC, if your GPU supports analog video output, either via dsub or the analog pins of a DVI-I connector (the last such cards were the GeForce GTX 900 series), then just use the appropriate VGA or DVI-to-VGA cable. If it's a newer GPU, the easiest way is going to be a DisplayPort to VGA cable. Better the actual DP-to-VGA cable so that the DAC is in the VGA head and the signal stays digital the entire way, though an adapter is fine if you use a high quality VGA cable. All the VGA cables I had lying around were crappy, so for me using the digital cable made a big improvement over the VGA cable.

Those types of adapters max out at around 1080p60 or so, give or take, but there are some adapters out there that aren't too expensive that can do at least twice that pixel clock, see some suggestions people have here: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... _hardware/

For the more basic adapters/cables, I normally go for Cable Matters stuff, but my daily driver uses a Cable Creations DP-to-VGA cable since that's what was in stock, and it's working fine for driving a 1080p60 monitor over VGA.